IGNORED

Yet another dumb - but intriguing - Q: autotune

MamaJunebug

Autotune. What is it exactly?

I read lots of "Glee" reviews that mock the use of autotune. I'm guessing it's not used for the likes of Lea and Chris, but maybe for Jenna or Diana.

And is it the same thing that makes Britney Spears' voice sound like it's been electronically altered? The real Britney, not the Glee character.

TIA!

Autotune is used for pretty much everything you hear on the radio or things like Glee nowadays. It's a way to alter and manipulate the sounds so they're pitch perfect - and be rest assured it's used on Chris and Lea as well. If you have an ear for music, you can tell that the voices sound "tinny" when it's used.

Listen to, say, Judy Garland and hear the richness of her voice, or Patsy Cline and the "realness" of her voice. Then listen to something like "No Air" from Glee and there's something slighty hollow and robotically perfect about it. It makes for music with no imperfections, but to me it's like music from a can.

ETA: I'm always really disappointed when singers sound so much worse in concert than in their official CD/mp3/record thing. I can only assume autotune has something to do with this.

It does, it's the reason people like Rihanna, Taylor Swift, and various tween stars are so popular. Lady Gaga, Adele and Christina Perri are three great singers that sound amazing live.

• 3 weeks later...

a great example of obvious autotune is cher's "believe".

i think she used obvious autotune on purpose, with this song, but it's clear what it sounds like and makes it easier to recognize it in other songs.

Archived