IGNORED

Chinese Food in public schools is threatening America

Wolfie

I didn't understand her explanation of a "semi-private" school. WTF is that ? She did mention something about the school not taking special ed kids ?!? What a horrible woman.

It might be like how some of the private schools here in Canada receive funding from the government, but only a portion so the parents pay tuition and the school has more freedom than a regular public school (i.e. they can teach to specific religion) but to as much as a full private school (i.e. they can't fire a teach because the teacher doesn't 100% live by said religions teachings).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where I live (Wales) some of the primary school dinners are OK and they also have breakfast club which is basic but means everyone can eat properly before lessons begin. But at High School things slip quite badly. They do have healthy options, but overwhelmingly the kids choose the crap: burgers, pizza etc, because it is available. Worst though, we have an odd timetable which means that there are 3 lessons before lunch, lunch at 1.15pm and then only 1 more lesson before hometime. Many teens don't seem to get up for breakfast, and are hungry well before lunch, so the school sells "hot snacks" in the second break time at 12 noon: chip butties or pizza slices that the kids have 15 minutes to eat.

At one point, my niece (who does get up for breakfast) was eating pizza at break and then going back for lunch with chips an hour later. She has now developed a habit of taking a sandwich or salad from home and just having a snack as a treat on Fridays, but for a while her diet was very unhealthy indeed.

It's very much the same at my son's middle school. However, they do have healthy sides at least, like fresh apples and oranges pretty much year round, whole milk or chocolate milk (hey, at least it's a serving of calcium), and a semi well-stocked salad bar. They also don't allow soda on campus, so the kids either drink milk, juice or water.

My son, being a lifelong particular eater, has never been interested in buying the meals served at school. So I pack him lunch every day.

I found MsPillow completely charmless and by her description, her children seem like entitled brats. (Possibly unfair, but if it's true they whined about having a bland lunch and threw it out, then that makes them entitled brats in my book.) I notice she tried to explain away the fact she knew the lunch menu ahead of time yet still didn't manage to pack them a lunch, by saying they spent the night before at their aunt's house. I guess the aunt isn't able to pack a simple brown bag lunch either. Whatever. A bunch of crybabies.

If our country is descending into crap, it's more because of people like MsPillow than anything else. Willfully ignorant, xenophobic, and generally just plain unlikeable people.

How can someone be xenophobic in the USA when it's a country founded by 'immigrants'? And whoever came to the country, ADDED something to it.

The way our public school does it: the children choose one of two main dishes and then serve themselves the sides as they like. Today the choices for lunch were a teriyaki chicken bowl or a chicken breast sandwich, and the sides are green salad, cucumbers, Asian vegetables (what? I guess stirfry veggies?), fresh pineapple, and fortune cookies. I am actually very pleased with our school lunches as far as balance and cost go, but they have way too many calories, usually around 700 calories for a lunch.

The middle school, junior high and high school have the same menu but they also have options that are available everyday: salad bar, pizza, etc. My high school junior eats a slice of pepperoni pizza, french fries, chocolate milk and a cookie every day. Every. Day.

I have waged war against our staff canteen to get them to identify pork in food.

The food isn't fantastic there, though the servers are lovely. But I hate it when I get chicken in a tasty looking sauce only to find the sauce is covering up something wrapped in ham or a salad only to open it and find bacon bits, with no warning.

I am not vegetarian but I do not eat pork. While I am not angsty about food I eat being touched by pork, or having some in it if I don't know, I would strongly prefer not to buy it or eat it by choice, and I imagine a lot of fellow workers might feel that even if it's a religious thing they don't particularly observe, they don't want a pig meat ambush when they least expect it. I would like to know if something contains pork gelatin too.

My only choice seems to go veggie (which would be totally sick inducing as it translates as "smothered in mayonnaise") or to accept the ambushes. Still not sure if that is reasonable or super picky!

I have waged war against our staff canteen to get them to identify pork in food.

The food isn't fantastic there, though the servers are lovely. But I hate it when I get chicken in a tasty looking sauce only to find the sauce is covering up something wrapped in ham or a salad only to open it and find bacon bits, with no warning.

I am not vegetarian but I do not eat pork. While I am not angsty about food I eat being touched by pork, or having some in it if I don't know, I would strongly prefer not to buy it or eat it by choice, and I imagine a lot of fellow workers might feel that even if it's a religious thing they don't particularly observe, they don't want a pig meat ambush when they least expect it. I would like to know if something contains pork gelatin too.

My only choice seems to go veggie (which would be totally sick inducing as it translates as "smothered in mayonnaise") or to accept the ambushes. Still not sure if that is reasonable or super picky!

I think it's OK as long as you say that the pork and a lot of mayonnaise is threatening your heritage. Then it would be totally reasonable!

I also wonder about her children.

Maybe they just came home and said they didn't happen to like the lunch ( no kid is going to like everything ) and their crazy ass mom turns it into a conspiracy against America :shock:

Out of curiosity, why no pork?

If there's anyone else for whom it's a religious issue, they may cooperate. I remember putting my tot on the "no pork" list at daycare after the workers approached me and said that the "vegetarian" list wasn't working because she was stealing meat from the other tables (she's still a staunch carnivore). I still wonder how many parents saw the No Pork list and thought she was Muslim, since all the other kids on the list were.

That's funny. Back in the 60's the schools in my small midwestern town served something they called "chow mein" every other Wednesday. I probably would gag on it now (I remember those crispy noodles, canned bean sprouts, and celery--lots of celery) but I looked forward to chow mein days when I was a kid. I'm quite sure political correctness had nothing to do with it then, or today.

Out of curiosity, why no pork?

I don't eat pork, it makes me very nauseated every time I try it.

I don't eat pork because it's a migraine trigger. Every once in a while I give in to bacon, but I stick with very small amounts and try to make sure it's nitrate free. (another migraine trigger)

I don't eat pork because it's a migraine trigger. Every once in a while I give in to bacon, but I stick with very small amounts and try to make sure it's nitrate free. (another migraine trigger)

What about red wine as a migraine trigger? I don't have migraines but I once tried red wine and got a killer headache that was like a migraine, have never had red wine since.

What about red wine as a migraine trigger? I don't have migraines but I once tried red wine and got a killer headache that was like a migraine, have never had red wine since.

I'm not a big red wine drinker either. But it seems that nitrates that occur naturally aren't as big of an issue as nitrates that are added as preservatives.

2x, I don't eat pork because I used to work signing off pigs heading to slaughter. I didn't see the actual killing bit, my job was to officially certify Pig A headed to slaughter at, say, 9am and passed the check, was admitted and processed. (I also had to deal with angry farmers whose pigs had been rejected at check, but that was another issue.)

It didn't bother me at first (and I used to get a bacon roll in the morning) but after a while I became uncomfortable with it. I read a little about the life of the pig, learnt they were intelligent like dogs,etc. I saw the pigs and piglets at farm events. Then I had a horrible dream where the pigs were pleading with me for their lives. I got a new job (this was about six years ago) and avoided pork since.

I have eaten it by accident a few times but on purpose only once. It was at a wake, I was starving, and Small Relative had et all the sandwiches. So I had two sausage rolls, which I promptly threw up...

2x, I don't eat pork because I used to work signing off pigs heading to slaughter. I didn't see the actual killing bit, my job was to officially certify Pig A headed to slaughter at, say, 9am and passed the check, was admitted and processed. (I also had to deal with angry farmers whose pigs had been rejected at check, but that was another issue.)

It didn't bother me at first (and I used to get a bacon roll in the morning) but after a while I became uncomfortable with it. I read a little about the life of the pig, learnt they were intelligent like dogs,etc. I saw the pigs and piglets at farm events. Then I had a horrible dream where the pigs were pleading with me for their lives. I got a new job (this was about six years ago) and avoided pork since.

I have eaten it by accident a few times but on purpose only once. It was at a wake, I was starving, and Small Relative had et all the sandwiches. So I had two sausage rolls, which I promptly threw up...

I too avoid pork for this reason. Pigs are incredibly social, curious and friendly animals and they are raised under horrible conditions.

Plus, I get sore joints from pork. I know that people with arthritis should avoid it. I have salami now and then, but it is from organic pigs who live outside and are slaughtered at the farm, so they don't have to go through long transportations.

It might be like how some of the private schools here in Canada receive funding from the government, but only a portion so the parents pay tuition and the school has more freedom than a regular public school (i.e. they can teach to specific religion) but to as much as a full private school (i.e. they can't fire a teach because the teacher doesn't 100% live by said religions teachings).

I went to high school nearby, and some of my friends went to the school in question. It's located in a rural area which is not served by a public school, so the surrounding towns pay the tuition for the local kids. It is technically private, and there are some commuting and boarding students, but everybody pretty much just thinks of it as the area's public school. It's actually not all that uncommon in the more rural parts of the state.

Also, the woman who prepared the meal isn't just some kid's mom or something - she's actually pretty well-known for her Chinese appetizers, which she sells at farmer's markets and gourmet shops. They even have 'em at a shop in my neighborhood (down here in the GAWDLESS LIBRUL part of the state) - I might have to buy some tomorrow in an attempt to somehow cosmically balance out this batshittery. Destroying REAL AMURRCAN VALUES, one dumpling at a time. :)

This is pretty much why I didn't eat pork for 13 years. Highly intelligent animals raised in monstrous conditions, and the farmers can hardly make a living off it despte all the cut corners. I got really good at figuring out what might have pork in it and creative ways of avoiding it without having to discuss the particulars of my ideologies at every turn.

This spring, Mr Ohiken asked if we raised some pigs on our farm, if I would eat the pork. I agreed on the premise that the would be humanely raised and well cared for. Pigs are generally an excellent creatures to keep on a farm as they eat all the leftovers the other animals can't/won't, very efficient. They were happy little porkers, large run, lots of mud and sun. They were slaughtered here, so as to not cause extra stress by trucking them to the butcher. Now I have another problem, I can't refuse pork when served it as a guest. It's quite rude to say, "oh, of course I'll eat MY pig, but not THAT."

Archived