IGNORED

Kim at LiaS--is she joking about her gun?

Hisey

Kim at Life in a Shoe just posted about her search for a new gun, how happy she is with it, etc. I'm Ok with people buying guns, I guess, but I was surprised by this:

"My old gun has a big frame, and though I usually wear it around the house, it’s heavy and very tricky to conceal in normal clothing."

http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stre ... %2Ffeed%2F

She wears her gun around the house? Why? I thought she lived on acreage in the country? What would she need to protect herself from? And what about the 10 children who are always around her?

Do you think she was joking?

I haven't seen it in pictures in the past, but it wouldn't put it past her. What the hell though! The only comment on there right now is someone asking about how she prevents it from shooting her damn kids. I'm freaked out that she specifically wanted a gun that DIDN'T HAVE A SAFETY. Really?

I can get them wanting to have guns b/c of the land that they live on--a wild boar almost killed my husband's friend on their land in TX.

Whenever I'm in Ohio (where you can carry concealed weapons), I wonder how many people have guns.

I think when it comes to fundies, it's safest to assume that they are all heavily armed and carrying. Remember that display of weaponry at Noah and Dorothy's wedding?

I can't see wearing a weapon around the house. But in butt dust Tejas with the rattlesnakes it would be a good idea if one was doing a walk about.

Kim at Life in a Shoe just posted about her search for a new gun, how happy she is with it, etc. I'm Ok with people buying guns, I guess, but I was surprised by this:

"My old gun has a big frame, and though I usually wear it around the house, it’s heavy and very tricky to conceal in normal clothing."

http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stre ... %2Ffeed%2F

She wears her gun around the house? Why? I thought she lived on acreage in the country? What would she need to protect herself from? And what about the 10 children who are always around her?

Do you think she was joking?

I have to sign into google reader but don't have an account, is there another way?

Someone posted a comment on her blog asking why she carries at home...she talks about how its to teach the children to respect guns...

These reasons are a big part of why I carry at home, but there’s more. I plan to blog about it soon.

I think its to kill the zombies when they attack!

Yes, but carrying a gun at home?

While you are watching TV? Wrestling with kids? Nursing a baby? Chopping carrots? Working on schoolwork? Vaccuuming?

Why carry a gun at home, unless you feel terribly unsafe all the time? This woman must have serious problems.

Sorry, everyone, didn't see there was already a thread on this. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7339

Kim from LIAS walks around her house (containing several small children and babies) carrying a loaded gun. She describes her new purchase here: inashoe.com/2012/02/how-to-choose-new-gun-for-woman/. A commenter asks

why carry the gun around the house? how do you overcome the fear (not yours, mine) of accidentally discharging the gun when littles crawl all over you and rough and tumble play?

and Kim replies

A holster that fits a gun properly will cover (and therefore disable) the trigger, so the chance of accidental discharge is greatly reduced...we are using this opportunity to teach the little ones to respect guns. They see and know that I’m carrying, so they know better than to climb or jump on me without warning. Having it out in the open provides a much better reminder than when it’s concealed. Any impulse they may have to touch it without explicit permission is quickly addressed, because I’m RIGHT THERE.

Gah!

A) While a holster might reduce the chances of an accidental discharge, it definitely does not eliminate it!

B) No, your 1 and 3 year olds, at the very least, do not understand the ramifications of you carrying a loaded weapon and NO, they do not "know better" than to jump up on you without warning! That's what babies do! They're not going to politely tap you on your shoulder and say, "Excuse me mother, but I would like some physical contact. Is now a convenient time for you, or might your gun discharge if I climb up?"

and

C) I'm sure you'll quickly address any impulses to touch your gun that you notice, but what about when one of your bajillion little ones sneaks up on you and starts fiddling with your gun (that you carry in a holster on your BACK) without you noticing, while you are attending to something else?

This situation is a recipe for disaster! Her kids are so cute, I hope she reconsiders before endangering their lives in this way. Keeping a gun safely locked away somewhere in the house because you live in the middle of nowhere in Texas and there are mountain lions roaming about is one thing, but carrying a loaded handgun on your person while you are dealing with multiple small children is quite another!

Oops, in the time it took to type my rant, someone posted another thread of the same topic. Mods, please merge. :)

I live in the south and most people here have guns, but I have never in my life heard of the mother of upteen dozen wearing a gun around the house.

Good lord, it's like they're trying to out stupid each other. No safety????

This is so upsetting to me! I actually just started another thread about this, because I didn't see this one (oops! I did look to see if there was already a thread, I promise.)

Here's what I said:

Kim from LIAS walks around her house (containing several small children and babies) carrying a loaded gun. She describes her new purchase here: inashoe.com/2012/02/how-to-choose-new-gun-for-woman/. A commenter asks

why carry the gun around the house? how do you overcome the fear (not yours, mine) of accidentally discharging the gun when littles crawl all over you and rough and tumble play?

and Kim replies

A holster that fits a gun properly will cover (and therefore disable) the trigger, so the chance of accidental discharge is greatly reduced...we are using this opportunity to teach the little ones to respect guns. They see and know that I’m carrying, so they know better than to climb or jump on me without warning. Having it out in the open provides a much better reminder than when it’s concealed. Any impulse they may have to touch it without explicit permission is quickly addressed, because I’m RIGHT THERE.

Gah!

A) While a holster might reduce the chances of an accidental discharge, it definitely does not eliminate it!

B) No, your 1 and 3 year olds, at the very least, do not understand the ramifications of you carrying a loaded weapon and NO, they do not "know better" than to jump up on you without warning! That's what babies do! They're not going to politely tap you on your shoulder and say, "Excuse me mother, but I would like some physical contact. Is now a convenient time for you, or might your gun discharge if I climb up?"

and

C) I'm sure you'll quickly address any impulses to touch your gun that you notice, but what about when one of your bajillion little ones sneaks up on you and starts fiddling with your gun (that you carry in a holster on your BACK) without you noticing, while you are attending to something else?

This situation is a recipe for disaster! Her kids are so cute, I hope she reconsiders before endangering their lives in this way. Keeping a gun safely locked away somewhere in the house because you live in the middle of nowhere in Texas and there are mountain lions roaming about is one thing, but carrying a loaded handgun on your person while you are dealing with multiple small children is quite another!

I'm not surprised she is carrying a gun at home. Some of the older kids probably already know how to shoot guns.

Yup, a few posts feature trips to the hunting ranch, complete with pics of the girls 12 and up shooting does while much younger children look on. If hunting is your thing, fine, as long as you use the meat (which they do). I'd prefer they not bring the little ones along, but whatever. I wasn't so appalled by that. But carrying a loaded gun around your house is a totally different matter, as far as I'm concerned.

and Kim replies

Gah!

and

WHAT. Every time I think fundies can't amaze me more. Then they do.

I read a blog once which was about personal safety. I didn't like the bloke or the tone of the blog, but he recounted an incident which made a good point. He was at a personal safety class and a woman there said she was worried about being attacked in the shower if someone broke in. So the instructors told her about waterproof gun bags and the like and the guy was just standing there aghast. Finally he said "Either you live in the middle of a war zone, you're suffering from serious paranoia or you have pissed off some people you REALLY shouldn't have. Because most people would be happy just to lock the door when they shower. They don't need to be armed."

This is the same. I am fairly pro gun for a lefty ;) It's totes obvious why you would need one if you live in the back of beyond with dangerous animals. It is utterly obscure to me why you would carry while hanging about with your kids in the house. If there is a present danger so bad as that, you'd be better living almost anywhere else.

I get an eerie sense that the quiver full of arrows isn't sufficient for these folks to do battle with the infidels and they're now gonna depend more and more on St. Smith and Wesson.

Her kids are so cute, I hope she reconsiders before endangering their lives in this way.

It's OK to endanger your kids' lives if they're ugly?

It's OK to endanger your kids' lives if they're ugly?

In my opinion, kids in general are cute! I don't think there's such a thing as ugly children.

In any case, of course I feel the same way about wanting to protect all children, not just hers. I would be equally upset if i heard about anyone doing such a thing. Sorry if I was somehow unclear...

I think that sends a really scary message to kids - "obey Mommy or she might (accidentally) shoot you!!"

I mean, I think spankings are bad, right? But how much more scary to think that an impulsive hug or jump could kill/maim you or your mom or your siblings??

*shudder*

I just feel so uncomfortable with guns around my kids that I cannot imagine having them in the house.

My grandfather loved guns and collected certain antique ones. When he died, the family divided up the guns. Two of them were supposed to be given to me, but they are in my mother's storage unit. I cannot keep my kids out of my makeup and shoes, how could I bring a gun into this house?

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be astounded by KimC. My husband hunts and has a concealed carry permit, so we obviously have guns in our house. However, when the guns are not in *actual* use, they are locked up in the gun safe. I can't imagine why she thinks she needs to have a gun on her body at all times. If she's really worried about the critters, she could get a biometric safe (opens when it scans and recognizes her fingerprints) and mount it near the door for quick access. Carrying a loaded, UNSAFETIED gun just seems like begging for an injured or dead child. Crazy woman.

Kim, honey: you probably read here but please, dear, consider the numbers:

How often do intruders come so close to you that a bullet from your handgun could hit them? Now think - how often do your children come close enough to you that a bullet from that same handgun could hit one of them? I realize that you're a proud graduate of SODRT, but even you can probably see which event has a statistically greater possibility of actually happening.

During a forensic seminar I once attended, I saw a slide I'll never forget: an 8-year-old's head split in half by a shotgun shell, fired into his face when a sibling became angry and pulled out Daddy's gun in order to get even.

• 2 weeks later...

Ressurecting this thread as I was just reading the post and found this in a comment, courtesy of "Mrs. R" (and "Charlene M") makes a similar comment:

It has been proven again and again, when guns are outlawed crime increases. When gun ownership is legal crime decreases.

Uh...really? Proven by who, exactly? Because I'm pretty sure that Canada, the UK and a lot of other countries with gun control have lower violent crime rates than the US--definitely lower rates of crime involving guns.

Archived