IGNORED

Being gay is just like stealing expensive shoes

formergothardite

Really, that is what this person says.

onebrightcorner.blogspot.com/2012/01/called-to-deny.html

Just like most people deny themselves things they can't afford, gay people can deny all their tendencies to be gay.

Homosexuality is no different than theft, addiction, libel, bribes, or adultery--except that many of these sins are still deemed immoral and illegal by those around us.

Wow. The author assumes that not only can gay people deny their orientation, but also that homosexual activity is like theft, libel, bribes, or adultery. Thing is, I can see the harm that comes from theft, libel, bribes and adultery. In contrast, I see only good in the many happy same-sex relationships I know.

Just like most people deny themselves things they can't afford, gay people can deny all their tendencies to be gay.

Homosexuality is no different than theft, addiction, libel, bribes, or adultery--except that many of these sins are still deemed immoral and illegal by those around us.

It is a sin when other people do the bolded, unless they are teabaggers running for President....

Wow. The author assumes that not only can gay people deny their orientation, but also that homosexual activity is like theft, libel, bribes, or adultery. Thing is, I can see the harm that comes from theft, libel, bribes and adultery. In contrast, I see only good in the many happy same-sex relationships I know.

You would see the harm if you were THINKING OF THE CHILDREN, DAMMIT. The ebil gays are obviously ruining America and causing the divorce rate to rise. Duhhhh.

"And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that Man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals." << History.

I've seen that logic a lot. The rationale behind it that I was taught back in the fundie childhood days was that we are all born sinners but that we will have an inborn tendency toward different sins. Gays are supposed to resist acting homosexual tendencies just as the rest of humanity is supposed to resist acting on whatever tendencies toward theft, violence, etc.. we may have. In some ways, I find this logic more scary than the "oh, they're just choosing to be gay," school of thought because it's just close enough to current science to be dangerously plausible.

Interesting theory. If someone stole my shoes I bet I'd be more pissed.

ETA: Don't use shoes in a hate campaign. They are sacred. :D

Guest Anonymous
Interesting theory. If someone stole my shoes I bet I'd be more pissed.

ETA: Don't use shoes in a hate campaign. They are sacred. :D

Especially if they're by Jimmy Choo, Prada or Manolo Blahnik

Frankly I think there would be no expensive shoes worth stealing if there were not as many gay designers. Versace anyone? (ok I know he designed clothing but you get my point!)

Frankly I think there would be no expensive shoes worth stealing if there were not as many gay designers. Versace anyone? (ok I know he designed clothing but you get my point!)

YAY! This!

On the other hand, we could still wear straight ass Calvin Klein shoes : )) (IDK for them)

But see, with theft, libel, bribes, and adultery, you're hurting another person. Being gay...well, hurts no one really, but let's say you do believe that it is a sin, being gay isn't "hurting" anyone except for the person and their partner.

At least, that is how I thought of it coming from a Christian perspective growing up. If I see a gay couple, it doesn't really affect me negatively, but if someone steals my shoes, sleeps with my (hypothetical) husband, that does affect me very negatively.

So, I think that, even if you are considering homosexuality a sin (and I'm not saying that I am, mind) I don't think it's even remotely in the same category.

:clap:

OT: My daughter dated a Versace cousin in college.

Carry on.

Fundies who compare homosexuality to adultery don't realize that Jesus wouldn't let the woman who committed adultery be stoned. I've said it before and I'll say it again. God himself could come down and tell fundies to just stop it, and they'd argue the bible with him.

Fundies who compare homosexuality to adultery don't realize that Jesus wouldn't let the woman who committed adultery be stoned. I've said it before and I'll say it again. God himself could come down and tell fundies to just stop it, and they'd argue the bible with him.

Sad, but true, especially if it's the KJV

If you can't say something nice come sit next to me.

YAY! This!

On the other hand, we could still wear straight ass Calvin Klein shoes : )) (IDK for them)

Oh, honey, Calvin's gay or at least bi! My daughter saw a pic of Calvin and his hot young boyfriend last week. I know Calvin's been married, but so have a lot of gay men. I recall reading in Randy Shilts's And the Band Played On that Calvin would come to organizing meetings for Gay Men's Health Crisis in New York City, but he'd never come out. Calvin's supposed boyfriend at the time was designer Perry Ellis who also was not out. The leaders of GMHC were frustrated that these two well-known men would not come out and speak out as they knew if could do lots of good. Perry died of AIDS on 30 May, 1986.

Linky to a photo of Calvin and his BF, Nick Gruber: http://gawker.com/5625681/the-revealing-pictures-of-calvin-kleins-new-boyfriend-the-20+year+old-underwear-model

Archived