IGNORED

One Bright Corner

Daenerys

When you're 3 yrs-old and yr favourite man is yr Daddy, it is cute.

When you're 20...Gross and bizarre.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mom used to leave those heart-shaped candy boxes by our bed for me and my brothers. But never, ever did she write...love poetry for us. :shudder:

We got those too and card with cartoon characters on them. I'm sure my dad knew my mom had a better chance of eating her candy if we got some too. Candy on valentines day is normal and I still send a card to my parents but it's extremely different from the ones I give my husband.

Dude, if my spouse wrote that to my child we would be moving out the minute I heard about it. That screams inappropriate relationship. I'd be scared for my kids.

Daenerys - I think it's very different. I read one book-for-tweens in which the protagonist's class routinely sent V cards to everyone in the group, girls and boys.

I've heard the odd tale of "my parents secretly sent me a card so I wouldn't seem like a loser" but that's as far as it goes over here.

Daenerys - I think it's very different. I read one book-for-tweens in which the protagonist's class routinely sent V cards to everyone in the group, girls and boys.

This is exactly what I and all my classmates did (back when we rode dinosaurs to school...). You bought boxes of 30+ valentines - they weren't proper cards, more like index-card sized ones, and usually you had to tear them at the perforations - and they had really crappy envelopes, and you gave them to everyone in the class. Obviously giving the ones you liked best to the people you liked best. :D Something along these lines - I'd forgotten about the teacher cards!

http://www.amazon.com/Life-on-Earth-Val ... 004AGGCDO/

Which FJer put this comment? :lol:

Not much of an argument really, but at least she's got manners unlike some fundies we know...

I am TheCanuck. Umm...I thought her argument was crazy. Nobody has been criminalized for not supporting gay marriage. Morons. She was polite, though. And it IS the will of the majority, as all the votes against SSM have demonstrated.

Someone might want to tell her gently that it is not and probably will never be illegal to *not* support gay marriage. I have heard other people say this as well and it confuses me.

"Well, in Canada/UK/France it is illegal to be against homosexuality, they will throw you in jail..."

I just don't think that is true.

I dunno, Daenerys, I'm in the UK (until independence) and I remember making little cards at primary school which said "I love you mummy and daddy" with a scribbly heart on them ;) My mum and dad used to get me a sweetie and a wee card now and again if they remembered. That all stopped when I was around eight.

Oooh, I once wrote a breakdown of what it takes to get a "Home Health" degree from Telos here:

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/7879

Reading it over now, I realize it may be a little long, and I probably should have...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I used to bring chocolate candy kisses to class in high school and pass them out to all my friends on Valentine's day. I was always kind of hanging slightly outside the group of "cool kids," but I could always rely on them to claim me as friend on Feb 14th. Good times.

Things that are creepy include, but are not limited to, father-daughter love poems.

This is exactly what I and all my classmates did (back when we rode dinosaurs to school...). You bought boxes of 30+ valentines - they weren't proper cards, more like index-card sized ones, and usually you had to tear them at the perforations - and they had really crappy envelopes, and you gave them to everyone in the class. Obviously giving the ones you liked best to the people you liked best. :D Something along these lines - I'd forgotten about the teacher cards!

http://www.amazon.com/Life-on-Earth-Val ... 004AGGCDO/

My husband keeps pointing out these fun dip valentines to me at CVS. He really really wants them I told him he could just go over to the candy ailse and get himself some fun dip but he said it wasn't the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonka-Lik-M-Aid-V ... B001NXN42O

When I was little we always did cute things for our parents but on mothers'/fathers' day. When I was 6 I made my mum a salt dough green and yellow checked heart. She still keeps it by her bed and I'm nearly 21.

I've heard the odd tale of "my parents secretly sent me a card so I wouldn't seem like a loser" but that's as far as it goes over here.

On V day in the US, many children buy valentine cards and sometimes candy for everyone in their classroom as well as other friends and family. My Walmart is full of V-day themed stuffed animals to be given to small children. I have gotten Valentines Day cards from lab partners, co-workers, some people really like it. Our elementary school classrooms have parties even.

Oooh, I once wrote a breakdown of what it takes to get a "Home Health" degree from Telos here:

http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/7879

Reading it over now, I realize it may be a little long, and I probably should have...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I start a CNA course this coming week. (I have a Bachelor's but am thinking nursing school so I want to give it a try first, see if I like it, plus I think it'll look good on my application.) In six weeks I'll have the certification. I am amazed people fall for this shit.

I still get Valentine's Day gifts from my mom (and she signs my dad's name). Mostly little, useful stuff. But it's nice when you're not in a relationship to have parents that think of you and send a little present and a Valentine's Day card that says I love you. That, to me, is sweet. But love poems? No. No, we've never done that, Thank God.

On V day in the US, many children buy valentine cards and sometimes candy for everyone in their classroom as well as other friends and family. My Walmart is full of V-day themed stuffed animals to be given to small children. I have gotten Valentines Day cards from lab partners, co-workers, some people really like it. Our elementary school classrooms have parties even.

That was a big thing when I was in school, we bought boxes of those cards to give every kid in the class one.

I remember giving everyone cards in school! We used to decorate empty kleenex boxes to be our mailboxes and you always put the best card in your crush's mailbox. ;) I think we stopped in the 6th or 7th grade.

On topic, if my dad gave me a poem like that, I'd be creeped out. I talk to him on the phone every day and we have a very healthy and great relationship, mainly because my dad isn't a creep. These twins' writing about their family just icks me out.

I teach at an elementary school. The kids still do the valentine exchange thing in grades 4 and 5. This year we have a ski trip planned for the 14th, so the kids will just have to hand out their valentines at the chalet...

i feel sick.

i have a truly appropriate relationship with my father. I chat to him on the phone while I wait for Mum to come to the phone.

Appropriate. Not incestuousness.

:laughing-rollingyellow:

I found an upside-down penis!

In this post, second pic:

onebrightcorner.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-it-came-to-be.html

This is of absolutely no importance, but I love finding defrauding images in fundie blogs and sites. :dance: Carry on...

My husband keeps pointing out these fun dip valentines to me at CVS. He really really wants them I told him he could just go over to the candy ailse and get himself some fun dip but he said it wasn't the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonka-Lik-M-Aid-V ... B001NXN42O

AHH!! I loved that candy...haven't seen it in a while. *adds to amazon wishlist*

They had a handy widget to write to state reps to protest homosexual marriage. I used it to email the reps, but I may have revised it a bit. It was on the fly but I think it gets my point across.

Hers didn't even make sense. "Same-sex couples continue to have all the same rights and benefits of married couples"?? Umm duh that's why they're redefining marriage, because same-sex non-married couples DON'T have the same rights as heterosexual married couples!

I think the not-being-allowed-to-be-against-it thing may stem from worries over employment law - sure, we're not being forced to perform ceremonies, but what if they're supposedly the best candidate for the job? (after all, gay people are queuing up to work for homophobic people) Especially in your country with the health insurance thing.

Do you think the big deal over Valentines Day is because it's (effectively) non-faith-based? In the UK all the primary school kids do bulk Christmas cards instead.

Someone might want to tell her gently that it is not and probably will never be illegal to *not* support gay marriage. I have heard other people say this as well and it confuses me.

"Well, in Canada/UK/France it is illegal to be against homosexuality, they will throw you in jail..."

I just don't think that is true.

I am in Canada. There are still plenty of people around who vocally do not "support" gay marriage and...*gasp*...they are still free to walk the streets!

I think these people tend to get a bit confused about what the laws actually ARE or just accept what some random person told them. It is like playing telephone. Someone says gay marriage is legal, and 100 people later suddenly someone who opposes gay marriage will be stoned and forced to enter a gay marriage.

Re Valentine's Day....as a kid my mother would often give us a treat of some sort for Valentine's Day. Chocolates, new pajamas, that sort of thing, along with a card more geared towards a parent/child or a blank card with a simple message in it.

There were never creepy poems though or asking the child/parent to "be my valentine". It might be kind of cute if a very young kid who has no clue what Valentine's Day is really asked their parent to be their Valentine (all they know is they made Valentine's Day cards in preschool or something), but at a certain point it gets very creepy. And at 20-something it is just gross.

Reminds me of that Anderson Cooper show on Purity Balls, etc that was on last week or the week before. I think it is all good to have a healthy relationship with your father, and appreciate his positive traits, but when it turns into some sort of idolization or a desire to essentially marry your father, it is just fucking weird and gross.

I think the not-being-allowed-to-be-against-it thing may stem from worries over employment law - sure, we're not being forced to perform ceremonies, but what if they're supposedly the best candidate for the job? (after all, gay people are queuing up to work for homophobic people) Especially in your country with the health insurance thing.

Do you think the big deal over Valentines Day is because it's (effectively) non-faith-based? In the UK all the primary school kids do bulk Christmas cards instead.

Even if you are a homophobic employer who refuses to hire someone because you are discriminatory ass, you will not be thrown in JAIL. You may get sued by the non-hired person for discriminatory practices, or run into trouble with your province's Employment Board, etc, but you are not going to end up with criminal charges and thrown in jail for just refusing to hire someone based on their sexual orientation. Assuming you did not also physically assault them at the same time you denied them employment.

As for health insurance, everyone has universal health care here. You do not need to be employed to have that, so not too sure what that refers too?

Archived