IGNORED

Trailer - Demographic Winter

CynicMom

Ooooooh I don't even know where to begin with this:

IG2IZEzUmA0

It looks tailor-made for our fundies. Thesis: populations are shrinking and the human race is in danger of extinction! Ancient Romans died out cause they didn't want to get married! And people who are concerned about women's rights or [sigh] gay rights are so misinformed! (he actually does sigh sadly before saying the word gay). Made by a Brigham Young grad whose other videos have appeared on Glen Beck! Here's some bio on the creators from their last work:

http://www.lostcivilizationdvd.com/about_us.html

I need more exclamations points, ya'll! I need to go make more babies to pay for the old people! Edited for riffle.

"certain kinds of humans" what racist dogwhistle garbage.

The fundies will eat it this up with a spoon and ask for seconds.

ETA: I like they focus on just Europe/the west, and how everyone interviewed was white.

Somebody call the Anonymous "hackers" and tell them to hack the shit out of these guys's youtube account if they have one. Then, maybe they can edit their videos to make them funny instead of depressingly racist.

• 1 month later...

Someone posted the trailer to the movie on the 19K&C Facebook page, leading to the following conversation:

Joy Smith

This may be interesting to people who are interested in population/overpopulation.

Demographic Winter

www.youtube.com

http://www.demographicwinter.com/index.html Synopsis Demographic Winter: Decline of the Human Family One of the most ominous events of modern history is quie...

Amanda Roddy

that is code for 'there aren't enough evangelical Christians having enough babies" I think they forget kids are a big responsibility and we actually have more choices. It is the reason for fewer children and not because society is devaluing family. Progressive countries like the US can choose the number of kids unlike some other nations. Michelle chose to have 19 kids but women in under developed parts of the world may not get to control this. Besides, at 7 billion and counting, I think someone is doing their job. In the year 50 world population i expected to be 10.5 billion.

Joy Smith

Did you even watch it? This movie has ZERO to do with Christianity.

Joy Smith

Actually don't even bother answering, I can tell from your statement you commented out of complete and utter ignorance. In your haste to bash Christianity you ignored what I shared. Really shocking you'd want to comment on something that you chose not to even look at first.

Kimmie Li

I could only watch part of the video because I have class. Do they address first world access to reproductive rights and take economic and political struggle into account in first and third world countries and how it relates to birthrate? What is the explanation for those? Thanks in advance to anyone who answers

Joy Smith

This is *not* one of the movies that is promoting Christians having more children to "out-do" the muslims so we have more Christians to vote/push Christian beliefs. If it was that kind of movie I would not have shared it. Just in case Amanda falsely led anyone to believe that's what this movie was about.

It looks tailor-made for our fundies. .

Vision Forum are way ahead of you, it's already for sale on their site! Which automatically makes me sceptical about the message.

I agree that inverted population pyramids are not great though.

The world has functioned with less people. Why would a gradual decrease in human population be terrible? As long as we continue to advance in technology and science, our descendents quality of life should keep improving.

Many things contributed to the decay of the Roman civilization. The Roman emphasis on extending its boundaries and trying to control defeated people certainly wasn't helpful to its survival.

Gotta love the image of children disappearing from a classroom, when the major problem facing many schools is overcrowding.

This is a very broad statement'

"No one wanted to get married and no one wanted children." I'd like to see her proof that among the Romans no one wanted children or to get married. That is an unusually broad statement

Certain kind of people are on their way to extinction? What the hell does he mean by that? Groups intermarry all the time.

Yes, society will change but that is a good thing. Do we want to continue doing everything like our ancestors did? If so, we might have well remained in tribal systems. Change is not evil.

The world has functioned with less people. Why would a gradual decrease in human population be terrible? As long as we continue to advance in technology and science, our descendents quality of life should keep improving.

Many things contributed to the decay of the Roman civilization. The Roman emphasis on extending its boundaries and trying to control defeated people certainly wasn't helpful to its survival.

I think the concern with a declining population in some countries, like Japan, is that the work force is shrinking and not contributing enough taxes to support the older population who is no longer working. Most countries generally just solve that problem through immigration, though. So I don't think a decrease in human population would be great for the economy but we are really not in danger of a global population decrease for a loooong time. Maybe by the time we do get there we will have some solutions in place.

I think I found the movie on YouTube but it's only 51 minutes. Is that the full movie? I guess it is hard to lie and be racist for much longer than that anyway. Here's the link if you want to watch:

I think I will try to see some of it later tonight.

"Not much controversy among people in the know"?! I want to shake these people and sit them in front of population growth charts!

Birth rates are indeed shrinking world wide- partly due to increased access to medicine because the infant mortality rate is not as high as it used to be. People aren't birthing eleven children so they can end up with a family of four children as much.

Fertility rates are especially low in Russia and Japan, true. And yes, pretty low in Western Europe too. But even so, there are very high fertility rates in sub-Saharan Africa. At the most optimistic prediction which involves all regions achieving low fertility rates, the population will level off at around 10 billion in the next fifty years.

Also, lol at "native French people of traditional French ancestry."

Lastly, what the heck does any of this have to do with family? China has one of highest marriage rates in the world and divorce rates are far lower than any Western country. But yet, they limit their birth rates. Hmm?

I guess "people in the know" means people who don't know what they're talking about. :roll:

I notice that the documentary tries to make itself look tragic, but actually it looks melodramatic and pathetic.

I'm glad this was posted. I noticed a discussion (rather one-sided) on a conservative Christian, qf-minded board that I read, where this film was used as the only support against the idea of over population. I looked for critiques of the film but lost motivation quickly. Glad someone else has done the dirty work for me. ;-)

European countries offer incentives for having children. Germany is proposing to increase tax on the childless. I think it will come back to bite them in the you know where. The sky is not falling if you look in the right places. This is about making the 'right kind' of babies.

The film sprinkles bits of truths into their discussions and then makes absurd statements such as "the world is seeing a decline in population" and "the Romans fell because they weren't getting married and having children". Seriously? What scholarship work produced those ideas? There are hints that they are mainly concerned with the decline of "Western civilization" making me suspicious of underlying racist sentiments. Heaven forbid that people are intermarrying or that white people aren't popping out babies as fast as black people.

How exactly am I expected to marry the fact that the word's population is now bigger than ever with the fear expressed in this documentary?

European countries offer incentives for having children. Germany is proposing to increase tax on the childless. I think it will come back to bite them in the you know where. The sky is not falling if you look in the right places. This is about making the 'right kind' of babies.

This reminds me of a news item I read about a shrinking town in Italy where the mayor offered to give money to any woman who gave birth in the town. He then demanded the money back when he realized it was being given to women having the "wrong kind" of babies (ones with Muslim immigrant parents).

Back when I was in college, and researching my senior thesis for history, I spent a lot of time reading newspapers from the first two decades of the 20th century.

A hundred years ago, "Demographic Winter" was called "race suicide." But it was the same basic idea: the right kinds of white people aren't having enough kids.

It was a response to a couple of factors, namely declining birthrates among, white native-born, Protestant Americans, and the massive influx of mostly-Catholic, mostly-Italian, hyper-fecund immigrants (who were not automatically considered "white," oddly enough).

The world's population is not shrinking; there is no world population crisis. What scares the shit out of this new crop of "race suicide" dogwhistlers is that declining white birthrates in North America and Europe open up all kinds of opportunities for new groups of immigrants from Asia, Latin America, and Africa. My God, we might all become like Toronto! And as Kidist Asrat will tell you, that's a horrible, horrible thing...

A hundred years ago, "Demographic Winter" was called "race suicide." But it was the same basic idea: the right kinds of white people aren't having enough kids.

My husband and I were gifted both Demographic Winter and the sequel Demographic Bomb several years ago. Before anyone on this board jumps to conclusions about why we own these films, they were given to us by a married female fundie who (this is rare, but many European fundies are big on head-coverings AND female education) has her graduate degree in Economics, is from Poland, and ironically, has no children of her own.

The films are certainly NOT racist in any way. The concern of the first is that there are not enough tax paying citizens to cover for the non-taxpayers on state aid. This is a issue for MANY countries. The concerns about Japan and China were stressed in these films--I assure you that neither of these countries are suffering because there aren't enough white middle class families with high replacement ratios. Neither country has a replacement ratio of taxpaying citizens to aid the older generation. Hence, taxes have risen unbearably and the youth is suffering under this financial burden.

The second film advocates the rights of minorities and even the rights of women in countries like India and Mexico as well as African countries who have been victims of forced sterilizations. If anything, it highlights the racism of World Organizations who have no respect for a woman's rights in either the direction of pro-life or pro choice.

The films also do point out that religious groups (Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, etc) tend to have higher birth rates than their secular counterparts. This statistic is fairly well known and not racist.

In short, these movies are not Mark Steyn books. They are not pro-American. And, they are certainly not racist.

I wonder if these incentives exclude the Rom ?

Our population has decreased before. The black plague killed a third of Europeans and yet, humanity not only survived but has flourished. One of the positive aspects of that very dark period was that laborers were given more rights and pay. The peasants got bargaining power because there was less of them to work. It also helped end feudalism.

Life changes. Our world will change if our population decreases. I think that it will change for the better. Instead of frightening people into having babies that they don't want and can't afford, why not put emphasis on science and technology that will better the lifes of the entire population.

My husband and I were gifted both Demographic Winter and the sequel Demographic Bomb several years ago. Before anyone on this board jumps to conclusions about why we own these films, they were given to us by a married female fundie who (this is rare, but many European fundies are big on head-coverings AND female education) has her graduate degree in Economics, is from Poland, and ironically, has no children of her own.

The films are certainly NOT racist in any way. The concern of the first is that there are not enough tax paying citizens to cover for the non-taxpayers on state aid. This is a issue for MANY countries. The concerns about Japan and China were stressed in these films--I assure you that neither of these countries are suffering because there aren't enough white middle class families with high replacement ratios. Neither country has a replacement ratio of taxpaying citizens to aid the older generation. Hence, taxes have risen unbearably and the youth is suffering under this financial burden.

The second film advocates the rights of minorities and even the rights of women in countries like India and Mexico as well as African countries who have been victims of forced sterilizations. If anything, it highlights the racism of World Organizations who have no respect for a woman's rights in either the direction of pro-life or pro choice.

The films also do point out that religious groups (Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, etc) tend to have higher birth rates than their secular counterparts. This statistic is fairly well known and not racist.

In short, these movies are not Mark Steyn books. They are not pro-American. And, they are certainly not racist.

What did the trailer mean by 'certain kinds of people"? Maybe the full movie explains those words better but in the trailer, the comment sounds racist.

I need to watch this movie myself.

The concern of the first is that there are not enough tax paying citizens to cover for the non-taxpayers on state aid

This bothers me. I listen to news from Europe and read some media from overseas. IRRC some of these 'non-taxpayers' are refugees, immigrants, some caucasian, but most not. I've also read about the hate crimes these people are victims of because they are 'non-taxpayers'. My opinion on the subject may just differ with that of the film maker, I know it differs from those of about 99% of my fellow Americans.

Archived