IGNORED

Horribly titled adoption blogs

LilMissMetaphor

Okay, so what the hell is wrong with people?

Our Two Egg Rolls?

Journey to our China Princess?

Our Little Lotus Flower?

(all listed under favorite blogs at porknbeansinchinaDOTblogspotDOTcom)

You can't make this shit up. :evil:

Yeah, you can't make it up it seems. I can't even get past the "Pork N Beans" part...WTF? :doh:

I'm also pretty sure the Chinese don't eat egg rolls that are common place in "Chinese" buffet, so that reference is just...ugh...

The fans and the lanterns are a nice generic obviously predictable touch. Maybe they can have David Bowie playing as background music (like the website of old, circa 1996):

I'm most taken aback at the January 15th post with the "FBWC" acronym. Why in the world would they feel more blessed than other families because they chose to adopt? I'm not saying adoption is a bad thing but it seems that Christian families feel that they're entitled to a "holier-than-thou" attitude when bragging about their newly adopted kin. Kathryn Joyce talked about evangelicals and adoption in The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/article/160096 ... on-crusade

Wow. Yeah, that's all kinds of cringeworthy on all kinds of levels. Some of the stuff just surfing around in there and links to there just seems... fetishistic, even if well-intentioned on the parents' part.

Yeah, you can't make it up it seems. I can't even get past the "Pork N Beans" part...WTF? :doh:

I'm also pretty sure the Chinese don't eat egg rolls that are common place in "Chinese" buffet, so that reference is just...ugh...

The fans and the lanterns are a nice generic obviously predictable touch. Maybe they can have David Bowie playing as background music (like the website of old, circa 1996):

I'm most taken aback at the January 15th post with the "FBWC" acronym. Why in the world would they feel more blessed than other families because they chose to adopt? I'm not saying adoption is a bad thing but it seems that Christian families feel that they're entitled to a "holier-than-thou" attitude when bragging about their newly adopted kin. Kathryn Joyce talked about evangelicals and adoption in The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/article/160096 ... on-crusade

The story from the Nation was very worthy. Thanks so much for posting it. :clap:

What, are they going to start calling them "Oriental" too?

Am I a bad person if the first thing to pop into my head was an adoption blog using the phrase "Oriental Rugrats"?

Ugg that article from The Nation hits a bit close - a fundie friend of mine is adopting a boy from China and all of her emails/fb posts about him have mentioned making him "a warrior for Jesus" and "turning him from his sinful ways." FFS, he's a 3yo boy...

Why in the world would they feel more blessed than other families because they chose to adopt? I'm not saying adoption is a bad thing but it seems that Christian families feel that they're entitled to a "holier-than-thou" attitude when bragging about their newly adopted kin.

Because for fundie families (considering Emma, LL and the like), cultivating a holier-than-thou attitude is the primary reason that they adopt. They don't choose adoption after suffering infertility; they already have more kids than they can take care of. They don't even feel a need to add more children to the family through adoption, because they go on to give birth to more children. They don't do it for the sake of the child when they beat them, ignore them, insult them and otherwise treat them completely differently from their bio kids. They desire compliments from their community and the smug satisfaction of thinking they're winning brownie points for jesus.

I shudder to think what these people would have called their blogs if they had adopted children from Africa. :?

I shudder to think what these people would have called their blogs if they had adopted children from Africa. :?

slickcat said something about "brownie points" and I had a vaguely inappropriate blog idea.

A lot of adoption blogs have food names. It's kind of an odd trend.

I really dislike the way that Evangelicals push adoption. My old church was full of adoptive families (their kids were pretty much the only non-white kids in the church), and the church decided to call it a "ministry". Adopting was considered a ministry, and then they had someone to pray over the adopted kids to remove their inherited sins (people there were really into the "ancient paths" stuff). Last year some friends were planning on adopting a son from Ethiopia and they had a big fundraiser where the stated goal was to "help save an orphan and put him in the arms of __ and __". She's now pregnant again and I haven't heard anything about the adoption in a while, so I don't know what's going on with that, but I hope if they do adopt they don't talk like that around their son.

I think the only reason why you should adopt is because you really, really want a child. Period.

Not because you are such a great Christian, are good enough to "save" a child or to do a good deed. I can't imagine what it must be to grow up and know that you should be greatful because your adoptive parents "saved" you. A black baby seems to be the hottest accessory a fundie family can have right now. Why send the money to an orphanage in Africa when you can show the whole world how generous you are by posting tons of photos of your adopted child on your blog? It's the fundie equivalent of a Rolex or Chanel bag.

Modest, indeed.

Okay, here's a big list of Ethiopia adoption blogs: ethiopianadoptionblogs.blogspot.com/p/resource-websitesblogs.html

Some food names: "Injera Guacamole Hotdog", "Rice and Peas", "My Little Sweet Potato", "Brown Sugar White Sugar", "Our Ethiopian Olive", "Got Injera?", and "Hotdogs, Injera, and Tom yum goong." (They also adopted from Thailand and I guess hotdogs are supposed to be a typical American food.)

Some others I noticed: "Filling the Quiver", "Yellow, Black, & White", and "Bringing Home the Missing Linck." I get that the last one is just a pun on their last name, but it could really be interpreted the wrong way.

Because for fundie families (considering Emma, LL and the like), cultivating a holier-than-thou attitude is the primary reason that they adopt. They don't choose adoption after suffering infertility; they already have more kids than they can take care of. They don't even feel a need to add more children to the family through adoption, because they go on to give birth to more children. They don't do it for the sake of the child when they beat them, ignore them, insult them and otherwise treat them completely differently from their bio kids. They desire compliments from their community and the smug satisfaction of thinking they're winning brownie points for jesus.

Yeah, for all their talk of humility, they seem to have this insatiable need to prove that their life circumstances are more blessed than others. If they adopt, they're superior, because they're giving a godly home to some otherwise hellbound heathen. If their boatload of kids are biological, then God loves them most because they didn't need to adopt said hellbound heathen(s). They can't just live and let live.

Yeah, for all their talk of humility, they seem to have this insatiable need to prove that their life circumstances are more blessed than others. If they adopt, they're superior, because they're giving a godly home to some otherwise hellbound heathen. If their boatload of kids are biological, then God loves them most because they didn't need to adopt said hellbound heathen(s). They can't just live and let live.

Yeah this seemed to be the overall attitude when a family, with grown children, wanted to "adopt" a teen from the Ukraine. She had a mother there yet they felt compelled to bring her home to the states and send her to bible college so she could go back and evangelize back home.

Ugh...

In my struggles to adopt, I ran across so many frothy mouthed fundies, who wanted to adopt to "Convert The Heathens". Extra points are awarded for children not from America. The Haitian situation is just the tip of the iceburg, when it comes to the lengths the private "evangelical" adoption agencies will go to, to get children for Jesus. It makes me ill; it is hard enough to adopt, but to give children to families with large amounts of biological children is not smart for the adopted child. The adoptions are shady, and the poor kids are removed from their cultures to be made into "Warriors for Jesus", not to be loved and cherished by parents who want them more than anything else in the world.

I stopped hanging out on several adoption boards, as I would read advice about which agencies would "ignore X or Y", and which ones would make it "happen faster if you can prove you're doing it because God laid it on your heart".

Poor children.

ETA:

This quote from the article says it all: “The ultimate purpose of human adoption by Christians, therefore, is not to give orphans parents, as important as that is. It is to place them in a Christian home that they might be positioned to receive the gospel.â€--Dan Cruver

I stopped hanging out on several adoption boards, as I would read advice about which agencies would "ignore X or Y", and which ones would make it "happen faster if you can prove you're doing it because God laid it on your heart".

Poor children.

This literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Okay, so what the hell is wrong with people?

Our Two Egg Rolls?

Journey to our China Princess?

Our Little Lotus Flower?

(all listed under favorite blogs at porknbeansinchinaDOTblogspotDOTcom)

I just wanted to quickly comment on these blog names.

The first one is just odd.

The second one makes it sound like their little princess is made of china rather then from China.

The third one at least sounds sweet.

The fourth one why pork n beans? Why?.

Ugh...

ETA:

This quote from the article says it all: “The ultimate purpose of human adoption by Christians, therefore, is not to give orphans parents, as important as that is. It is to place them in a Christian home that they might be positioned to receive the gospel.â€--Dan Cruver

That's so twisted. Shouldn't the point be to provide children with loving, caring families?????

I've been reading a fair number of these types of blogs and in many cases, not all of course, the situation goes something like this:

1) the couple already has children (biological or adopted)

2) the dad is not up for more, but the mom feels they are being "selfish"

3) even though the mom is already tired and has more than enough on her hands, she convinces the dad that they need to adopt more kids--this is usually tarted up as "God did mighty work in my husband's heart".

And at the moment when all hope was lost...

the Creator walked right into a hotel room

in another state and grabbed my husband

by his fragile heart

and molded it, changed it,

and declared it GOOD.

(from paulandchrissyDOTblogspotDOTcom)

So what ends up happening in these cases is, the kids aren't even necessarily wanted as individuals, but adopted because the mother thinks she is just being selfish and needs to die to self instead of letting them linger in godless orphanages. See below:

it is about more than just parenting. We are trying to disciple our children, to raise them for Heaven, not Harvard.

We have a God-given call on our lives, and obeying that call is of utmost importance, even when it is inconvenient, even when it is expensive, even when it is HARD!!!

from trustandobey-waugthalsDOTblogspotDOTcom

...incidentally, a blog where it appears the mother makes her adopted daughters headcover and wear ankle-length dresses right off the bat. :roll:

From that article: "These children don’t recognize the flags of their home countries, Moore proudly noted at a 2010 conference, but they can all sing “Jesus Loves Me.â€"

Yes, that is all that matters in life :?

Okay, here's a big list of Ethiopia adoption blogs: ethiopianadoptionblogs.blogspot.com/p/resource-websitesblogs.html

Some food names: "Injera Guacamole Hotdog","Hotdogs, Injera, and Tom yum goong." (They also adopted from Thailand and I guess hotdogs are supposed to be a typical American food.)

WTF???

Archived