IGNORED

Lina has gained no weight with her pregnancy

Beeks

I lost almost 20 pounds during the first half of my pregnancy and ended up gaining barely 3 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight by time I gave birth. I can't rag too much on her for not gaining any weight, but am a tad worried about her diet.

emmiedahl, you should be glad you weren't pregnant when my mother had me back in the Dark Ages of the mid 70s. She was strictly instructed that she was not, under any circumstances, to gain even an ounce over 25 pounds. When my brother came along eight years later, she was told that she should gain at least 25 pounds, and more was perfectly fine. The look on her face when they told her that must have been something to see.

I know! My grandmother had twins in the fifties and the doctor suggested she start smoking to keep weight off. She said she gained only 30 pounds with the entire pregnancy, so :shock: crazy much? I hear that they are more strict about pregnancy weight in mainland Europe as well.

Lina's phrasing remind me a lot of the way I glossed things over when I had the anorexia issue. I was obsessed with what I ate, where it came from, how it was arranged on the plate. I kept detailed food logs and was really obsessed with food for someone who ate so little of it. My family thought for a long time that I was just a hippie health nut, until I got down to 80 pounds. So, yeah, I do worry about Lina's hints at a food obsession.

I also wonder if TT is telling her he doesn't want her to get fat. :shock:

I wouldn't be at all surprised, and he would do it in an obnoxious, faux-caring way. "Oh babydoll I'm so grateful to Hashem that you're so focused on being healthy and not gaining too much during this pregnancy!"

I really, really, really hope this isn't true, and I hesitate to even post it, but...

I hope Lina isn't trying to keep her weight down due to speculation or uncertainty about the conception date. Even if she knew for certain she was pregnant when she got married, SO WHAT?

I don't really know what else to say...

Looking back at her earlier posts, when she's at about 9-13 weeks, her daily calorie count & menu look pretty reasonable. Maybe she's just going through a nausea phase & has lost her appetite.

But this is Lina we're talking about, and so, anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some disordered eating going on, since she is obviously very much into rituals, (seemingly) following strict rules on everything from food, to religion (even though she's obviously made up her own religion), and health. Add TT's "support" into the mix, and if she's not already bordering on an eating disorder, she will. Give it time.

TheJewAmongUs brings up an interesting possibility as well, that Lina is trying not to gain weight, so there are fewer questions about when the conception date occurred.

Totally OT - her recipes look phenomenal. Must try all of them....you know when I have more free time - once I can quit my job, live off someone else, and play happy homemaker all the time.

I think she is not truthful, but I don't know where (her eating habits, her weight gain) and I think she has definitely issues with food.

That being said, there are women who really do not gain much. My mother was a bit overweight when her pregnancy with me started, and gained very little, and was asked a week bevor birth if she'd already had me, and I turned out to be really tiny, too.

The pregnancy isn't a lie, just her due date...

Yeah, I thought she was talking about feeling the baby really soon for a first pregnancy. My sister didn't start feeling her little girl until right around the 19-20 week mark and even then it wasn't much. And she's normally a tiny person, so it's not that their builds are much different. (She popped between the "big" ultrasound that I went to on Dec 19 and when I saw her Christmas Eve and her little baby bump is so cute!)

Maybe Lina wants a smaller baby because then it came "early?" :roll:

some people just show late, sometimes caused by stress too. A friend of mine was struggling to finish her masters' dissertation and she was 5 months along... we were always so weirded out when she said oh I'm pregnant she was so skinny, no hint of a belly. But then once she was done with the dissertation, the belly just popped out suddenly.

sometimes it's just random genes, some women just bounce back to normal within a month after birth, others don't.

At least she's followed by professionals and they tell her to gain weight!

I won't knock her on when she felt the baby. I felt my first baby moving at about 12 weeks (it happened whenever I was lying on my stomach), 11 weeks with my second. My sister is 15 weeks along w/ her first and has been feeling movement for at least 3 weeks. Just another pregnancy thing where everybody's different :)

With my second pregnancy, my doc told me that I didn't have to gain weight if I didn't want to. He brought it up, actually. I am chubby, but he said if I was careful it wouldn't be a problem.

she is really thin, so it's possible she has felt the babeh. Especially since she is more like 20-21 weeks. I would say it probably feels more like bubbles than "kicks" (just wait, sweetie until you feel a REAL kick at 38 weeks, lol)

I felt like my metabolism went into overdrive in the first half of my pregnancy. I would eat and eat, and if lunch was even an hour late, I was hungry enough to kill the first creature that came around the corner. I had minimal nausea, which was easily relieved by...eating non-stop! Somehow I did not gain my first pound until 14 weeks. By 17 weeks, I'd gained only 3. Not gaining yet doesn't necessarily mean she's not eating enough. Overall my gaining is normal, and I estimate I'll have gained 28-30 lbs by the end.

I'd no idea Lina was back! It's not very surprising. I wonder if she's ditched the faux Jewish stuff (she always seemed to go through phases after all) in favour of veganism or is just lying low.

I have to say her recipes look interesting, though I understand they might not be ideal for a pregnant woman. But I' always looking for good vegan/vegetarian recipes (though I am neither, at least for the time being).

Um, yeah, at 17 weeks it's unlikely to feel much of anything in a first pregnancy (well, unless she's fudged her dates by 3 or 4 weeks, as predicted).

She could definitely be feeling it. I started feeling my son when I was about 14 weeks pregnant. The first day, it felt like gas, then it switched to feeling like I had a butterfly inside...and then you could actually see him kick and feel it from the outside by the time I was 15/16 weeks. I was very, very thin- I'm naturally skinny (thanks for the fast metabolism, Dad!), but add hyperemesis into the mix and I was down to 102 lbs (and I'm 5'8", so that was ridiculous).

Even before I was pregnant, a few years before, I was having stomach problems- turned out to be a bad flare-up of my reflux, only the second time this had ever happened, and I didn't recognize it for what it was, so it went on for ages and I vomited a whole bunch and lost weight- I was at the doctor's one day, and she was listening to my stomach. All of a sudden, she stopped and went, "WHOA." Apparently, because I was so thin, she could hear stuff, some sort of fluid moving through something, I don't remember, that you don't normally hear. She was like, " :shock: Can I bring my students in to listen to this?" I cracked up and said sure. But I digress...

If Lina says she's feeling the baby, she very well could be. I hope she's eating well- if not, the baby might take what it needs from her own stores (your bones are chock-full of calcium for the taking, Lina!), and that's not a good situation for her health.

Archived