IGNORED

“I was attacked by a pig online�

Burris

I applaud burris for her (as usual) insightful and incisive commentary, and I agree with her that the fundamentalist / dominionist mindset engenders learned helplessness in some females.

Without taking a thing away from those, I think Christianity is a minor player in these episodes. These women seem to be of the mindset to have learned helplessness and embraced victimhood wherever they lit.

I can even imagine them as secular humanists who decide that their own personal paths to their fullest potentials are paved along a version of the "Real Housewives" path: clever enough to catch a prosperous mate and then lead a life of leisurely intrigues on his (or her) dime.

Ladies like this are drama queens and professional victims who will use whatever's at hand as tools for their benefit.

It ticks me off royally when they use my religion and cite my Savior's name in their ruses, however.

That attitude drives me insane. I don't think this has anything at all to do with her religious beliefs .. this is just her plain defensiveness because she doesn't feel she should have to get a job. Suck it up lady.. if you want to be an actual helpmeet to your husband don't leave him floundering when you don't have enough money to pay your freaking rent - why place all that burden on him ? You can work opposite shifts if you need to... or if you feel that strongly about never having a regular job put up an ad and do childcare, or go clean houses or something - anything .. just bring in some damn money. If you could afford to stay home that is great - but if you are having to constantly move because you can't pay the rent - you can't afford to stay home. Not that complicated.

This, totally. There are also lots of ways she could make money online from home if she really wanted to help instead of whine about persecution and think she's somehow gaining brownie points with God for forcing her family into unstable living arrangements so she can live the type of lifestyle she prefers. I know a lot of women who stay at home out, many of those because of their of religious convictions. Thing is, at least 2/3 of them do something to bring in income - childcare, etsy type businesses, call centers, writing, data entry, all sorts of work can be done from home, but I guess she finds it more noble to spend online time complaining and name-calling instead of helping her husband and herself out by picking up a little work.

Jolene, if you are reading this, get over yourself and realize that sometimes life doesn't work out like we wanted and we have to adapt. I'm in a similar situation to you - I dropped out of college to get married, then quit work to stay home with my son, during a time period where my husband went through 2 layoffs in 3 years. We suddenly went from making around $70,000 per year to around $25,000. I really didn't want to put my son in daycare, so I hunted around until I found some online work. It's still hit or miss, but it helps and my husband is so much less stressed out. Check out WAHM.com, "No Job For Mom", or "Rat Race Rebellion", and you can find some ideas. Yes, many women online have made an idol of of gender roles, but any of those same women do work from home some. The Bible even has examples of women running home businesses - the Proverbs 31 woman, as well as many New Testament women like Lydia the seller of purple dye and Tabitha/Dorcas who made clothing (she was raised from the dead by Peter in the book of Acts). Sometimes being a helpmeet means helping your husband shoulder a load for a while and taking some stress off him, rather than trying to live up to some image in your head or impress your blog readers with how "unselfish" you are (in quotes because your behavior is very self-centered - selfishness isn't measured by material goods, but by placing your wants above the needs of those around you).

I applaud burris for her (as usual) insightful and incisive commentary, and I agree with her that the fundamentalist / dominionist mindset engenders learned helplessness in some females.

Without taking a thing away from those, I think Christianity is a minor player in these episodes. These women seem to be of the mindset to have learned helplessness and embraced victimhood wherever they lit.

I can even imagine them as secular humanists who decide that their own personal paths to their fullest potentials are paved along a version of the "Real Housewives" path: clever enough to catch a prosperous mate and then lead a life of leisurely intrigues on his (or her) dime.

Ladies like this are drama queens and professional victims who will use whatever's at hand as tools for their benefit.

It ticks me off royally when they use my religion and cite my Savior's name in their ruses, however.

You make a good point. Whatever happened to the Protestant work ethic?

That attitude drives me insane. I don't think this has anything at all to do with her religious beliefs .. this is just her plain defensiveness because she doesn't feel she should have to get a job. Suck it up lady.. if you want to be an actual helpmeet to your husband don't leave him floundering when you don't have enough money to pay your freaking rent - why place all that burden on him ? You can work opposite shifts if you need to... or if you feel that strongly about never having a regular job put up an ad and do childcare, or go clean houses or something - anything .. just bring in some damn money. If you could afford to stay home that is great - but if you are having to constantly move because you can't pay the rent - you can't afford to stay home. Not that complicated.

I bet she would be quick to criticize a "welfare queen" who chooses to have many children and stay at home with them.

There are plenty of ways to go back to work without having to put your kids in daycare. I smell some entitlement here. Lots of poor women make it work, but she cannot be bothered.

This. ^^^ It is not about being fundie it is about making excuses and hiding from reality. Oh and probably a personality disorder or three is driving their not so charming whines about how "persecuted" they are. :roll:

Archived