IGNORED

Santorum daughter hospitalized..

sassyNoz47

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.newsday.com/news/santorum-ca ... -1.3487181

"Rick and his wife Karen are admitting their daughter Bella to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia this evening," spokesman Hogan Gidley said in a statement Saturday night, adding "Rick intends to return to Florida and resume the campaign schedule as soon as is possible."

edited to add: no mention from Josh.

Josh mentioned it in his tweets. Well the fact that Santorum's daughter is ill, nothing about cancellations.

Despite my feelings on Santorum's political/religious stances, I hope his daughter will be alright. I was hoping that he would take this recent sad turn of events as a sign from God that he needs to focus on his family and stop campaigning (possibly re-evaluate some of his stances). But alas, he will be back campaigning as soon as she is back home.

She's not going to be ok. Trisomy 18 never has a good prognosis. Like I said, it's amazing she has survived so long.

I didn't know his daughter had trisomy 18. It's amazing she has lived so long.

It's amazing what being born into a family with stellar medical insurance can do for a girl.

I hope the best for the Santorum family.

I am truly dreading how Smuggar (and the entire Duggar family) will try to take even the slightest advantage out of this, especially after Smuggar's tweets about disabled people.

A very small percentage of those born with Trisomy 18 who survive early childhood - nearly always female - can live into their late teens, but the odds are not good for poor little Bella.

She's not going to be ok. Trisomy 18 never has a good prognosis. Like I said, it's amazing she has survived so long.

She had surgery just last Oct. while Rick was at a debate. I've never been happy the way the Santorums or the Duggars have used Bella as a poster child for the antiabortion movement.

CHOP is a great facility with many passionate caregivers.

It's amazing what being born into a family with stellar medical insurance can do for a girl.

something he wants people to pay more for because god made their child sick at birth.

As much as I dislike Santorum and his stupid ideas, I do hope his daughter will be okay- or at least, that she suffers a minimum of pain and illness in the future. The outlook is bad, so let's hope that whatever time she has left is reasonably good. Prayers are with you, little girl.

What exactly is Trisomy 18?

Trisomy 18 (T18) (also known as Trisomy E or Edwards syndrome) is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 18th chromosome. It is named after John H. Edwards, who first described the syndrome in 1960. It is the second most common autosomal trisomy, after Down Syndrome, that carries to term.

Trisomy 18 is caused by the presence of three – as opposed to two – copies of chromosome 18 in a fetus' or infant's cells. Edwards' syndrome occurs in around one in 6,000 live births and around 80 per cent of those affected are female. The majority of fetuses with the syndrome die before birth. The incidence increases as the mother's age increases. The syndrome has a very low rate of survival, resulting from heart abnormalities, kidney malformations, and other internal organ disorders.

Trisomy 18 (T18) (also known as Trisomy E or Edwards syndrome) is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of an extra 18th chromosome. It is named after John H. Edwards, who first described the syndrome in 1960. It is the second most common autosomal trisomy, after Down Syndrome, that carries to term.

Trisomy 18 is caused by the presence of three – as opposed to two – copies of chromosome 18 in a fetus' or infant's cells. Edwards' syndrome occurs in around one in 6,000 live births and around 80 per cent of those affected are female. The majority of fetuses with the syndrome die before birth. The incidence increases as the mother's age increases. The syndrome has a very low rate of survival, resulting from heart abnormalities, kidney malformations, and other internal organ disorders.

Really good explanation -- thank you very much!

Well of course that's true, but I see nothing wrong with wishing her the best right now anyway.

She had surgery just last Oct. while Rick was at a debate. I've never been happy the way the Santorums or the Duggars have used Bella as a poster child for the antiabortion movement.

*Sigh* That's so irritating that he would do that. But, of course, if anyone turned that against him and told him that maybe he shouldn't run for President because of having a special needs child (Ex: what would happen if she needed medical attention when he was needed elsewhere, say...Cuban Missile Crisis), he would scream bloody murder.

Anyways, as bitchy as this sounds, I hope he sees this as a sign from God to leave the campaign and not as a test of faith that he's doing the right thing. But that's only because I think he will do more damage to the country then anything else as long as a mic is on him. The other day he said that higher education was evil and encouraged people to stop donating to universities because they made people lose their faith and turned them into puppets of the left (paraphrasing).

The unfortunate reality is Ricks daughter was born with a condition that is incompatible with life. I wish her pain free comfort for any time she has on this earth.

Rick and his wife are still asswipes. They have a child with a severe genetic defect who has survived because of the medical care paid for by his ins. During the debates he was quite clear what he thought about others getting this same level of care. It goes back to his wife, having labor induced at 20 wks and not calling it an abortion. These people are hypocrites.

Rick has trotted this child out during a campaign when he recognized it was detrimental to her health. In Iowa she was having breathing problems, Rick freely admitted that it was due to having her out in the weather. That didn't fucking stop him. And the crap about Karen staying home with the kids is BS. She had Bella out on appearances in FL and SC.

I get so sick of innocent children suffering because they are born to assholes.

I hope his daughter is not suffering and can be home with her family soon. It is probably judgmental of me, but if I had a child who I knew would probably not live long, I seriously doubt I'd waste any of that precious time roaming the country in a fruitless and expensive campaign.

Archived