Deleted04

Pasta is made with durum wheat and egg. That's why it has a nice flavour and you can eat plain pasta with just a little butter or oil.

Asian noodles are made without egg and tastes... nothing. You have to add a lot of spices when you cook them to make them edible. When I was a student, I thought that I could replace pasta with noodles (they were cheaper) and just have a plate of it with just some ketchup. It was the first time I threw food away.

I can't imagine what Emily's noodles taste like. She serves them with just a tablespoon of tomato sauce - must be awful.

Back to Emily and Dan: everything Em touches seems so dirty and poor and depressing. The photo of the two boys looks like it's from a slum house and the little boy doesn't look healthy at all.

I also wonder about the baby who has multiple layers of clothing. Here the doctors advice parents not to put too warm or bulky clothes (or thick and heavy blankets) on newborns when they are sleeping, because it's a risk factor for sudden infant death syndrome. The baby doesn't look safe.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can make pasta from flour and water, but you have to throw it into boiling water. Being that her instructions said to put it in the crockpot with water and turn it on....

Most of the pasta I buy does not contain egg as I buy dried not fresh (considerably cheaper)... tastes fine. Not entirely sure about merits of slow-cooking pasta though.

Yeah, most pasta does not have egg in it (and I check, since I don't eat eggs). I actually don't like egg noodles compared to regular pasta.

Most commercial dried pastas do not have egg. I have a child with egg allergies and so I check a lot. Most commercial pastas are also made with better flour and have salt in them too, I imagine the quality of flour and the ratio of flour to water Emily uses to make her gloodles is what makes them so 'interesting' looking. Method of cooking doesn't help.

Oh the epic PB thread! Did you know that reusable ice packs were EXPENSIVE!!!!!!! and didn't last but 2 or 3 times!!!!!!!!

I still think of that some mornings as I toss the ice pack that cost a whopping $1.50 five years ago in my daughter's lunch bag.

Yep! Ice packs are for the wealthy don't you know 8-)

noodles can be made just fine without eggs. But it does take the right flour.

OK, I stand corrected. I usually use dried pasta, but the only recipes I've ever used for making my own had egg in them. I just assumed they would have that raw flour taste otherwise.

Egg-less pasta is made with a particular type of wheat, not plain white flour. I make my own sometimes, though, and adding an egg makes up for the inherent failings of plain flour.

Another important detail: the gloodles were the major part of meal, not something to eat with a rich meat and vegetable sauce with a side of salad and garlic bread.

Making fresh pasta in the crockpot is a gross idea even if you are making the best pasta in the world. Just, ew.

You can make pasta from flour and water, but you have to throw it into boiling water. Being that her instructions said to put it in the crockpot with water and turn it on....
If you can't get it at the Dollar Tree or Wally World, it ain't happening.

GMO was a standard selectively applied in the twisted mind of Em.

Yup. non GMO flour, but nasty, bottom-of-the-barrel tube meat to mix it with. :roll:

Are they still in the same apartment as before? all I can think of is Ralph Wiggum's line "I sleep in a drawer!"

I ended up googling that on youtube and found this video (where the family is obviously joking about letting their kids sleep in a drawer but I could totally see Em and Dna taking notes.

Re: non-reusable ice packs, didn't the instructions said they actually need to be tossed back in the freezer to chill before re-using? maybe she tried to put them in the crock pot.

Yep! Ice packs are for the wealthy don't you know 8-)

Who knew I was so rich!? I really wish people would tell me this stuff!

My daughter has a thermos, too ($8.00 three years ago). She also has a nice lunch bag that I sprung $10 for, but it is also on its third year. There was an investment, but it has paid for itself many, many times over...and my kid gets healthy food that won't kill her classmate that has a contact allergy to peanuts.

But no, all that was just TOOOOO HAAARRRDDDD and out of reach for CJ. Really, if you can't afford $20 to expand your kid's lunch options, and avoid something that can kill a classmate, you can't afford to pop out more kids.

Re: non-reusable ice packs, didn't the instructions said they actually need to be tossed back in the freezer to chill before re-using? maybe she tried to put them in the crock pot.

The ice pack thing is from the epic peanut butter lunch thread on the old board. One of the former posters here cried foul at non-peanut lunches because anything else was soooo expensive. When various alternatives were suggested she complained that icepacks were too expensive and only good for a few uses. Forget a thermos. Those were way beyond reach financially.

I am actually having a really hard time finding a decent thermos for school lunch purposes. I have a great one for me, but it's too big and too fragile (glass inside) for the 6 year old to take to school. The ones I have seen new, lately, all have a pop-top button and last year there was one little girl whose thermos popped open almost every day and soaked everyone's lunch bag - we use the one that came with kiddo's lunch box occasionally at home, and half the time it falls over and pops open and drips everywhere.

I had a small metal water bottle with a screw top but my kid decked another kid with it, so he can't take it to school anymore (I got them as plastic-alternative sippy cups originally, and they were AWFUL for that, either too hot or too cold for his hands all the time). I've been using 6oz water bottles, but I don't like to do that because the plastic degrades over time and gets into the drink. I can't seem to find a stable plastic alternative that fits into his lunch box.

I just read her post on decorating the Christmas tree. It was incredibly sad. A few ornaments her mom gave her, all the dead roses she'd ever gotten, remnants from a bag of Walmart potpourri, and a string of plastic pearls from the Dollar Store that she used to decorate for her wedding. (Yes, one string.)

How festive!

If you can afford one, they have these cool Bento lunchboxes on Amazon and other places that look amazing. Some are insulated so things stay hot or cold, and if your kids are anything like mine they would prefer a Bento style lunch with smaller servings of a greater variety of foods. It would make it easier to get out of the PBJ sandwich habit.

I am actually having a really hard time finding a decent thermos for school lunch purposes. I have a great one for me, but it's too big and too fragile (glass inside) for the 6 year old to take to school. The ones I have seen new, lately, all have a pop-top button and last year there was one little girl whose thermos popped open almost every day and soaked everyone's lunch bag - we use the one that came with kiddo's lunch box occasionally at home, and half the time it falls over and pops open and drips everywhere.

I had a small metal water bottle with a screw top but my kid decked another kid with it, so he can't take it to school anymore (I got them as plastic-alternative sippy cups originally, and they were AWFUL for that, either too hot or too cold for his hands all the time). I've been using 6oz water bottles, but I don't like to do that because the plastic degrades over time and gets into the drink. I can't seem to find a stable plastic alternative that fits into his lunch box.

Eh just cut up some rags soak them in water and put them in baggies for the kids to suck on. I'm sure Emily would approve :lol:

noodles can be made just fine without eggs. But it does take the right flour.

And salt. You need at least a little salt or those things are tasteless. Also, cooking homemade pasta like that in a crockpot? Not gonna turn out nice.

The thermos we have is for food. I have not found a good drink one, either. We got one from Starbucks, but it pops open and leaks everywhere. Drives me crazy to spend $ on juice boxes- not to mention the trash from them and they are not recyclable.

Kleen Kanteen makes some decent thermoses. http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/in ... ulated.php They are all stainless,(and pricy) and while it wouldn't be my favorite choice as a child, they are sturdy (mine has fallen off the roof of my car several times, and can still keep ice frozen for 24 hours!) and simple. No straw, no button top, just a screw on top and an optional top to make it like a travel mug.

I have one of the squat thermos brand stainless ones with hello kitty on it for soups and hot stuff, and a plastic one for cold stuff.

If you have a store like REI near you, they have a huge selection made for camping, but I use them for work. (I generally use a kleen kanteen, but the nalgenes are nice plastic and now BPA free.) http://www.rei.com/category/5760722

Archived