IGNORED

Nurses at my OBGYN were raving about Courageous.

DamnPrecious

Hell, when I taught in Texas I used to get church fliers and witnessing pamphlets (the generic "jesus loves you" type, not Chick Tracts, alas) in my school mailbox and through my school email. Talk about fostering an uncomfortable if not hostile work environment.

UGH. I started my new job today at a hospital that is largely funded by local government and the CEO came to talk to us. Among other awesome things, he said that we should all approach our jobs as our ministry and always remember that we are only accountable to our creator. I know I should fight this, but I need the job and I highly doubt HR will tell the CEO that he's wrong. Damn you Texas, you've really worn down my fight. I can't wait to move out of state.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is some brilliance in that imdb thread. Somebody summed it up well:

Christian filmmaking, at the moment, is like the Special Olympics of cinema. Just because you cross the finish line (aka make a film that appeals to your value system) doesn't mean you've achieved excellence of any kind.

I'm still waiting to get to see it so I can snark. I can't find anyplace online to watch it...

I'm getting it from my library, so I don't have to pay for it in any way. Oh, wait, my tax dollars go to the library. Must rethink . . .

I'm getting it from my library, so I don't have to pay for it in any way. Oh, wait, my tax dollars go to the library. Must rethink . . .

See if you can borrow it from some church library. If they say, "Well, you're not a member," gently point out that you pay more taxes so their church doesn't have to pay any. :)

Hell, when I taught in Texas I used to get church fliers and witnessing pamphlets (the generic "jesus loves you" type, not Chick Tracts, alas) in my school mailbox and through my school email. Talk about fostering an uncomfortable if not hostile work environment.

That's one thing that happens in "right to work" states. LIttle power against harassment.

I'm Christian, but I still do not like those things at work.

Look at the list of keywords on IMDB -- see if you can figure out which ones I submitted, when the movie first came out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630036/keywords

(I sound like a MakaziVille introduction -- don't expect Yakobo to say "You've earned points and coins," though)

I love you for that.

On another note, I'm gonna have in depth tweets on this movie when I see it for the second time (for free both times haha) at church... I'm using the word purposed at least three times, and pig latin too!

I love you for that.

But did you figure out which were my keywords? Or do you only work for points and coins, young lady? :angry-tappingfoot:

But did you figure out which were my keywords? Or do you only work for points and coins, young lady? :angry-tappingfoot:

Patriarchy

Submission

Construction Worker?

Purity Ring?

Oops I forgot one. Misogyny

Patriarchy

Submission

Construction Worker?

Purity Ring?

Oops I forgot one. Misogyny

Very good!

Construction Worker wasn't mine. And I can't remember if I added sermon, or if it was already there.

Now I wish I had some points and coins to give you! :D

UGH. I started my new job today at a hospital that is largely funded by local government and the CEO came to talk to us. Among other awesome things, he said that we should all approach our jobs as our ministry and always remember that we are only accountable to our creator. I know I should fight this, but I need the job and I highly doubt HR will tell the CEO that he's wrong. Damn you Texas, you've really worn down my fight. I can't wait to move out of state.

Even if you don't plan on taking action, you should document this stuff. If it's starting out like this, it's likely to get worse. Good luck.

I was in Kohls the other day and I overhead a young couple with a child raving about a "study based on the movie Courageous." My first thought was some kind of medical/psychological study. It wasn't until later, when I was trying to look up what he meant, that I realized he was talking about a bible study (of course). And there are SO MANY. I'm just not sure how you could create an entire bible study (much less multiple studies) based on something that simplistic :?

A local church here is doing this! They are all over FB pimping it.

One of my high school friends was raving about it on Facebook. He was saying how it is inspiring him to be a better father. From what I can gather he has gone fundie lite after high school. He went through some pretty bad shit though...testicular cancer, then prescription drug addiction (which led him being fired from his pharma job for stealing meds), had a kid diagnosed with autism, then his dad diagnosed with terminal cancer. He's genuinely a nice person, who went through a lot of bad stuff in the past several years, so I can kind of forgive him on this one.

Sheeple will latch on to anything if its on TV, movies, or it seems "everybody" likes it. Its just another way for the fundies to make their views seem mainstream.

I saw it at my local library yesterday as one of their "Blockbuster Release" collection (since we don't actually HAVE a Blockbuster anymore!). There were two copies left. I was tempted to rent it out for the kicks, but was not so sure I could take the saccharine cheesiness, unconvincing acting, and of course many of the messages (that purity ring scene squicks me out anytime I have heard about it) and so on. I finally watched Fireproof on YouTube last week and that was bad enough.

I will get blasted here for saying this here, but I put my big girl panties on this morning and can take it- I saw Courageous with my husband this past weekend and we both enjoyed it. For starters, we are Christians (not Fundies, though), and attend an evangelical church so, for us, the terminology and general faith aspects of the movie are not foreign and don't bother or offend. We both grew up Holiday Catholics, so when we first attended a Protestant church, phrases like "walking with God," or being "saved," weirded us out- I understand why that is for many people and why the concepts in this movie would seem kooky to many people. For us though, this wasn't an issue. The acting starts out pretty horrible, but in some regards, they seem to warm up a bit and improve over the course of the movie. Keep in mind that none of these actors are professionals and more than half of them are volunteers, many from SBC. Although they had the largest budget yet for this movie, it was still a low budget film, I think running on a $2 mil budget, which for a full length movie, is really nothing. No it's not Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise and yes, at times the acting is downright terrible by normal standards, but again, it's a low budget film, this is to be expected.

I'll admit, I don't like the purity ring idea and that particular scene did squick me out a little- at least, though, it wasn't long and drawn out and he asked her to give him her "heart," nothing was mentioned about her virginity. It was as mildly offensive as they could make it.

The overall take away from this movie though was a good message. It was a challenge for all fathers to step up and be present in their children's lives. My husband, who tends to be a professed work-a-holic, took this movie to heart and is going to strive to come home earlier and devote more quality time to our children. Intellectually, he's known for a while he needed to do this, but this movie really drove that point home for him. Perhaps all of you have perfect husbands who are perfect fathers, but in my life, in our circle of friends and aquaintences, I see many dads who fall very short of perfection. For all the cheesy elements of this movie, if they can take away that one message- that their role is critical in the lives of their children and they need to take that seriously- it's a good thing. We both cried through a good part of the movie and were emotionally drained at the end. Even though the movie was targeted to fathers, I feel even more determined than ever to show my kids daily how deeply I love them each and every day. The movie just reiterates what we all know- life can be over in a flash and we all need to cherish the people around us.

As far as SBC, I don't know much about them. Again, I sometimes feel when I am on this site, that you all are perfect in every thing you do and for all I know, maybe you do this- but when I go to see a mainstream movie in the theatre, I don't research the political and social views of the producers, directors, actors, etc, and neither did I with this movie. To my knowledge, SBC doesn't promote the no-birth control agenda (there is only a very small minority of Christians who advocate for no birth control), but I could be wrong. I'm certain they're pro-life, but I'd love to understand why this would come as a shock- is there such a thing as a Christian church that isn't pro-life?? Why is it that so many people can be so open minded about every life option out there, but for those of us who believe that life begins at conception, we are somehow horrible people for feeling this way and for believing that the bible supports this assertion.

And my last point would be, no one is forcing you to spend your money to see this movie. It is openly a Christian film, if that's not your cup of tea, then don't watch it. I hate Sci-Fi movies, but rather than bash them, I simply choose not to watch them. And, there are many OB/GYN's who don't perform abortions, why is it so crazy that nurses in an OB/GYN office would like this film? Birth control and abortion are two different issues, try not to confuse the two. You can be both pro-life and pro-birth control.

Where are all the Christians on this board, I didn't think I was the only one? I can't possibly be the only person at FJ who didn't mind this movie???

is there such a thing as a Christian church that isn't pro-life?? Why is it that so many people can be so open minded about every life option out there, but for those of us who believe that life begins at conception, we are somehow horrible people for feeling this way and for believing that the bible supports this assertion.

Please tell me you're joking. The bible isn't even "pro-life", let alone every Christian church subscribing to your anti-choice beliefs.

Also, bitch moar.

Please tell me you're joking. The bible isn't even "pro-life", let alone every Christian church subscribing to your anti-choice beliefs.

Also, bitch moar.

There is actually a lot of scripture to support the idea that life begins at conception. I'll list some later today. And by pro-life, the references is typically thought to mean giving a fetus a chance at life, not punishment for things done later in life. Two different topics. I'd be curious to know of Christian churches that were not pro-life in the common sense of the word.

What do you mean by "bitch moar?" I take that it's an insult, but I don't understand it.

Edited for grammar error.

I will get blasted here for saying this here, but I put my big girl panties on this morning and can take it- I saw Courageous with my husband this past weekend and we both enjoyed it. For starters, we are Christians (not Fundies, though), and attend an evangelical church so, for us, the terminology and general faith aspects of the movie are not foreign and don't bother or offend. We both grew up Holiday Catholics, so when we first attended a Protestant church, phrases like "walking with God," or being "saved," weirded us out- I understand why that is for many people and why the concepts in this movie would seem kooky to many people. For us though, this wasn't an issue. The acting starts out pretty horrible, but in some regards, they seem to warm up a bit and improve over the course of the movie. Keep in mind that none of these actors are professionals and more than half of them are volunteers, many from SBC. Although they had the largest budget yet for this movie, it was still a low budget film, I think running on a $2 mil budget, which for a full length movie, is really nothing. No it's not Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise and yes, at times the acting is downright terrible by normal standards, but again, it's a low budget film, this is to be expected.

I'll admit, I don't like the purity ring idea and that particular scene did squick me out a little- at least, though, it wasn't long and drawn out and he asked her to give him her "heart," nothing was mentioned about her virginity. It was as mildly offensive as they could make it.

The overall take away from this movie though was a good message. It was a challenge for all fathers to step up and be present in their children's lives. My husband, who tends to be a professed work-a-holic, took this movie to heart and is going to strive to come home earlier and devote more quality time to our children. Intellectually, he's known for a while he needed to do this, but this movie really drove that point home for him. Perhaps all of you have perfect husbands who are perfect fathers, but in my life, in our circle of friends and aquaintences, I see many dads who fall very short of perfection. For all the cheesy elements of this movie, if they can take away that one message- that their role is critical in the lives of their children and they need to take that seriously- it's a good thing. We both cried through a good part of the movie and were emotionally drained at the end. Even though the movie was targeted to fathers, I feel even more determined than ever to show my kids daily how deeply I love them each and every day. The movie just reiterates what we all know- life can be over in a flash and we all need to cherish the people around us.

As far as SBC, I don't know much about them. Again, I sometimes feel when I am on this site, that you all are perfect in every thing you do and for all I know, maybe you do this- but when I go to see a mainstream movie in the theatre, I don't research the political and social views of the producers, directors, actors, etc, and neither did I with this movie. To my knowledge, SBC doesn't promote the no-birth control agenda (there is only a very small minority of Christians who advocate for no birth control), but I could be wrong. I'm certain they're pro-life, but I'd love to understand why this would come as a shock- is there such a thing as a Christian church that isn't pro-life?? Why is it that so many people can be so open minded about every life option out there, but for those of us who believe that life begins at conception, we are somehow horrible people for feeling this way and for believing that the bible supports this assertion.

And my last point would be, no one is forcing you to spend your money to see this movie. It is openly a Christian film, if that's not your cup of tea, then don't watch it. I hate Sci-Fi movies, but rather than bash them, I simply choose not to watch them. And, there are many OB/GYN's who don't perform abortions, why is it so crazy that nurses in an OB/GYN office would like this film? Birth control and abortion are two different issues, try not to confuse the two. You can be both pro-life and pro-birth control.

Where are all the Christians on this board, I didn't think I was the only one? I can't possibly be the only person at FJ who didn't mind this movie???

My husband brought the movie home last week but we haven't had a chance to watch it yet. We have seen Fireproof and Facing the Giants and we enjoyed them so I don't have any doubts that we will enjoy this one as well. Granted, the acting is not on a Hollywood level, but I don't expect it to be. To me it's no different than when our church does a drama production every year at Christmas. Their acting could never be compared to Broadway, but no one expects it to be since it is done by amateurs (all volunteers) and yet the church is packed with standing room only every year for all four performances and people always enjoy it.

And I agree that if the film has a good message and is an inspiration to fathers to be more involved in their kids' lives then that is definitely enough reason for people to see it. Too many kids grow up with absent fathers either through divorce, death, or work-aholic situations. If even one father decides to step it up and be a better father because of this movie then I am thankful that the movie was made.

And no, you are not the only Christian on the board and not the only one who believes that the Bible teaches that life begins at conception.

Simplyme, you realize that in the Bible God commanded his people to kill babies, don't you?

There is actually a lot of scripture to support the idea that life begins at conception. I'll list some later today. And by pro-life, the references is typically thought to mean giving a fetus a chance at life, not punishment for things done later in life. Two different topics. I'd be curious to know of Christian churches that were not pro-life in the common sense of the word.

And there's just as much scripture, if not more, pointing to the fact that the people in the Bible didn't give a damn about dead fetuses. There are passages in the bible where the only punishment for causing a woman to miscarry is a fine (whereas, if you hurt the woman herself, your injury must match her's), passages where holy men are instructed to cause unfaithful women to miscarry, passages where god's chosen people are instructed to slice pregnant women open and dash babies' heads against rocks, and passages to support that even actual, born babies weren't counted as members of the tribe until they are (iirc) a month old.

What do you mean by "bitch moar?" I take that's it's an insult, but I don't understand it.

It has the same meaning as "whine more". You're bitching and moaning about how you're so alone as a righteous Christian here at FJ and being super passive-aggressive about it to boot. Take this for instance-

Perhaps all of you have perfect husbands who are perfect fathers, but in my life, in our circle of friends and aquaintences, I see many dads who fall very short of perfection.

Passive-aggressive as hell. And just for the record, I don't know any perfect husbands or perfect fathers, but I also don't know any crappy enough to need a Z-list movie to motivate them into being better dads.

I don't really care if you want to believe life begins at conception, but when you start wanting to make abortion illegal, then I have an issue with that. Keep your beliefs out of my body.

I completely agree with SimiplyMe. Yes there were some cheesy factors to this movie but I really though the underlying message was great. Watching this with my boyfriend, it really spurred some great discussion among us as to how he wants to be involved in his future kids lives - especially because his bio dad took off when he found out there was a baby on the way. As a Christian I think that the Bible speaks directly to the role fathers have in their children's lives and I thought this movie had some great messages on how to actively take that role.

Archived