IGNORED

Ohio State Football Player Tweets: Show Atheists Some Hate

lilwriter85

I found this story on the Friendly Atheist's blog

By Blair Scott

Hate, as an emotion, can be a very powerful motivator for both good and bad. The hatred of racism has helped propel civil rights. The hatred of sexism has helped propel women’s suffrage. When one sees hate fuel good things, it is usually hate directed at an unjust or cruel idea or social norm.

It is the hatred of the other kind that concerns most of us: hatred toward people, especially when manifested physically, such as the brutal beatings of homosexuals, lynching of black southerners during the Civil Rights era, etc. This is the type of hate that normally brings about bad things. History is certainly rife with examples.

Everyone is perfectly free to hate anyone they want. But when someone directs hate at an individual or group of people or asks others to “bring the hate� or “visit the hate� upon someone else, then one’s freedom of thought is now a physical manifestation of and subject to criticism, laws, and the appropriate consequences and repercussions associated with the physical action or manifestation.

We have a prime example of this at The Ohio State University: the difference between hating someone and bringing the hate upon someone. OSU football player Jake Russell (#21, punter) tweeted late night on January 24th, “my roommate max rouse (look him up on Facebook) is an atheist, please show him some hate.�

The tweet was deleted later on by Mr. Russell, but not before it was captured for the entire world to see Mr. Russell’s bigotry on display (see image below). Why did Mr. Russell want his 1,400+ followers to show some hate to an atheist? And what exactly does it mean to “show hate?�

Clearly concerned about the well being of Mr. Rouse, the screen capture was emailed to OSU Vice President of Student Life, Javaune Adams-Gaston. Mrs. Adams-Gaston assured American Atheists (via Greg Lammers, our Missouri State Director, who saw and reported the tweet) that the school will investigate the matter immediately. Thank you to Mrs. Adams-Gaston and The Ohio State University for not sitting idly by while this happens.

As for Mr. Russell, we hope sir that no one ever asks anyone else to show you some hate. We hope that one day you will learn the pluralism that exists at your school and in your future places of employment and residence. If anything happens to Mr. Rouse, you will be directly responsible for instigating such action and inciting someone else to violence or harassment. Mr. Russell has brought dishonor to his team and to his school. He has disgraced himself by displaying his bigotry in public. In a way we owe Mr. Russell an thank you for displaying his bigotry so we now know to be wary of him and his possible actions.

To Mr. Rouse, may we point you to The Ohio State University Students for Freethought on campus, an affiliate of the Secular Student Alliance. May you find like-minded friends there, where we can practically guarantee no one will “show you some hate.�

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion ... -some-hate

As someone who lives in Columbus, OSU football players need to STFU in general. The program has plenty of hits over bad behavior already.

Can you imagine having a thug like that as your roommate? I hope Mr. Rouse has already been moved to a different dorm because he shouldn't even have to pass Russel in the hallway.

Hmm...Who Would Jesus Hate? :roll: That's a really super-awesome way to bring atheists around to your way of thinking...

As someone who lives in Columbus, OSU football players need to STFU in general. The program has plenty of hits over bad behavior already.

I live in the town with the 'other' OSU every year we deal with these kinds of issues with our student athletes. Its tiring, all that ever happens is money is thrown at their behavior problems until they are arrested.

As another Columbus native, I couldn't agree more. I think the football team needs to be taken down a few pegs...and soon.

Hmm...Who Would Jesus Hate? :roll: That's a really super-awesome way to bring atheists around to your way of thinking...

I know it always works for me...

As someone who lives in Columbus, OSU football players need to STFU in general.

Ditto, and so do the fans.

Can you imagine having a thug like that as your roommate? I hope Mr. Rouse has already been moved to a different dorm because he shouldn't even have to pass Russel in the hallway.

I hope so too and I think there is a good chance he has been moved to another dorm. I now wonder if more atheist college students who live in dorms encounter problems with roommates who believe that there is a God.

Ugh. My family's full of Ohio State fans, this shit makes me not want to wear my Ohio State hoodie (yes, I'm aware I go to another uni entirely, and one that plays against Ohio State in basketball...) until the football team gets their shit together. Especially since I'm an atheist.

I've never had a roommate that minded me being atheist, though one did offer to pray with me once. Meh. Fortunately I haven't heard of it happening at my uni, though yeah, this is horrible and I know it must happen elsewhere. :(

Things like this is why I have no love for most athletes. They always seem to miss the point that college is about learning to THINK.

I haven't found any updates on this story. My guess is that OSU had things taken care of immediately. Again I hope the roommate is living in another dorm.

College sports annoy me a bit. I found out that about $500 of my tuition goes to athletic programs. So I am taking out student loans to pay for furnished apartments and new cars for people who rarely even drag their asses to class--nice. All because my school likes being Pac-whatever, I cannot keep up with the athletic terms.

Meanwhile my biochemistry professor is writing grants to get funding for his research, which is a new and more effective treatment for diabetes. The school cannot fund that, but a basketball game instead.

College sports annoy me a bit. I found out that about $500 of my tuition goes to athletic programs. So I am taking out student loans to pay for furnished apartments and new cars for people who rarely even drag their asses to class--nice. All because my school likes being Pac-whatever, I cannot keep up with the athletic terms.

Meanwhile my biochemistry professor is writing grants to get funding for his research, which is a new and more effective treatment for diabetes. The school cannot fund that, but a basketball game instead.

At some universities, up to $1000 goes to athletic programs. Just think, I might actually be able to afford university if part of my tuition didn't go toward a program most students actually have nothing to do with. At least most of the student athletes at my uni do drag their asses to class, and do fairly well, but holy crap it seems that a few are none too bright. At risk of sounding sexist, it seems that this is more of a problem in guys, who would of course be rewarded for this kind of thing.

My school's also building a gigantic new psychology building and doubling the size of the student rec center. While they're both useful for all or most students, it's still kind of bullshit that the uni can't also provide more financial aid... but that's really the state's fault more than it is the university's, I think.

The football team is pretty much funding the entire athletics program of our Uni here in town. I strongly suspect that the Uni is also the reason why the bad economy barely seems to affect things here.

The football team is pretty much funding the entire athletics program of our Uni here in town. I strongly suspect that the Uni is also the reason why the bad economy barely seems to affect things here.

Colleges and college towns tend to be always recession proof. Most likely because you get a lot of people who go back to school during a recession to up their skills in their curent career or so they can change careers entirely.

Gag. I know there are lots of people who prefer college athletics to pro sports, but it's cases like this one that reinforce my belief that college athletes can be just as nasty as their pro counterparts.

My ex majored in (sports) journalism at Penn State, wrote for the Collegian, etc. For the 2+ years we were together, all I heard about was what high standards Joe Paterno held his team to, how they were the gold standard for college sports, etc., and we all know how that turned out. I've always been cynical about college athletics, but I feel like I'm only just now beginning to realize what a stranglehold athletes, athletic staff, and athletic departments have over general university administration. I went to a small, academically-competitive state liberal arts university where sports were barely a blip on the radar, so the past few months have really opened my eyes.

Gag. I know there are lots of people who prefer college athletics to pro sports, but it's cases like this one that reinforce my belief that college athletes can be just as nasty as their pro counterparts.

My ex majored in (sports) journalism at Penn State, wrote for the Collegian, etc. For the 2+ years we were together, all I heard about was what high standards Joe Paterno held his team to, how they were the gold standard for college sports, etc., and we all know how that turned out. I've always been cynical about college athletics, but I feel like I'm only just now beginning to realize what a stranglehold athletes, athletic staff, and athletic departments have over general university administration. I went to a small, academically-competitive state liberal arts university where sports were barely a blip on the radar, so the past few months have really opened my eyes.

I also know people who prefer college sports to pro sports and I agree college athletes can be pretty nasty. I remember A&E did a documentary on college sports scandals years ago. I went to a large college and sports was a big deal but not extreme big deal.

My husband prefers college football. He likes the rules better.

I looked this up, and OS does not use student fees to fund their football team (unlike my university). But the football team is not a huge money maker either; it came out $434,422 ahead in the last year reported (2009-2010). This includes more than $27 million in donations that I assume come from alumni, who would probably give money to another school program if not football. So it could be costing the school money in reality, although not as insanely so as many other college football programs.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... nances.htm

I looked this up, and OS does not use student fees to fund their football team (unlike my university). But the football team is not a huge money maker either; it came out $434,422 ahead in the last year reported (2009-2010). This includes more than $27 million in donations that I assume come from alumni, who would probably give money to another school program if not football. So it could be costing the school money in reality, although not as insanely so as many other college football programs.

I just looked at that site and the university I went to (Appalachian State) got 50+% of its academic funding (approximately $5 million) from student fees during the years I went there! That's bullshit--and it also explains why the buildings were falling apart and why students lived in moldy dorms while the school was building a brand new multimillion dollar football stadium. :x

Our local Big Ten Uni made 14 million. OSU must be doing something really wrong if they make that little money.

The 14 million might be a gross figure, or it might not be counting some expenses.

Most universities don't make a profit on sports, and those that do make a pretty slim one.

I understand why sports can be good for a college, I just personally think that they detract from the real purpose of the institution.

Archived