IGNORED

Santorum daughter hospitalized..

sassyNoz47

Additionally, while your anecdotal experience is wonderful and i hope accurate for others, there are huge fields of research on health care disparities for people of different demographics, including socioeconomic status. I can't find anything in particular (but I'm searching quickly) on disparities in orphan disease treatment, but a few papers (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11567/ is one I'm looking at now), show that a lot of legislation around orphan diseases has made access better than previous, which is good, but does not negate that outside of orphan diseases huge health care/SES disparities exist.

I live in an area well known for treating and managing kids with rare orphan diseases, as well as an area with many resources for refugees. We have both the University of MN and Gillette Hospital where children with rare genetic and orphan diseases are treated. I don't know if my experience would necessarily be replicated elsewhere.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's already using her life to push his anti-choice agenda. He and his wife knew she was going to be born with this condition, and that she would live a short life full of suffering. They made the choice to have her anyway. And now he's using her to further his view that no other parents of fetuses with Trisomy-18 should be allowed a choice in whether to carry those pregnancies to term or not. He has all the means at his disposal to care for a severely sick and disabled child--but would offer no assistance to less-fortunate parents of such kids.

When his daughter dies, I expect a despicable, self-promoting public display at her funeral. But he's already making a despicable, self-promoting public display of that poor child's life. Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly see no difference. He's a deeply horrible human being, who has allowed his political ambitions to take precedence over his children's lives, and he uses his youngest child's suffering as a political ploy. Of course he'll use her death to further his political goals--I'd be shocked if he didn't.

But you dont get it! God made her like this and had her live to this point in time and get sick so that frothy COULD make a point at her life! Its exactly the same as Jubilee. She was concieved and miscarried died at that precise point in the campaign time so that her LIFE could be an example to the world! Its god's plan that he continue his campaign and exploit call attention!

But you dont get it! God made her like this and had her live to this point in time and get sick so that frothy COULD make a point at her life! Its exactly the same as Jubilee. She was concieved and miscarried died at that precise point in the campaign time so that her LIFE could be an example to the world! Its god's plan that he continue his campaign and exploit call attention!

OH YOU AND YOUR FUNDIE LOGIC!

In all seriousness, however, you're right. In their minds, it's perfectly okay to have a child who will suffer and die, so long as it scores them Godliness points. It's appalling. And heartbreaking, for the kids who get to serve as examples of "God's will."

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Its all HIS plan... sigh...

The comments after the People article are, as always, an eye-opener. A few posters said they thought JIM BOB would make an excellent president! That scares me. A lot.

I hope that Bella suffers as little as possible, (hopefully not at all) and that this does not deteriorate into another Terry Schiavo situation.

The comments after the People article are, as always, an eye-opener. A few posters said they thought JIM BOB would make an excellent president! That scares me. A lot.

I hope that Bella suffers as little as possible, (hopefully not at all) and that this does not deteriorate into another Terry Schiavo situation.

I dont see how it can be avoided. She has pneumonia in both lungs, she'll be on a respirator soon enough if not already. That will prevent brain death so it wont get to the same point as schiavo, but we will get to a point where she cant live without machines and thats no way for a 3 year old to live.

Archived