IGNORED

Help me, O Potterphiles

Kitty

Totally agree Neville/Luna. He would respect her for her smarts and understand her eccentricity. She would understand his feeling of being an outsider and respect his Herbology skills. He would end up a Professor at Hogwarts and she would continue her dad's work of running the paper. I think they would be a great couple (much better than Ron/Hermione).

Also, film Neville? He became HOT. And Luna was already cute as a button in the films :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I intend to use photos of post movie Neville to reassure my boys when they go through that awkward teenage stage. His metamorphosis as he finished puberty was amazing.

Looked up Matthew Lewis pics through the ages - ah-men, _lilith. Ah-men.

Have to disagree on Neville-Luna pairing. Neville grew up with a critical, domineering grandma who never for a second let him forget that he is, obviously, not as talented and brave as his parents (although the scene at St. Mungo's broke my heart). He doesn't have Harry's chutzpa and was mostly at the bottom of the social food-chain at Horwarts.

I can see grown-up Neville, better looking than his teenage self but still doesn't see himself as attractive, with two possible partners: the bitchy domineering type who will start out the relationship with helpful suggestion to improved Neville's wardrobe, taste in music, familiar ("honey, don't you think once we lose Trevor we should get a nice, I don't know, pure-bred kneazle?") and friends. She will be uber-polite to Grandma Longbottom while mercilessly dissing her among her friends. She will provide Neville with a stylish home and introduce him to sushi. They will have the requisite 2.4 kids and she will leave him a few days before his 40th birthday. Alas, the only girl who fits the bill is Pansy Parkinson (ugh). Probably not going to happen.

Another option for Neville is to go full-tilt badass. I can see him dating a non-wizard girl who is Lisbeth Salander lookalike. His Gran would loathe her and the feeling would be mutual. With her he wouldn't be stressed out about his wizarding skills. Kids will not even be on the horizon. For the first time in his life he won't feel like he's the weakest link.

Luna is lovely, I would totally have her as a friend, but she seems way behind her peers in anything to do with romantic relationship. She's a late bloomer - she's Ginny's age, but Ginny at fourteen is busy snogging (love the word) her way through Hogwarts, while Luna is still deep in latency. For some reason I see her with an older guy and no one who has known her as a teenager.

I was so happy when Ron and Hermione finally got together in the books, I was beaming at the book like an idiot when she kissed him and I re-read that part several times. Honestly, it was such a long time coming I never thought that it would happen. However, I don't like that they got married. I think they should have had a relationship and said that was fun but let's just be friends now. Like everyone else said, I don't really see them working together, and being truly happy, in the long term. I like that it hinted at Luna and Neville together in the last movie but I don't necessarily think that it goes against Neville marrying Hannah Abbott, he can have a relationship with someone at 17 and not marry them, even though that's who everyone else ended up with!

In my opinion, the last book, and by extension the whole series, would have been a lot better if everything has just wrapped up after the war and we didn't the whole 17 Years Later. It read like really bad fan fiction and I think it ended the series on a weird note. It was like Rowling was just trying to cram as many names and as much information in as possible. I get that she was trying to show that the wizarding world went back to normal and people were happier but that didn't really come across while reading it. It was just a list of really bad names.

And finally, movie Harry and Ginny were absolutely terrible. All their scenes together were SO uncomfortable to watch. It was just so awkward and weird.

Harry's a bit of an arsehole too!

I agree Snape ain't nice but Harry isn't a wee angel either.

Agree with this. My thought was always that Snape couldn't love Lily as much as he said. He obviously hated James more than he loved her, otherwise how could he treat HER son like yesterday's toast?

Mela99, I think Snape loved Lily very deeply indeed - he's a person who will not tolerate half-assed attempts at anything, love included. He treated Harry like yesterday's toast because his beloved has died protecting James' child. The one he really wanted to live was dead, while the child of his arch-enemy is alive (and looking more like his father every day). I'm not sure Snape's love for Lily was the healthy kind that could have led to a relationship if he wasn't a dickwad who turned to the dark side, I think it was more of an obsession. Her love was definitely not enough for him to stop being a bitter, angry and mean social outcast with a dire need of Head and Shoulders.

I liked the character of Snape a lot as one of the most interesting ones, as you say nokidsmom. I actually found the Lily backstory to be shit though.

It kind of de-complexified him. I'm not one of the folk who thought he was gay (though it might have been interesting if he was) but I was expecting something a little less obvious than "YEEARGH UNREQUITED LUV" for him. I hadn't read his character that way at all and was hoping for something a little more...nuanced?

I'm probably just a weirdo...

That's not at all weird, I actually kind of felt the same way. Because I'm pretty accepting of canon, though, I just didn't say anything about that. But yeah, you'd think a guy like Snape would have a more nuanced backstory.

I wish JKR had gone more into his home life, because I think that would have been better. I think there's parallels between his father's abuse and his treatment of Lily, but unlike Eileen, Lily realized what was going on and walked away. Eileen did not.

Ooooo, I have an idea for a fanfic...! Though I don't typically write fanfic, it's a pretty good idea, no?

I love the character of Snape, but he's a real bastard.

I don't really like Luna. That's my big unpopular HP thought. I mean, I love the idea of Luna? I like what a little weirdo she is and how kind she is. Buutttt that 'well, my dad says this' 'my dad says blah blah nargles' drove me nuts. I would have liked it so much more if she wasn't just parroting her father. It was a little creepy.

Archived