IGNORED

Esther's Frugal Hair Solution!

snarkykitty

Thats the reason it stays in my kit. You need to have a backup plan incase the water is turned off or something like that. It hurts less then rubbing alcohol.

I had a student come in to my office on Monday and asked if I could give her alcohol to clean her cut! Needless to say I did the soap and water thing. I asked her why she wanted alcohol to clean it. It's because her parents do it at home. Doesn't it hurt, I asked. Well yes, but that's how they clean cuts. I told her soap and water is best so I hope she won't have to do the alcohol treatment again. :?

• Upvote 1

I had a student come in to my office on Monday and asked if I could give her alcohol to clean her cut! Needless to say I did he soap and water thing. I asked her why she wanted alcohol to clean it. It's because her parents do it at home. Doesn't it hurt, I asked. Well yes, but that's how they clean cuts. I told her soap and water is best so I hope she won't have to do the alcohol treatment again. :?

Just thinking about it makes me hurt! I had a mouth ulcer from my retainer that got infected. I tried to use orajel on it once. The orajel had alcohol in it. It hurt so bad, I was crying. I have a high pain tolerance but this was just too much. My doctor was kind enough to give me something stronger for the pain. I dont understand how anyone would consider it a good idea to clean a wound with alcohol.

• Upvote 1

My parents used alcohol to treat my knee when I completely shredded the skin off it when I was 11. It was HORRIBLE and the wound got infected anyway, and 9 years later I still have the scar.

The memory of the whole ordeal is making me feel faint and queasy, as are certain other posts, so I'm going to duck out of this thread for a while.

I had a student come in to my office on Monday and asked if I could give her alcohol to clean her cut! Needless to say I did he soap and water thing. I asked her why she wanted alcohol to clean it. It's because her parents do it at home. Doesn't it hurt, I asked. Well yes, but that's how they clean cuts. I told her soap and water is best so I hope she won't have to do the alcohol treatment again. :?

:shock: My dad's favorite treatment for cuts and scrapes was rubbing alcohol, so the thought of that brings back painful memories. Fortunately, he learned that rubbing alcohol isn't really the best thing for cleaning out cuts, so my niece won't have to go through what we did. I always have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my first aid kit in case the water is off, as it's still better than nothing.

Back to the original topic, I'm old enough to remember Sun-In, but the thought of using peroxide on a toddler is disturbing to me. After all, as I said in another thread, not everyone can have blond hair and look good that way.

• Upvote 1

A high school classmate tried to lighten her hair with peroxide and it turned orange. So she bought some brown hair dye to fix it and it turned green. She had to go to a hair salon and pay the bucks to get the color fixed, and her hair was totally fried. No fixing that.

I like dying my own hair, but you have to be prepared to buy decent dyes and spend a little time, maybe have a friend or sister help.

Is your avatar picture you? if so, I LOVE your hair color!

Agreed, Its not too dangerous to use undiluted. You just need to be careful not to overuse it. Overuse can cause a chemical burn.

I keep it in my first aid kit. Its a great for cleaning out wounds that have junk in them.

It's really not recommended to use peroxide in wounds anymore, it kills off healthy cells along with bacteria and that really slows and impedes healing. Instead (and I'm not trying to whore out a specific product, I swear!) I use a Band-Aid brand product that not only cleans out wounds/kills germs, but also contains a topical anesthetic (http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-antis ... 2D+6+fl+oz).

Source:

http://www.rd.com/health/7-first-aid-st ... never-use/

and the fact that I am a medical microbiology researcher ;-)

I remember watching a Seven Sisters youtube video about how to make your own hairspray ("hairspray") that was just boiling a grapefruit for a while until the gelatin from the rind starts to thicken the water a little and then straining it into a hairspray bottle. Um, that is exactly how you make marmelade (minus the sugar).

It's really not recommended to use peroxide in wounds anymore, it kills off healthy cells along with bacteria and that really slows and impedes healing. Instead (and I'm not trying to whore out a specific product, I swear!) I use a Band-Aid brand product that not only cleans out wounds/kills germs, but also contains a topical anesthetic (http://www.drugstore.com/band-aid-antis ... 2D+6+fl+oz).

Source:

http://www.rd.com/health/7-first-aid-st ... never-use/

and the fact that I am a medical microbiology researcher ;-)

Yes, already brought up.

I tried using peroxide (diluted 3% store variety) when I was in high school along with Sun-In and it never worked on my hair. I have super healthy thick hair, so I wonder if it works easier on drier hair?

But yes, it seems a bit ridiculous to do peroxide on a two year old.

Would it be better for me to keep a sealed bottle of water in my first aide kit?

I would say yes. But I do know there are times when you can be camping far from any running water and if you get a really nasty wound with lots of debris I'd consider using peroxide. If I had both I might use the peroxide, then the water, if I truly was very far from help. Bubbabearzl, what do you think as a microbiologist? I threw out the peroxide in my nursing office because I knew in that setting I'd never use it.

Is your avatar picture you? if so, I LOVE your hair color!

Hahaha I wish. It's Tori Amos. She does have some fabulous hair!

• Upvote 1

This is my take on hair coloring. If you want to cover gray and return it to brown, fine, buy a box of brand name hair coloring and do it yourself. Unless you are already blondish, or were a blond child, blond probably is not your color. If you insist on blond regardless of that, go to a hairdresser. 'Homemade' blond is likely to look that way. Blond is tricky. Even if you are not and never were a blond, blond 'frosting,' not over done, will look good with a tan. I would never, ever change the color of a baby or small child's hair. JMHO

I would never peroxide a toddler's hair. Ever.

I had to give my head a shake over this one....

I have always had ash blond hair. It depends on the season as to how light it gets. My mom and my aunt lightened my hair when I was little maybe 3 or 4 years old. I'm not sure what they used but I had very, very light hair. That was back in the early '60s. I think Mom would have put me on Toddlers and Tiaras if such a thing existed. LOL I now have a hairstylist put streaks in my hair. That video of the girl and her peroxide spray was down right scary. I wonder if she actually watched that video after she recorded it.

I would never peroxide a toddler's hair. Ever.

I had to give my head a shake over this one....

Outside of the nasty chemicals, what kind of message does it send?

"You are just perfect to me! Except your hair color, that needs some serious intervention."

Guest Anonymous

"You are just perfect to me! Except your hair color, that needs some serious intervention."

"I would have preferred the flaxen-haired model of baby, but that's what God made hydrogen peroxide for! Now hold your head real still over the sink, Kinnadee."

I don't think you should use it on a child either, but the OP was all "OH PEROXIDE COMPLETELY UNDILUTED!!!!OMFG!!!!" so I felt like I should say something.

I was? :think:

I capitalized the word "peroxide" as in "aha! peroxide! Who would ever have thought of that?" (Sarcasm)

why are they trying to dye TODDLERS' HAIR?

Because they're too young to fight back? Mine never really had hair, but we dressed him funny and took photos of him all the time when he was being carried all the time. As soon as he got more independent, he stopped letting us (mostly. I have an AWESOME video of him jumping on a trampoline in a ninja outfit.)

"Don't worry, sweetie, I'll love you as soon as you look like me!"

Gah. :doh:

Because they're too young to fight back? Mine never really had hair, but we dressed him funny and took photos of him all the time when he was being carried all the time. As soon as he got more independent, he stopped letting us (mostly. I have an AWESOME video of him jumping on a trampoline in a ninja outfit.)

Which must be shown to all future partners! :D

I remember watching a Seven Sisters youtube video about how to make your own hairspray ("hairspray") that was just boiling a grapefruit for a while until the gelatin from the rind starts to thicken the water a little and then straining it into a hairspray bottle. Um, that is exactly how you make marmelade (minus the sugar).

I make flax seed gel for my hair. Its super easy and less expensive then buying real hair gel. It has also improved the texture of my semicurly hair.

Would it be better for me to keep a sealed bottle of water in my first aide kit?

It's definitely better than peroxide or alcohol, and I freely admit that I didn't even think of it, LOL! Of course, it would still be best if there was also some soap (not anti-bacterial!) to go with it as well :)

I would say yes. But I do know there are times when you can be camping far from any running water and if you get a really nasty wound with lots of debris I'd consider using peroxide. If I had both I might use the peroxide, then the water, if I truly was very far from help. Bubbabearzl, what do you think as a microbiologist? I threw out the peroxide in my nursing office because I knew in that setting I'd never use it.

I think that it would be a very good idea, especially if you don't have soap handy to help the water wash away the bacteria (don't use anti-bacterial soaps, they don't work better than the regular kind and increase the incidence of drug-resistant bacteria). Really, peroxide isn't the most horrendous thing in the world and if it's all you have it's still better than a raging infection :o

Hahaha I wish. It's Tori Amos. She does have some fabulous hair!

I didn't even recognize her! :doh: Yes, her hair is fabulous!