IGNORED

Chinese Food in public schools is threatening America

Wolfie

LOL.. hamburgers are from Germany... pizza, fetuccini, spaghetti etc are from Italy, and pretty much all the rest are from Mexico. What are they afraid of, again?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the thing... what is American food?

Really everything that is considered "quintessential American food" can indeed be traced back to immigrants!

Apple pie is British, Hot Dogs are German and I could go on and on.

ETS; SNAP Virgin Mohito was composing as you posted! :D

Really everything that is considered "quintessential American food" can indeed be traced back to immigrants!

What about chowders and fried chicken? Are they "American" or from some other country?

I think Chowder is french isn't it?

Just googled and apparently even Fried chicken has scottish origins. Learn something everyday! :-)

I'm afraid, the only original American food is grilled buffalos. All the rest were imported. So what's the fret : )

I'm afraid, the only original American food is grilled buffalos. All the rest were imported. So what's the fret : )

And turkey! Wild turkeys are only found in America... I think?

My goodness, the students were served Chinese food twice this school year. What would they do if the kids were given Thai food.

"Why didn't you just pack your child's lunch? Don't you get a menu ahead of time so you know what they will be serving?

ETA- If the kids were really that hungry, they would have eaten the food they were given without whining about it. Are you going to boycott spaghetti because it is Italian? Tacos because they are Mexican?

Where is the survival aspect here?"

This was the very first reply :P Bwhahahahah!

Wow, there's some crazy on that thread! I thought at first she was a poe, but it seems that she's for real.

If children are light eaters, why not just serve them smaller portions?

The rules were made up back before snacking became common. As near as I can glean, you MUST serve (not just offer) the children 1/3 of their daily estimated calorie intake at breakfast and at lunch.

This is absurd for the exact reason you stated.

I help out in my kids school cafeteria once a week. So much food is thrown away, it is incredible. But, honestly, I wouldn't eat most of it anyway. It is pretty gross.

Reheated, instant foods....corn dogs, french fries, nasty precooked burgers reheated in boiling, water.

But, they have to meet 1/3 of the USDA requirements and only have $2.00 a day to do it.

Our school is small. I'd love for Jamie Oliver to redo our meals.

Homesteading today always brings the crazy. I used to read there daily when I was learning about my livestock. One man was apoplectic that not every poster was a god fearin *C*hristian. He felt the concept of homesteading (or more accurately, living in the country and being somewhat self-sufficient) was intrinsically tied to love of jeebus. I remember having a huge argument on General Chat about abortion after Dr Tiller died.

Well, I'm living in China, and I've had a pretty good (pretty delicious) New Year these past few days. I don't think they're serving traditional regional dishes to American schoolchildren.

I've loved every style of Chinese cuisine that I've encountered so far - but I'm a 'good' eater, or so my mum has always told me. The only thing that annoys me is leaving the fishbones/ seafood shells on in everything. You're supposed to eat them along with the meat (mmm...exoskeletons!) even with the teensiest of shrimps; actually the taste is OK, but it makes me really self-conscious to pick it all out of my teeth afterwards.

And I believe I've read somewhere that the concept of frying food in oil (deep fat frying as opposed to pan frying) originated in sub-Saharan Africa. So not at all 'American'.

ugh! reminds me of my cousin who argued that having Halal meat in the supermarket was a threat to the majority, because if the minority was taking too much space, where would the majority go? UGH well it's gonna go in the 95% of the leftover supermarket. Plus you don't mind having mexican food and chinese food and you eat sushi every week!

And one of her fangirls used the word "oriental" for Asian people :shock:

Is that non-PC in the US? Over here in the UK it's a completely mainstream and inoffensive word. Seriously, here it isn't offensive at all, and it's used by the media, supermarkets, the educational system and the general population. The term 'Asian' usually means from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh etc.

Is that non-PC in the US? Over here in the UK it's a completely mainstream and inoffensive word. Seriously, here it isn't offensive at all, and it's used by the media, supermarkets, the educational system and the general population. The term 'Asian' usually means from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh etc.

Same here. It is rarely used, but "oriental" means a person from the Middle East. Asian means from south-east Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, China etc).

Same here. It is rarely used, but "oriental" means a person from the Middle East. Asian means from south-east Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, China etc).

Where do you live Clementine? I've never heard of 'oriental' meaning from the Middle East before.

Here in Canada "Asian" is for people from Asia, and "oriental" is use by people who can't bring themselves to say "Asian" because it's too PC.

I've always been told that "oriental" applies to objects (like rugs, etc.) and "Asian" applies to people.

Where do you live Clementine? I've never heard of 'oriental' meaning from the Middle East before.

Our guide in Egypt used it all the time to describe Egyptians and middle Easters. It confused me at first!

Archived