IGNORED

Chinese Food in public schools is threatening America

Wolfie

I've been taught that it is a insensitive word when referring to people. I don't know anyone (except people who use other types of ethnic slurs and some older people) who uses the word where I live. To me, it seems strange. But if it doesn't seem strange or insensitive to those in other countries/regions, then so be it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been taught that it is a insensitive word when referring to people. I don't know anyone (except people who use other types of ethnic slurs and some older people) who uses the word where I live. To me, it seems strange. But if it doesn't seem strange or insensitive to those in other countries, then so be it.

I don't use it either because in the us it has traditionally been problematic.

Is that non-PC in the US? Over here in the UK it's a completely mainstream and inoffensive word. Seriously, here it isn't offensive at all, and it's used by the media, supermarkets, the educational system and the general population. The term 'Asian' usually means from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh etc.

Pretty non-pc. It's like calling a black person "colored" or a "negro". You *might* just roll your eyes if it's your 90 year old grandfather saying it, on the grounds that it was "okay" when he was young and he'll be dead soon anyway, but really, you figure by now he should've caught up!

Asian by default means Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese and so on. India/Pakistan/Bangladesh would be called specifically Indian/Pakistani (not many Bangladesh immigrants making public discourse) or possibly referred to as "South Asian".

Of course, until recently our Asian immigrants were more likely to come from China and Japan than from India and Pakistan, so that probably plays a part in why the terminology is what it is.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. Now I come to think of it, over here it isn't common for people from south-east Asia to be referred to as 'Orientals'; that does ring badly. However it is definitely normal and inoffensive to say that someone is or looks 'oriental'. So someone can be 'oriental', but is not 'an Oriental'. Does that make sense? I daresay eventually the word 'oriental' will become fully non-PC one day, like it seems to be in the US, although at the moment it isn't.

Where do you live Clementine? I've never heard of 'oriental' meaning from the Middle East before.

Sweden. Oriental is oldfashioned but not a horrible way to say that somebody is from the area Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iran or Iraq. "He looks oriental" is no worse than saying "he looks Asian/Indian/African" etc.

I think it's mostly used when talking about interior design, food or fashion these days. Oriental rugs is what we normally call all the handmade rugs from the Middle East. Oriental dance = belly dance. Oriental is also often used to describe interiors from that area... and I think that items from Morocco are included in that description.

Headlines like "Oriental winds/Inspired by the Orient" etc are often found in fashion and interior magazines.

I only recently learned that Oriental = from South East Asia when you use it in the US. And that it's not ok to use.

homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=428680

The title basically says it all.

I am so glad the students all survived this unchristian cuisine!

Homesteading today always brings the crazy. I used to read there daily when I was learning about my livestock. One man was apoplectic that not every poster was a god fearin *C*hristian. He felt the concept of homesteading (or more accurately, living in the country and being somewhat self-sufficient) was intrinsically tied to love of jeebus. I remember having a huge argument on General Chat about abortion after Dr Tiller died.

I have been on HT for about 8 years now, and banned more times than I can count!

MPillow is a bigot, in another post from months ago she called a kid who was bothering one of her kids a "Towel-Head", she got stomped on for that one too!

M.

Just wanted to say, heaven help that person if they ever come to Parma, Ohio. We will assault them with our Polish pieorgie, halushki and halupki!

Also, did anyone else notice that the OP's location in that link is listed as CHINA? So, are they upset that their American heritage is being threatened while their children attend a semi-private school in China, or am I just missing something???

Pretty non-pc. It's like calling a black person "colored" or a "negro". You *might* just roll your eyes if it's your 90 year old grandfather saying it, on the grounds that it was "okay" when he was young and he'll be dead soon anyway, but really, you figure by now he should've caught up!

Asian by default means Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Vietnamese and so on. India/Pakistan/Bangladesh would be called specifically Indian/Pakistani (not many Bangladesh immigrants making public discourse) or possibly referred to as "South Asian".

Of course, until recently our Asian immigrants were more likely to come from China and Japan than from India and Pakistan, so that probably plays a part in why the terminology is what it is.

This, so verymuch! And I am knocked out by your grampa comment!

Just wanted to say, heaven help that person if they ever come to Parma, Ohio. We will assault them with our Polish pieorgie, halushki and halupki!

Also, did anyone else notice that the OP's location in that link is listed as CHINA? So, are they upset that their American heritage is being threatened while their children attend a semi-private school in China, or am I just missing something???

They live in China, Maine, USA.

I was born in New York City. My parents told me that the first place we went out for dinner after my birth was a Chinese restaurant. It was a point of family pride for us ONLY to go to the same Chinese restaurants where Chinese people ate. Real Chinese food FTW!

And MPillow's original post, and all her followup ones, amounted to a massive logic fail.

Just wanted to say I'm SOOO glad that I'm not alone in that! :lol: My great grandfather is the only person from whom I will tolerate racism, just because back in the 20's that was how things worked.

And the person on that forum is an idiot if she thinks that serving egg rolls once or twice a year is going to contribute to the downfall of America. Personally, I looked forward to the one day a month that my high school served sweet and sour chicken. It was one of the better meals they served and EVERYONE loved it and tried to go back for seconds. If the food at her kids school sucks, well, pack them a sandwich. Not hard to do. If it is hard, give them $5 and tell them to have fun at the vending machine.

I love Chinese food, both the fried Americanized version, and the real deal.

I have had co-workers from Korea, China, Laos, and the Philippines and love, love, love everything they bring to the potlucks at work. With the exception of white rice, which most people like anyway, none of it can be called bland. All of it has a lot of flavor.

Did this school serve La Choy Chow Mein or something? What a bigot!

I didn't understand her explanation of a "semi-private" school. WTF is that ? She did mention something about the school not taking special ed kids ?!? What a horrible woman.

Re calling people Asian, I think in the UK it's done because you can never know if someone is from India or Pakistan, and they would get seriously, mightily upset if you accidentally called one the other, so Asian was chosen as a safe, cover-all.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I help out in my kids school cafeteria once a week. So much food is thrown away, it is incredible. But, honestly, I wouldn't eat most of it anyway. It is pretty gross.

Reheated, instant foods....corn dogs, french fries, nasty precooked burgers reheated in boiling, water.

But, they have to meet 1/3 of the USDA requirements and only have $2.00 a day to do it.

Our school is small. I'd love for Jamie Oliver to redo our meals.

Even though Jamie supposedly revamped out school dinners here, they are still diabolical. I work for the local authority which Jamie first took issue with over the school dinners (I live in a neighbouring town). I work in schools so see the school dinners what they serve now. They are no better at all. My daughter goes to school in my town and the school dinners here are just as bad. So far this week my daughter has been served; Monday - hot dog, chips, apple and milk, Tuesday, pizza, cauli, yoghurt and juice. I wonder what today's gastronomic delight will be. That is not healthy food in the slightest and school lunches cost approx £2 per day, which isn't much I know, but the local authority spends less than 50p of that £2 on the food.

Now my daughter never eats much at lunchtime anyway so I don't mind so much, she takes fruit for a morning snack, has porridge made with milk and fruit for breakfast and eats a good tea at home. I know she throws a way a lot of what she is served at school; yesterday for example, the pizza went in the bin and she at the cauli, yoghurt and juice. If they made the meals more appetising, the kids would eat more. But despite Jamie Oliver's overhaul, it still is a case of 'open packet, reheat, serve' in schools.

Guest Anonymous

Where I live (Wales) some of the primary school dinners are OK and they also have breakfast club which is basic but means everyone can eat properly before lessons begin. But at High School things slip quite badly. They do have healthy options, but overwhelmingly the kids choose the crap: burgers, pizza etc, because it is available. Worst though, we have an odd timetable which means that there are 3 lessons before lunch, lunch at 1.15pm and then only 1 more lesson before hometime. Many teens don't seem to get up for breakfast, and are hungry well before lunch, so the school sells "hot snacks" in the second break time at 12 noon: chip butties or pizza slices that the kids have 15 minutes to eat.

At one point, my niece (who does get up for breakfast) was eating pizza at break and then going back for lunch with chips an hour later. She has now developed a habit of taking a sandwich or salad from home and just having a snack as a treat on Fridays, but for a while her diet was very unhealthy indeed.

There is a new store by me called "Oriental Market". It is owned and run by Chinese immigrants. I feel weird about saying the name and usually say "Asian Market" as do most of the people I know.

There is a new store by me called "Oriental Market". It is owned and run by Chinese immigrants. I feel weird about saying the name and usually say "Asian Market" as do most of the people I know.

The word Oriental reminds me of exotic markets, places like Hong Kong, stirs up heart wrenching desire to experience it. Things like Oriental express. It sounds far, far better than even the word 'black' to mewhick I would never use if I talk about a person.

Guest Anonymous
Thanks for the clarification everyone. Now I come to think of it, over here it isn't common for people from south-east Asia to be referred to as 'Orientals'; that does ring badly. However it is definitely normal and inoffensive to say that someone is or looks 'oriental'. So someone can be 'oriental', but is not 'an Oriental'. Does that make sense? I daresay eventually the word 'oriental' will become fully non-PC one day, like it seems to be in the US, although at the moment it isn't.

I don't think,'Oriental' is considered a pejorative term in British English, but it is an antiquated term. I can't think of any places or times I have really heard it used lately.

Calling someone 'an' anything seems a bit stupid, if not offensive, but I hear that all the time. I was amused to be referred to as 'an English' on one occasion, when a sales person was talking about me to a fellow Welsh colleague.

In Lower Manhattan we have the National Museum of the American Indian.

Can't just use the specific tribal identification because they're inclusive of several tribes. And while I know there's still some serious debate about the acceptability of "American Indian", I was taught that the term is very old-fashioned, at best.

So I usually just call it "That Museum" while pointing.

I help out in my kids school cafeteria once a week. So much food is thrown away, it is incredible. But, honestly, I wouldn't eat most of it anyway. It is pretty gross.

Reheated, instant foods....corn dogs, french fries, nasty precooked burgers reheated in boiling, water.

But, they have to meet 1/3 of the USDA requirements and only have $2.00 a day to do it.

Our school is small. I'd love for Jamie Oliver to redo our meals.

Jamie Oliver came to a city in my home state and redid a school's meals. The children didn't eat it and the cooks complained too.

I grew up in Appalachia and the 1/3 thing is done because for some children the food they get at school is all they get.

I looked up my local school's weekly menu. For breakfast: Oatmeal muffin square, yogurt. Breakfast bites w/ syrup. Granola and fruit, parfait. Scrambled eggs and whole grain biscuit w/ apple butter. Cheese toast. They offer cereal and fresh fruit everyday.

For lunch: Beef taco (w/ cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc), refried beans, Spanish rice and corn on the cob. Oven baked chicken, parmesan rotini, broccoli w/cheese, roll (whole wheat) and peaches. Cheese pizza, steamed carrots, tossed salad and a pear. Sloppy Joes on bun, cole slaw, steak fries, vanilla ice cream, and applesauce cake (birthday meal-done at the end of every month). Beef lasagne, garlic bread, Caesar salad, green beans and jiggly fruit (I assume this is jell-o and fruit combo).

That's not so bad. The lady's post is xenophobic and ridiculous. Her children are spoiled and entitled. How dare they serve Chinese food twice a year? Also, authentic American most of these are not-except maybe Sloppy Joes. I'm not sure their origin and a search didn't get me anywhere. Either it came from a bar in Iowa or Havana, Cuba. No one's heritage is being threatened. The mix of cultures is what America is all about. What would America be without all these cultures and ethnicities and religions, etc.?

Also, some idiot on there complained that we ought to be okay with serving dog then. No, that's not legal in the US. Dogs and cats are domesticated pets, not food here. The stupid burns that if they serve lutefisk as Norwegian food we would agree with the OP. No, because what's wrong with it? So effing what? My kid tried the lutefisk and didn't like it. Now s/he knows they don't like it, but got to try a dish s/he wasn't used to from a different culture than her own. Big whoop. No one is being threatened.

I don't think she'd be too happy if she was in California then... Chinese, Japanese and Mexican entrees are frequent choices on our school menus here. Teriyaki entrees are quite popular at my kids' elementary school.

Jamie Oliver, pssshhh. If he really meant to help that American school lunch program, he shouldn't have required them to spend money for new cooking utensils and more expensive ingredients only to produce food that local kids would not eat because it was "weird." Someone pointed out at the time that there are a lot of local truck farmers there--so why wasn't he visiting them to find out how to enable the school to buy from them directly, rather than getting the crap from the food service company? And did he do any taste testing before his "revamp" of the school lunch program? At all?

(When I was in school there were actual cooks who actually cooked food in the school kitchen, none of this 100 percent prepackaged airline-dinners-in-Hell garbage, but if kids aren't used to eating it, they won't eat it. Why wasn't Oliver out buying fresh cabbages and looking up a copycat recipe for KFC's coleslaw? Get the kids eating fresh veggies, locally grown even, but make the food familiar--don't try to make them eat shepherd's pie when they have never heard of shepherd's pie! But I digress.)

Our school lunch program serves pancit, pirok, and churros. Because, you know, actual Americans eat this food. (Oh, wait, I forgot, they're brown, so to her they don't count.)

The other problem with Jamie Oliver's show was that his menus weren't meeting the federal school lunch program requirements. That put the funding the school gets at risk. He also seemed to have no concept of how the USDA works - a lot of the food the schools get, they get for next to free out of "surplus" foods. I would have been more impressed if he had figured out a way to use the surplus food they get in more healthy ways.

Plus, things like the pizza he was turning his nose up at was pretty healthy - they use all whole grains now, and lower fat cheese and meats. The french fries are baked.

I loved watching his show, but then I read all the analysis of it later, and was totally bummed out.

Archived