IGNORED

"I have a personal relationship with Jesus"

Swamptribe

You do realize, that claiming "I have a personal relatioship with Jesus" is simply the Christian PC way of stating "They aren't real Christians, but I am". It's really a snotty thing to say.

By the way, respecting someone does not mean that one has to agree with their beliefs, or keep quiet about disagreeing with them. Respect is also not a one way street. Respect is something that one earns. Not something one is entitled to.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I think it can be, but I don't think it HAS to be.

Personally, I think that making a choice to be a member of one's religion is important. I don't care what religion, but I've never been comfortable with the assumption that because one's parents are believers in X, the child is a believer in X.

That isn't to say that people aren't sometimes 'culturally *whatever religion*' but I don't think that clarifying 'actively pursuing this religion' vs 'accepting of but not pursuing' is saying someone isn't a 'real' christian.

Having 'a personal relationship with Jesus' is more than that though for most evangelicals. If the issue is just about making a personal choice, then Anglicans, for example, are said to do just that when they take communion and become confirmed. But the personal relationship is about having a 'buddy' for some and for most it is at the very least about saying the sinner's prayer, becoming saved and starting a 'walk with God'. Those kinds of declarations were exactly what we used to use to test if someone was a True Christian when I was growing up. And yeah, for sure we did not judge people (out loud) after they had died. But in very many cases, it certainly influenced people's choices of spouse, the use of their vote, and how they hired, fired and spent their money.

You do realize, that claiming "I have a personal relatioship with Jesus" is simply the Christian PC way of stating "They aren't real Christians, but I am". It's really a snotty thing to say.

I also find it a rather narcissistic way to think.

I don't believe in magic sky people but assuming I did, considering the vastness of the universe, I think it would be a bit presumptuous to assume he/she/it/they would want to be in a personal relationship with me.

Yeah, exactly. This incongruity is one of many reasons why I abandoned Christianity. I mean, there was a while where I did everything in my power to just buy into the whole Jesus thing. It would have been so much easier socially, religiously, you name it to just bloom where I was planted and make Christianity work for me. To my mind, if someone wants to believe as badly as I did, you'd think Jesus could maybe throw 'em a bone, right? But no. Nada.

My other beef, though, and a large part of the reason why a lot of this kind of talk just wouldn't compute in a Jewish context, is that it's one hundred percent belief-focused. There's no real action involved. Yeah, you're supposed to "ask Jesus into your heart" (whatever that means), and there's the whole argument that real faith should bear fruits, but that's often not the case, and unless it's some IFB pastor going on a tear about women in pants or watching R-rated movies, you don't generally hear peoples' salvation being questioned because they're not out there, say, feeding the hungry. When someone's "on fire for the Lord," nine times out of ten, they're not working for Habitat for Humanity or joining the Peace Corps, they're standing on a street corner yelling about sodomy.

My personal relationship with Jesus was awfully one-sided! :D Every time I would pray and ask Jesus into my heart (and I'd say it was about 3 or 4 times between the ages of 10 and 15), I kept expecting some transformation to happen. I kept hoping I would feel the peace and happiness that I saw my Christian mentors feel. I had hoped I would be able to pick up a Bible and automatically find wisdom in it instead of being bored with it. I thought Jesus would automatically remove my childhood fears that the devil could come get me and possess me or torment me. (Tip of the day: Don't let an 8-year-old watch The Amityville Horror.) I had thought I would be led down the right path, that I would have some kind of spiritual guidance. I had believed it would give me strength to stand up for my beliefs.

None of that ever happened. When I was at Christian camp (which I attened a week out of every summer from ages 11-18) I could feel such a sense of joy and fellowship during certain moments, and I believed it was Jesus who caused it. I didn't think to realized it was just the motivation and energy of the crowd - the mob psychology if you will. (My camp was MUCH more liberal than the Jesus Camp camp.) Jesus never made me feel that when I was alone.

I always wonder if people have to work hard to convince themselves that they feel this happiness being saved, or are they just more vulnerable to these types of ideas. I was thinking of a friend of mine who was a Wiccan before she was Christian. She believed very strongly in her witchcraft (I am a little into Paganism too, but I don't believe there are really spirts - I just find the rituals soothing and help me focus my thoughts and intentions) and believed that she was absorbed into it and that the spells she cast really worked. Maybe I have always been too much of a skeptic?

My personal relationship with Jesus was awfully one-sided! :D Every time I would pray and ask Jesus into my heart (and I'd say it was about 3 or 4 times between the ages of 10 and 15), I kept expecting some transformation to happen. I kept hoping I would feel the peace and happiness that I saw my Christian mentors feel. I had hoped I would be able to pick up a Bible and automatically find wisdom in it instead of being bored with it. I thought Jesus would automatically remove my childhood fears that the devil could come get me and possess me or torment me. (Tip of the day: Don't let an 8-year-old watch The Amityville Horror.) I had thought I would be led down the right path, that I would have some kind of spiritual guidance. I had believed it would give me strength to stand up for my beliefs.

Don't feel bad. Jesus reported me as a stalker.

Respect doesn't have to be earned. I respect your opinion even though I disagree with you.

No, you respect my right to hold that opinion, which is different.

It's code for I'm not Catholic.

Actually, it's code for "I'm a giant douchenozzle who has no idea what they are talking about on any subject ever."

Maybe it's a regional thing.

By the way, respecting someone does not mean that one has to agree with their beliefs, or keep quiet about disagreeing with them. Respect is also not a one way street. Respect is something that one earns. Not something one is entitled to.

No. I disagree with you. Maybe someone could be snotty and say it that way. I do have personal relationship with Jesus and if you read what I wrote earlier, I believe I do not have the right to judge people with different doctrines.

Respect doesn't have to be earned. I respect your opinion even though I disagree with you.

swamptribe - the reason I said I respect a person is my belief that each person is made in the image of God. Therefore, because I respect God, I also respect you who are made in His image. So respect does mean to hold you in esteem. It doesn't mean I am just tolerating you. You are important. But if you don't believe in God, I could understand how you wouldn't automatically come to the same conclusion.

I won't go into the judging part of your answer. I think you are talking in circles and I don't like you racial analogy. And yes, bless your heart definitely could be a put-down or a bad habit.

My personal relationship with Jesus was awfully one-sided! Every time I would pray and ask Jesus into my heart (and I'd say it was about 3 or 4 times between the ages of 10 and 15), I kept expecting some transformation to happen. I kept hoping I would feel the peace and happiness that I saw my Christian mentors feel. I had hoped I would be able to pick up a Bible and automatically find wisdom in it instead of being bored with it. I thought Jesus would automatically remove my childhood fears that the devil could come get me and possess me or torment me.

Me too. I always expected that if I asked right, I would really get the holy spirit in me and feel different and be more godly. I used to get so high on worship services and personal devotion times and then crash the next day or even several hours later, feeling hungover, fatigued, lonely and agitated.

swamptribe - the reason I said I respect a person is my belief that each person is made in the image of God. Therefore, because I respect God, I also respect you who are made in His image. So respect does mean to hold you in esteem. It doesn't mean I am just tolerating you. You are important. But if you don't believe in God, I could understand how you wouldn't automatically come to the same conclusion.

I won't go into the judging part of your answer. I think you are talking in circles and I don't like you racial analogy. And yes, bless your heart definitely could be a put-down or a bad habit.

As another person already wrote, respecting me just like any random person on the street doesn't mean much. It's really not respect of any kind. Adding the "because you are made in Gods image" makes it all the more laughable. It's as if you have to somehow justify your not going around shoving people in front of cars or mugging them.

I'm also not talking in circles, but I not surprised you don't want to address my other comment. I'm also not surprised you're hiding behind a 'that's racist' card. Shows me you got the point of what I said. That making the statement "some of my best friends are (insert ethnicity here)" is actually a racist statement. It shows the person making it is racist; the very opposite of what they are trying to claim by making said statement.

In the same way as stating "who am I to judge" is showing that the person making that statement is indeed passing judgement on the subject of their comment.

Hence, to paraphrase you, when you claim "I have a personal relationship with Jesus, but who am I to judge if so and so does or not" you're making it very obvious that you don't believe they do have said personal relationship. Otherwise, there would be no need for the 'who am I' crack.

As another person already wrote, respecting me just like any random person on the street doesn't mean much. It's really not respect of any kind. Adding the "because you are made in Gods image" makes it all the more laughable. It's as if you have to somehow justify your not going around shoving people in front of cars or mugging them.

I'm also not talking in circles, but I not surprised you don't want to address my other comment. I'm also not surprised you're hiding behind a 'that's racist' card. Shows me you got the point of what I said. That making the statement "some of my best friends are (insert ethnicity here)" is actually a racist statement. It shows the person making it is racist; the very opposite of what they are trying to claim by making said statement.

In the same way as stating "who am I to judge" is showing that the person making that statement is indeed passing judgement on the subject of their comment.

Hence, to paraphrase you, when you claim "I have a personal relationship with Jesus, but who am I to judge if so and so does or not" you're making it very obvious that you don't believe they do have said personal relationship. Otherwise, there would be no need for the 'who am I' crack.

Who threw out the "racist card" and "who am I to judge." You can make any argument you like if "you paraphrase " enough.

Nina Hagen has a nice version of Personal Jesus too.

I'm grateful for the respect I get from most everyone on the street. I don't get punched in the face, shoved, yelled at (generally.) It is a big deal actually.

And humans made god/s in their image.

I didn't know this and hadn't seen this perspective before. When I hear someone say it they are speaking with cookie cutter terminology.

ETA: Re: Bless your Heart. I am southern raised and I didn't realize for years this was an insult. I grew up hearing my mother say it in a heartfelt way about someone who was in a bad way, like their kid had an accident or their spouse had cancer. So if someone told me something sad I would say that. I'm sure I saw depictions of this in movies and tv but thought these people were just using the phrase in a different way. :oops:

And humans made god/s in their image.

Are you trying to tell me God doesn't have a uvula?

Preposterous!

I am a Christian, who if asked, would say I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I have said it to my Christian friends for well over 30 years. Having a relationship with Christ is not a buddy relationship and requires the Holy Spirit to be within a believer. Jesus is first and foremost Lord and Savior not buddy.

There is nothing wrong with a person saying that Jesus is their best buddy. Saying that having a relationship is not a buddy relationship is as bad as evangelicals saying you're not a Christian if you don't have a personal relationship with him. It's also as bad as saying that Catholics aren't Christians. People need to stop defining and just accept.

Typical fundie behavior, refusing to address the argument at hand. Instead you dodge and dance around.

I will try to explain once again, just in case you really don't get it yet.

When someone makes the statement "I have a personal relationship with Jesus" what they are stating is that they are a TRUE Christian, as opposed to all those other un-true Christians who don't have the alleged personal relationship. It is a judgmental statement.

ETA: Re: Bless your Heart. I am southern raised and I didn't realize for years this was an insult. I grew up hearing my mother say it in a heartfelt way about someone who was in a bad way, like their kid had an accident or their spouse had cancer. So if someone told me something sad I would say that. I'm sure I saw depictions of this in movies and tv but thought these people were just using the phrase in a different way. :oops:

Was your mother raised in the south? My boss has lived her for almost 30 years (Florida) but is originally from Canada. These phrases are only used in certain areas of the south, but when you have lived in one, or several, you become very aware of their usages. Thing is, I've heard her say it to people, who then give her a shocked look. On this particular day, she said it to one of our regular customers, who is a retired Marine. He snickered. I also pointed out she should never, ever use the phrase "my how nice". Then he blurted out.."Yeah, that means 'I don't give a f*ck'".

http://fuckmytable.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/how-nice/

Typical fundie behavior, refusing to address the argument at hand. Instead you dodge and dance around.

When someone makes the statement "I have a personal relationship with Jesus" what they are stating is that they are a TRUE Christian, as opposed to all those other un-true Christians who don't have the alleged personal relationship. It is a judgmental statement.

When someone makes the statement "I have a personal relationship with Jesus" what they are stating is that they are a TRUE Christian, as opposed to all those other un-true Christians who don't have the alleged personal relationship. It is a judgmental statement.[/quot

I don't think you are capable of understanding what I am trying to tell you. You should go back and read what I wrote when you are not so angry. I never said I tell other people besides my friends I have personal relationship with Jesus, but you seem to want to make a point that Christians are imbeciles so feel free. You don't seem to understand what you are saying is insulting but you are very thin skinned with others. Good luck to you.

I don't think you are capable of understanding what I am trying to tell you. You should go back and read what I wrote when you are not so angry. I never said I tell other people besides my friends I have personal relationship with Jesus, but you seem to want to make a point that Christians are imbeciles so feel free. You don't seem to understand what you are saying is insulting but you are very thin skinned with others. Good luck to you.

Yeah Swamptribe, you can't possibly understand it, you're too angry :roll:

Archived