IGNORED

Home Invasion killer sentenced to death

snarkykitty

I'm sure that this has been national news, but for those who haven't heard of the case, one of the two men who invaded a Connecticut family's home several years ago and killed their two daughters and the mother has just been sentenced to death. It's a horrific story that unsettled everyone in the area.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... -to-death/

I'm not sure where I stand on the death penalty, but for something as horrific as these guys did, I can understand the argument, "An eye for an eye." Then again, there is also the notion of forgiveness. As a Catholic, I struggle with something like this.

On one hand, death seems like too simple and kind a punishment. This guy could linger on death row for years - perhaps decades before his sentence is carried out. On the other hand, does this man deserve to live?

It's a tough one. Thoughts?

I don't believe in the death penalty. It doesn't deter crime, gets innocent people executed (not in this case but in some), and is held up for years in appeals. I'm for true life in prison, no parole, no TV, no computer, no conjugal visits, just a lone cell.

I see people like this sort of the way I'd look at a benign tumor. Yes, it's expensive to get rid of, removing it won't discourage other tumors from growing, and it wouldn't kill you if you left it alone- but it’s a tumor and most people would feel better with it gone.

I see people like this sort of the way I'd look at a benign tumor. Yes, it's expensive to get rid of, removing it won't discourage other tumors from growing, and it wouldn't kill you if you left it alone- but it’s a tumor and most people would feel better with it gone.

What a great metaphor!

I would say that I'm generally against the death penalty for a number of reasons. I'm not sure it's entirely moral, it's often racially biased and people have been wrongly put to death, it's traumatic for the staff who are required to kill the accused person etc.

But in cases like this one, my honest reaction is, "Good, he deserved it."

I'm sure that this has been national news, but for those who haven't heard of the case, one of the two men who invaded a Connecticut family's home several years ago and killed their two daughters and the mother has just been sentenced to death. It's a horrific story that unsettled everyone in the area.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162- ... -to-death/

I'm not sure where I stand on the death penalty, but for something as horrific as these guys did, I can understand the argument, "An eye for an eye." Then again, there is also the notion of forgiveness. As a Catholic, I struggle with something like this.

On one hand, death seems like too simple and kind a punishment. This guy could linger on death row for years - perhaps decades before his sentence is carried out. On the other hand, does this man deserve to live?

It's a tough one. Thoughts?

It's not a tough one for me... I don't believe the death penalty is ever justified. One murder (or three, or ten) doesn't justify another.

It's not a tough one for me... I don't believe the death penalty is ever justified. One murder (or three, or ten) doesn't justify another.

Yes, that is where I'm at too. I do like the metaphor mentioned above but I still cannot justify the death penalty.

Erm, why was this moved? The guy was raised Gothardite.

The killer was? Very interesting.

The killer was? Very interesting.

Yes. Part of his defense was that his abusive, super-strict religious upbringing was responsible for why he committed the crime.

I'm truly mixed on the death penalty in this case. But mainly because people end up on death row for decades, with appeal after appeal.

I don't believe in the death penalty. It doesn't deter crime, gets innocent people executed (not in this case but in some), and is held up for years in appeals. I'm for true life in prison, no parole, no TV, no computer, no conjugal visits, just a lone cell.

In general I think I agree with that, except if a person literally has NOTHING to do, I would think that would be intensely awful and they should be able to ask for the execution to get out of it. Because otherwise, ugh.

I would provide some books or something, but definitely not a fun lifestyle.

In general I think I agree with that, except if a person literally has NOTHING to do, I would think that would be intensely awful and they should be able to ask for the execution to get out of it. Because otherwise, ugh.

I would provide some books or something, but definitely not a fun lifestyle.

No problem with books, paper, pencils.

Not to mention when inmates have nothing to do plus being in a hostile environment equals disaster(as in beat downs, knifings(is that a word?). I am okay with books, and even tv as long as the tv is bolted down. I don't know about paper and pencils for the above reasons. This is a subject I am passionate about. I believe everyone can be rehabilitated if they actually have the desire, what we really need is compassion, unfortunately the current prison system isn't built on rehabilitation or compassion.

Yes. Part of his defense was that his abusive, super-strict religious upbringing was responsible for why he committed the crime.

This.

When asked about this case, Gothard dismissed his involvement via his teachings by saying the family was not in the program long enough for it to truly work.

:roll:

I think the murders were horrible but death penalty is just as horrible. an eye for an eye means nothing: are you killing him 3 times? Are you taking 2 daughters and his mother? Are you doing it on a random day in the future after scaring him the same way he scared those people?

For the government to commit such an act... it's disgusting. It has never worked, it costs huge amount of money and more than anything you plan the death of another human being. If you can't rehabilitate, then let them stay in prison. Give them work, therapy and a secure warded environment, but not a planned assassination.

Archived