IGNORED

Who of our favorite fundies are calvinists?

slh12280

Just wondering, as I am fascinated by the concept of predestination.

Pretty much everyone associated with VF, so the Phillipses, the Botkins, the Bauchams, the Browns, etc.

The Duggars are defiantly not a Calvinist. They're Baptist (not Reformed ones.)

I'm pretty sure the Mortons are Calvinist, but I'm not entirely sure

Aren't the Maxwells followers of Steve?? I cannot see them following calvinist stuff.. That would mean some other man had a better hotline to god than Stevie! Impossible!!!

I discussed this topic with a minister at an important SBC church. He has not a Calvinist. However, Calvinist theology does not divide along denominations very neatly. He told me that there are SBC ministers who are Calvinists and that he has Calvinist members in his church, even among the elders. It is something that they sort of tiptoe around in order to be cohesive. Apparently, this is a part of the reason why traditional denominations are losing membership to more and more independent churches. The independent churches are more homogenous with regard to their Calvinist vs. Arminian belief.

The Duggars identify as Baptists. They could be either Calvinist or Arminian.

I think that Calvinist thinking has influenced a lot of Christians that would be appalled to be considered Calvinists. For example, many Baptists talk how sinful and worthless they were before they became Chrisitans. Yet, they would not consider themselves to be Calvinists because they believe in free will.

In America, some Christians seem to be isolating themselves and trying to seperate the world into us/them categories. That is probably why Calvinist churches are growning. I doubt that it has anything to do with the superiority of Calvinism or their interpretation of the bible.

When I was on Catholic Answers, the Calvinist there always ended up in scripture battles with Catholics and nonCalvinist. The bible has verses that back up each side so a Calvinist doesn't have the bible on their side more than anyone else.

The Duggars are defiantly not a Calvinist. They're Baptist (not Reformed ones.)

I'm pretty sure the Mortons are Calvinist, but I'm not entirely sure

Baptists by and large are Calvinists.

Now Steve is getting it all wrong, doctrineally. He says we have free will to choose right or wrong. BUZZ! (We are sinful, most Christians believe. WE can only choose evil. It’s God’s spirit turns us to the good.) Meh. I’m not too upset. This is Steve Maxwell talking, after all.

from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3166

Maybe not Calvinist? idk

Baptists, unless they are Reformed Baptists, are not calvinists- I'm pretty site that the Duggars are not calvinists. From Facebook creeping/blog reading, I think that the Bauchams, Jenny Leding, the Sprouls, the McDonalds and Autumn are all Calvinists.

Isn't the not-Duggar-Josiah a Calvinist? The 19 year old who supported slavery, wants to stone gays and now is gushing over Mark Driscoll on his blog.

The Royal Chanceys are Calvinists as is Generation Cedar (or at least they're affiliated w/Calvinist churches). I think the Harrises (Rebelution, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, etc...) might also be. Oh, and the Sprouls, mustn't forget them.

I totally read the title of the post as 'Who of our favorite Fundies are Cannibals?' Which is of course a more interesting discussion,is it not? ;0

Sovereign Grace churches are Calvinist. Josh Harris pastors one of them, so I presume he is Calvinist even if the rest of his family isn't. I don't know about them.

ATI folks tend not to be. The Pearls aren't, either.

Do you think Calvinism is having a resurgence along with hard-core Dominionism, or is it more of a regional thing? I ask because I never heard of Calvinism/Reformed theology or met an avowed Calvinist until I was 20 (grew up in Oregon) and I have a friend who grew up in Nova Scotia who thought (when he was young) that Calvinism was a heresy that had died out centuries ago. :-) I know this is highly impressionistic, but I'm not sure how both of us, fairly theologically curious within our limitations, missed all the Presbyterians running around unless the extreme adherents just weren't as vocal at those times and places.

Do you think Calvinism is having a resurgence along with hard-core Dominionism, or is it more of a regional thing? .

Calvinism is definitely growing in popularity, and had been for maybe 5-10 years or so, but much of the "New Calvinism" (Driscoll, etc) is different from more traditional Reformed theology and many of the old-school Calvinists do not really like much of what goes along with the "young, restless, and reformed" crowd.

I don't really see a lot of these people identifying as Reformed/Calvinist in 5-10 years or so. I think it's a fad for a lot of people, and they may be following certain popular leaders (Driscoll for Some, Doug Phillips for others) without really grasping or examining the whole theology and worldview. Even now, a lot of them are moving more toward charismatic practices and things like visions and extra-biblical revelation, which would not be accepted in a traditional reformed church. I think a lot of people are just calling themselves Calvinist because they associate it with complementarianism and with some degree of predestination, but then they don't bother to look any further to see if what they really believe or what their church practices is in line with traditional Reformed theology.

If the growth of Calvinism, old- or new-school, does end up being a long-term trend, it wouldn't surprise me to see a split develop over it in the Southern Baptist Convention. A lot of old-school Baptists consider Calvinism a type of heresy, but many younger Baptists are embracing it and I think there's only so long this whole "agree to disagree" thing can work. I've already seen the fallout from n independent Baptist preacher becoming known as a hardcore Calvinist, when all of the other IFB'ers around are Arminian, and it caused all sorts of drama. I imagine the same thing will happen when SBC churches that have always had free-will leaning start finding themselves with Calvinist pastors who've graduated from SBC seminaries.

Archived