IGNORED

Morgan Freeman to marry his step-granddaughter

camdendayton

That article's a few years old already. I found this from Jan 2010:

Actor Morgan Freeman is reportedly considering having a baby with his much younger girlfriend, E’Dena Hines, who is the granddaughter of his first wife and therefore his step-granddaughter. Morgan wants to have a baby with a girl he helped raise for an important part of her life… GASP!

“E’Dena wants Morgan’s baby,†a close source told The Enquirer. “She believes that will give her a final hold on Morgan and, after his divorce with Myrna is over, she will end up marrying him.â€

“Morgan has gone along with E’Dena’s wishes of having a baby,†said the close source. “he knows it would be disastrous if E’Dena blew up and went public with everything she knows.â€

Morgan, who is divorcing his second wife Myrna Colley-Lee, apparently had a secret affair with E’Dena that started when she was only seventeen years old and lasted more than ten years. E’Dena and Morgan are not keeping their relationship secret anymore but Myrna is determined to not let Morgan have a baby with his step-granddaughter!

That article's a few years old already. I found this from Jan 2010:

I didn't notice the date. I don't remember what I was looking at when I saw that link.

I remember hearing about Morgan and his step-granddaughter last year on some entertainment site. It is a bit weird and I bet a lot of arguments happen in that family.

Well, I don't see the big problem. They are both consenting adults and there is no blood relation, if they truly love each other and want to be together then so be it. I always find it interesting that if it involves gays or lesbians wanting to be married everyone jumps on board because they are two consenting adults. Then if someone found it to be unnatural or icky they are called homophobes. But when it's a case like this no one looks at the fact that they are consenting adults and having a "yuck" reaction seems to be a-ok and acceptable. Seems like a double standard, but maybe that's just me.

And FTR, I believe he has previously denied this relationship. I only searched for a few minutes but couldn't find anything that proved this relationship for a fact, most articles online are from gossip rags.

Well, I don't see the big problem. They are both consenting adults and there is no blood relation, if they truly love each other and want to be together then so be it. I always find it interesting that if it involves gays or lesbians wanting to be married everyone jumps on board because they are two consenting adults. Then if someone found it to be unnatural or icky they are called homophobes. But when it's a case like this no one looks at the fact that they are consenting adults and having a "yuck" reaction seems to be a-ok and acceptable. Seems like a double standard, but maybe that's just me.

And FTR, I believe he has previously denied this relationship. I only searched for a few minutes but couldn't find anything that proved this relationship for a fact, most articles online are from gossip rags.

Maybe it's not true, and personally I hope it isn't. I just don't think 2 people can have a relationship of equals when one was at one time the other's step-grandparent. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion. Also who knows what happened when she was a minor. Granted this is all speculation on my part, hopefully I'm wrong.

Maybe it's not true, and personally I hope it isn't. I just don't think 2 people can have a relationship of equals when one was at one time the other's step-grandparent. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my opinion. Also who knows what happened when she was a minor. Granted this is all speculation on my part, hopefully I'm wrong.

This. (assuming it's true--I seem to remember, like someone else said, that he denied this vehemently at some point and I nkow the article is old)

I think that an imbalance of power can make it impossible for an adult to properly consent.

Most states where the age of consent is under 18 make an exception for teachers/coaches/others in a position of power for that reason--because while it may raise my eyebrows for a 17 Yo to be in a relationship with a 35 YO, it's 'ok' and none of my business.

But when that 35 YO is the 17YO's teacher, it's a horse of a different color--the teacher is the 'authority figure' and it is to difficult to suss out what is real affection and what is manipulation/abuse of power. It would also set off my creep-o-meter if said teacher waited until they were 18 and 36--because the 18 YO often only has one toe in the adult world and is still figuring out authority and boundries.

One who has had authority over someone for most of a kid's life is generally an authority figure--step grandparent (unless he became step-grandpa once she was mostly an adult) falls into that category.

That doesn't even touch on the mess that can be dating within a family. Woody Allen's son said it well:

http://www.celebitchy.com/196852/woody_ ... lk_to_him/

He’s my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression,’ Ronan has said.

‘I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent… I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children,’

This. (assuming it's true--I seem to remember, like someone else said, that he denied this vehemently at some point and I nkow the article is old)

I think that an imbalance of power can make it impossible for an adult to properly consent.

Most states where the age of consent is under 18 make an exception for teachers/coaches/others in a position of power for that reason--because while it may raise my eyebrows for a 17 Yo to be in a relationship with a 35 YO, it's 'ok' and none of my business.

But when that 35 YO is the 17YO's teacher, it's a horse of a different color--the teacher is the 'authority figure' and it is to difficult to suss out what is real affection and what is manipulation/abuse of power. It would also set off my creep-o-meter if said teacher waited until they were 18 and 36--because the 18 YO often only has one toe in the adult world and is still figuring out authority and boundries.

One who has had authority over someone for most of a kid's life is generally an authority figure--step grandparent (unless he became step-grandpa once she was mostly an adult) falls into that category.

That doesn't even touch on the mess that can be dating within a family. Woody Allen's son said it well:

http://www.celebitchy.com/196852/woody_ ... lk_to_him/

He’s my father married to my sister. That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression,’ Ronan has said.

‘I cannot see him. I cannot have a relationship with my father and be morally consistent… I lived with all these adopted children, so they are my family. To say Soon-Yi was not my sister is an insult to all adopted children,’

Do any of the articles say how much he even saw her or how involved he was in her life? It could very well be that he saw her half a dozen times over many years. It is hard to say if she ever felt that he was an authority figure in her life. I've got three step-granchildren that I have been a step-grandparent to from the moment they were born (ages 15, 9 and 7) but I've never even met them or spoken to them. They know I exist and I know they exist but I'm certainly not an authority figure in their life.

I'm old enough to remember rather well when Mia got Andre Previn to divorce his then-wife, Dory Previn, and how devastated Dory was, by reports. I don't know any of the parties personally.

Mia was fresh off her dalliance with Frank Sinatra (whose person and talent never impressed me in the least) and was quoted as saying, "A fortuneteller told me my hands had the palms of an old woman, and that means I can get anything I want." A photo of her outstretched palm, looking wrinkly, accompanied that quote.

I was pretty young .. I want to say in my teens .. and I remember thinking that if by any long shot the fortuneteller was on to something, it was a darned shame that the best Mia could want was another woman's husband. An older woman's husband, at that.

I know this makes little sense and isn't charitable, but when I eventually heard about Soon-yi and Woody hooking up, I thought, "Hm. Wonder if that's one of the things Mia wanted, and thus got, due to her old-woman's palms."

So, long story short, I've never been able to feel empathy for any of those people, though Woody has made me laugh and think.

As for Mr. Freeman and the young woman ... I'm all for love, I'm all for romance. But something about that pairing is just. not. right.

And that's my opinion out of billions, and it won't make a whit of difference to any of the players in either of the plays.

Archived