IGNORED

PA House of Representatives declare 2012 to be "Year of the

doggie

Not sure how 2012 is anything different then any other year for the bible but still this passed without any opposition. how crazy is that?

Members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives have unanimously approved House Resolution No. 535, a "noncontroversial resolution," “[d]eclaring 2012 as the “Year of the Bible†in Pennsylvania. WHEREAS, The Bible, the word of God, has made a unique contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and blessed nation and people.â€

The resolution refers to the Bible as “holy scriptures†that “led to the early settlement of our country,†credits “Biblical teachings†for inspiring “concepts of civil government that are contained in our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States,†and notes that “[t]he history of our country clearly illustrates the value of voluntarily applying the teachings of the scriptures in the lives of individuals, families and societies.â€

“Renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through holy scripture can strengthen us as a nation and a people," the resolution says, "therefore be it RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives declare 2012 as the “Year of the Bible†in Pennsylvania in recognition of both the formative influence of the Bible on our Commonwealth and nation and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the holy scriptures.â€

Unlike some other resolutions or legislation which may appear to some as potentially problematic, this resolution does not mince words; the text of this resolution calls the Bible “the word of God†and “holy scriptures†in addition to other problems. One should wager that if Pennsylvania lawmakers were to pass a resolution calling 2012 “The Year of the Koran†noting that the Koran was 'holy scripture' that was the word of Allah, such a resolution would be problematic. Why not, then, concerning the Bible? Governmental entities ought to remain neutral on matters of religion.

Patrick Elliott, staff attorney with the Freedom From Religion Foundation, commenting for this article, notes,

It is shocking that House leadership would classify this as a "noncontroversial resolution" and put it to a vote. It is even more astounding that representatives would pass this. It seems that either they did not know what they were voting on or they were intentionally interfering with the rights of conscience of their constituents in violation of the U.S. Constitution. This is a blatant violation. The resolution proclaims that the Bible is the "word of God," states that "renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through holy scripture can strengthen us as a nation and a people," and declares 2012 as the "Year of the Bible" in recognition of "our national need to study and apply the teachings of the holy scriptures.

Once the government enters into the religion business, conferring endorsement and preference for some religions over others, it strikes a blow at religious liberty, forcing taxpayers of all faiths and of no religion to support a particular religious view.

I don't know why, but I always pictured PA being somewhat liberal. But, between this and Santorum...

For those who are Christian, the bible is something that gives them comfort every day of their lives. Why trivialize it by using it to push a certain version of US history or a particular political agenda.

I don't know why, but I always pictured PA being somewhat liberal. But, between this and Santorum...

It's very conservative in the middle. I believe PA has the most KKK members of any state.

I swear we're not all this crazy.

Ugh, the BF and I's long range plan is to move back to OH, IN, MI, or IL (given that this is where all his family is and some of mine is) but b/w the year of the bible in PA and teaching creationism in IN...

At least there are still liberal pockets everywhere!

Oh jeeze, I'm glad I live in a very liberal part of South Central PA. Keep your government enforced religion away from me thanks!

Wow, lots more PA people here than I realized. (BTW: sippin, I love your avatar. Ksenia was amazing at Worlds.) PA is often thought of as "liberal" because we tend to go Democrat in presidential elections. But we are also the state that elected Santorum and Toomey, and freaking Ron Paul was even born here. There are definitely enclaves of liberalness -- as you see in many states, our cities are pretty liberal pockets in the wilderness of crazy conservatism and conservative christianity. I think the best description of PA I ever heard was, "Pittsburgh and Philly are the bookends and then there's backwater Alabama in the middle." This is an oversimplification, of course... there are other little pockets around the state of liberalness, but you get the idea.

When will they be having the year of the Koran? Or the year of the Rigveda? Or the numerous other "holy" books from religions around the world?

Thank you Demgirl :D She was. I'm a huge fan of Russian gymnastics. Aliya, Ksenia Semenova, Tanya, Ksenia Afanasyeva, Demy, and Vika <3

No opposition? Wow, that is weird. How about the year of Shakespeare, Hawthorne, or Dickens?

Wow, lots more PA people here than I realized. (BTW: sippin, I love your avatar. Ksenia was amazing at Worlds.) PA is often thought of as "liberal" because we tend to go Democrat in presidential elections. But we are also the state that elected Santorum and Toomey, and freaking Ron Paul was even born here. There are definitely enclaves of liberalness -- as you see in many states, our cities are pretty liberal pockets in the wilderness of crazy conservatism and conservative christianity. I think the best description of PA I ever heard was, "Pittsburgh and Philly are the bookends and then there's backwater Alabama in the middle." This is an oversimplification, of course... there are other little pockets around the state of liberalness, but you get the idea.

Toomey's speaking at my college graduation in May :?

Archived