IGNORED

NCFIC Internship program

WonderingInWA

holy shit! I would LOVE to read those applications!

No kidding!

And the photo alone cracks me up. Wow, David Brown looks like married life (at least dinner time) is agreeing with him! Is he old enough to vote yet?

Yes, I'm guessing that, too. It was nice when Blair used to blog so we could keep track of that family. But she must be too busy now taking care of her babies (the one she gave birth to and the one she married, who is still not old enough to drink). I'd love for a FJite who is better at sleuthing than I am to find her on a mothering board or something.

(Scott Brown 30 years of marriage entry) Geez, okay, I can see why a steady marriage of mutual respect is a good thing, but this somehow means you can't 'wow' your wife with flowers? That is somehow equivalent to a phenomenal height of ecstasy and is to be avoided? Sheesh, this sounds less like quiet contentment and more like stultified boredom.

I just read the explanation of NCFIC internships. I guess I would rather intern for Dougie, since he is THE ONE and you get at least a (small)compensation, IIRC.

Apparently "We have seen men grow, stretched, convicted..." - which, properly read, is a fairly good description of Dougie's internships too.

Apparently "We have seen men grow, stretched, convicted..." - which, properly read, is a fairly good description of Dougie's internships too.

:laughing-rolling:

Am I understanding this correctly? How is child-groom David in a position of leadership over the interns who are probably his age or older? I mean, we're talking about a BOY that has never gotten/held a job in his own right and has always been on Daddy's payroll. By leaving/living away from home and working for a non-related family member, the interns are showing a level of maturity and self-sufficiency that old Davey-boy couldn't accomplish (although he'd like to think he's mature because he plays house with Monica). So, tell me again? Why is he mentoring/leading them?

Oh, and what happened to the ginger gargoyle? If memory serves me correctly, he used to be the one in charge of the interns (just like his boyfriend Doug!)

Damn, it's only for men (shocking, I know). I would have actually considered it, NCFIC is that close to me. However...

Upon reading the information sheet, it looks less like an internship and more like 50+ hours a week of slave labor.

Interns are expected to accept cheerfully any other miscellaneous duties assigned by NCFIC Management. Further, they are required to work at the offices of the NCFIC from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. This time includes a ½-­â€hour break for lunch, personal discipleship with Peter Bradrick and Scott Brown :shock: , and cheerful cooperation with all members of the NCFIC staff.

Tentative M-­F Daily Schedule (subject to variation)

• Workout regimen

• 7:45 AM -­†Interns gather for daily corporate Scripture reading and study time.

• Breakfast

• 8:30 AM -­†Daily work begins at the offices of the NCFIC

• Work

• 9:30 AM -­†Discipleship meeting with some member of the NCFIC Staff

• Work

• 12:00 PM -­†Lunch and personal discipleship

• 12:30 PM -­†Lunch ends

• Work

• 5:00 PM -­†NCFIC Offices close

What 20-25 year old would have the time to complete an internship like this? Especially one that runs on a weird spring-fall schedule, so it would be hard to fit it into a normal semester if you were in school. If you were going to put that much time into an unpaid internship, wouldn't you want one that was going to give you more marketable skills? Ministry work can be very rewarding, but there are only so many positions available. Not everyone can open their own Church of the Holy Strip Center, especially if they want to be able to support a family.

Also, as an aside...NCFIC was founded on September 11, 2001? That's...auspicious :?

I noticed a couple things:

Only home schoolers are accepted

Only the father signs/gives permission

What about a fatherless young man?

I remember that the Vision Forum internship gives permission for mothers to sign in that situation. Which is nice of them.

Wow, all of half an hour for lunch and while you're wolfing down your sandwich, you're subjected to 'personal discipleship'.

Wow, all of half an hour for lunch and while you're wolfing down your sandwich, you're subjected to 'personal discipleship'.

Thank God for the microwave!

Not to mention, they start "work" at 8:30 am and end at 5pm and are only alloted a half hour break. So, essentially, Scott's not even factoring in a "free" break. They are essentially being required to work that last half hour to "make up" for the half hour "free-time" they get for lunch. Scott Brown is DETERMINED to get his "money's-worth" of work outta ya :teasing-whipblue:

Ok, the more I think about this, the more irritating it actually is. We all know that the average fundie family is not raking in the dough, especially if they are QF as well. Children Stacked Like Cordwood is not just a post-count title. This is the pool of people from which Scott Brown wants to cull his interns. The interns can be as young as 18 years old--teens who are just barely considered adults, and who have probably just finished school. When would they have had the time to save up six months worth of living expenses, and with a bunch of kids at home, how would parents in a single-income family be able to provide the money for them?

Alternatively, the interns could be a few years older, but that makes the money even harder to come by. If they are 22-23 years old, they must have been working at some point. Are they supposed to just quit their jobs to follow Scott Brown? What if they've already married and started their own quiver? Certainly a young fundie family couldn't do without the man's income for months at a time. Yet NCFIC provides the slaves interns with nothing more than a dorm to live in and 3 meals per week. The dorm doesn't even have a full kitchen or a washing machine, and they have to buy 16 of 19 books themselves too.

Plus that schedule is crazy. They are "tentatively" expected to spend 50 hours during the week at NCFIC's beck and call, which is a little excessive even for a full time job. Saturdays are supposed to be reserved for "service to the community", which is probably more along the lines of handing out tracts than working in a soup kitchen or Habitat house. Then Sundays are nearly all worship and bible study time. Seriously, Scott, WTF? :evil:

And, for more viewing pleasure, Scott and Deborah just celebrated 30 years of marriage. They went to Barbados! You know, in the name of Jesus, of course: http://scottbrownonline.com/

Only in the weird world of Dougie and Scott would you have a "gospel-celebrating anniversary." I do like Deborah's tank top. I'd love to know if she's wearing something other than a skirt - like maybe some capris or jeans. I think the story of her great great grandparents is very interesting and it's cool they went there to see where they were married and lived, but still "gospel-celebrating." Couldn't they have just said they were going to Barbados to see the places where Deborah's ancestors lived. I could sure go for a trip like that!

Only in the weird world of Dougie and Scott would you have a "gospel-celebrating anniversary." I do like Deborah's tank top. I'd love to know if she's wearing something other than a skirt - like maybe some capris or jeans. I think the story of her great great grandparents is very interesting and it's cool they went there to see where they were married and lived, but still "gospel-celebrating." Couldn't they have just said they were going to Barbados to see the places where Deborah's ancestors lived. I could sure go for a trip like that!

And I kind of snarked on their wedding picture. Shows Scott sweeping bride Deborah off her feet, but only shows the back of her head. I asked, "Is that the only picture you could come up with of your own wife at your wedding? It'd be nice to actually see her face!"

Archived