IGNORED

A woman would be forced to have a child conceived by rape

Witsec7

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"make the best out of a bad situation.".... "accept this horribly created" baby, because it was still a gift from God, even if given in a "broken" way.

:angry-cussingblack:

are you F*cking kidding me!?! :x

I just don't even have words right now. GAH!!!! :angry-screaming:

GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum explained his opposition to abortion even in cases of rape during an interview Friday, saying that women who face such circumstances should "make the best out of a bad situation."

What the hell?

I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created -- in the sense of rape -- but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you. As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life we have horrible things happen. I can't think of anything more horrible, but nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation and I would make the argument that that is making the

What he is saying is that a rape victim's mental health is less important than a mass of cells that can't think or feel pain. The decision should be between a woman and her doctor. Except to provide the woman with safe care regardless of her choice, the government should remain out of such a personal decision.

He isn't the only one

In 2010, Tea Party-backed Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle was asked to explain her belief that abortions were unacceptable even in the case of a girl being raped by her father.

"I think that two wrongs don't make a right," she answered. "And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at-risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade."

Do these people not understand how cold their decision is? My fifteen year old daughter is tiny. I would not want her to risk her life for a baby until she is certain that she wants one.

Prolifers view the fetus as a cute newborn. They don't comprehend that early in the pregnancy the cells don't have a fully formed brain

Hey even if a 10 year old is knocked up by dad with twins no less and the doctors say it will kill her it is still not acceptable to have an abortion.

Hey even if a 10 year old is knocked up by dad with twins no less and the doctors say it will kill her it is still not acceptable to have an abortion.

Didn't that happen in Brazil/

Seriously not even if there is a chance the mother may die? That is something I don't understand. If the choice is to lose just the baby OR lose the baby and mother? Why is this even a conversation we need to have? An unborn fetus or a living, breathing human being... why is this a conversation again?

The Duggars and the Bates must agree with this crap.

You can bet they do! Can you imagine if -God Forbid- but if one of their daughters got raped and became pregnant? guh just doesn't bare thinking about!

The more these extremists say such hateful things about women, the more likely that Obama is going to be re-elected. I just hope that none of the Bates or Duggar girls get raped and end up pregnant, as they would be forced to carry to term, in addition to being blamed for somehow defrauding the rapist. :obscene-birdiered:

These people jump on bandwagons without thinking though the positions as presented by their candidates of choice. They just nod up and down like bobble heads.

Didn't that happen in Brazil/

Yes.

As I recall it was a 9 year old, and the doctors did perform the abortion which saved her life, at which point the Catholic Church excommunicated the girl, her mother and the medical team, but not the rapist. What he did wasn't bad enough to be worthy of excommunication.

Reason # 5342427 for me to leave organized religion.

Edited to add: I was somewhat incorrect. While the girl was initial excommunicated it appears that the Vatican over turned it on the grounds that she was a minor. The excommunication of her family and the medical team still stands.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 95,00.html

The doctors claim her hips were too narrow to allow for labor, the Church said she should have carried to term and had a c-section.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 98,00.html

You cannot make this sh*t up.

Here's the thing though, the entire anti-abortion argument falls apart if they allow exceptions for anything except the life of the mother and even there, it's morally questionable to save the mother at the expense of the child. If it's a baby, and it's wrong to kill babies, then it's just as wrong to kill a baby created through rape or incest as through plain old contraception failure. It's not the baby's fault.

It's a horrible thing to force women to bear children born of rape, absolutely horrid and cruel. But it is logically consistent. And while the honest truth is that nobody, not even "pro-life" people truly believe that a fetus at all stages of gestation is exactly the same as a born, wanted baby, they can't admit this truth out loud. (What decisions they make privately for themselves or their daughters are their dark secret.)

But if they start to say it is ok to kill incest babies but not rape babies, or only if the mother is a helpless girl and not an impoverished woman, then suddenly black and white starts to have shades of gray, and people can get to argue about what shade of gray is light enough to make murdering a baby acceptable, and where to draw the line, and it becomes a lot harder to make the argument that this shade of gray makes you a murderer, but this one just makes you someone who had to make a tragic choice, because people can't agree about the shades of gray, let alone the line between black and white and -boom- the entire anti-abortion agenda becomes indefensible. The Hyde Amendment is mind-boggling to me for just this reason. I don't understand how the exceptions in it make any sort of legally defensible sense at all.

Pro-choice people have it easy. We get to say abortion is a medical procedure that should be legal, affordable, and attainable, and it is up to the woman involved to make up her own mind about where to draw the line, for herself, in her current and unique situation.

When I was interning for NARAL, my executive director said something that really made me think. She was talking with a rape survivor who said, "When I was in the hospital getting examined for the police report and they offered me Plan B, it was the first time since the rape that I felt like I was starting to take control of my body again." Frothy and the Duggars would deny women who are pregnant from rape the opportunity to take control of their bodies for at least 9 months and, since pregnancy can have lasting complications, possibly for the rest of their lives.

Santorum said this in the SC forums. He would not make an exception to rape or incest and basically even for health reasons he would refuse because it's a "blessing." What was his wording again? Something like "we kill babies from rape, but not the rapist. We are a screwed up nation."

His youngest daughter has Trisomy 18-a terminal disorder and it's fine if he and his wife chose to carry that child to term. However, I think it horrible of him to tell another couple that they have to have it after they get the news. Since 90% of those born with it die within the first week of life and other 10% die by their teens-that's heart-wrenching and understandable to me if parents don't want to put themselves through that loss. It's not up to Santorum to decide what a couple decides is best for everyone. I would probably consider terminating in that case for both mine, my possible significant other's and the child's sake. If he didn't-fine, but it's not his right, even as President (God willing he won't be) to tell me, or anyone facing such things what they should do nor does he have a right to tell me or anyone to keep a pregnancy from rape or incest.

He's not a woman. He will never have to experience that-he will never have to worry about becoming pregnant from such a horrible thing. As such, I don't think he has any right to tell a woman what she should do or what the "Godly" thing to do is. If it's okay to force miscarriage on a woman who is accused of adultery, then I see it perfectly reasonable to let a woman terminate a pregnancy never intended to happen by someone she never wanted to have a child with and was forced.

If there's one thing I've noticed about ultra-conservatives like Santorum, the Duggars, the Bates', and others mentioned here on FJ, it's that life inside the womb takes precedence over life outside. For these people, those already living life don't matter. We see this from their anti-welfare stance, to how they treat their own children. I can't imagine being forced to carry a child of rape. And for that child to grow up with a mother who may not even be able to look at them without thinking about it (or to later find out they were put up for adoption because of that) is just beyond heart-breaking. I'd like to be able to say that I don't often wish certain situations on people, but for those so opposed to logic, I think the experience would do them some good, if only to open them up to some compassion. As the saying goes, 'until you walk a mile in another's shoes...'

If the girl died if she followed through there would not be much thought given to her sacrifice in the church. These attitudes are going to cost big time in churches. where the person does not matter only what you do about it. people are not putting up with as much blind faith as they used too. education will kill these horrible attitudes. they make god shake his head with humanities stupidity.

:angry-screaming:

WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS ASSHAT????????

I make it a point to Google the "correct" definition of Santorum each and every day. And should he get the nomination (unlikely but still...) I will quit my job and walk from house to house until I convince every person in my city to vote for Obama.

He is just downright disgusting.

Here's the other thing... pulled from the following link:

rippdemup.com/2012/01/so-rick-santorums-wife-had-a-partial-birth-abortion/

Two days later, she became severely feverish. She was rushed to the hospital and placed on intravenous antibiotics, which reduced her fever and bought her some time, but could not eliminate the source of infection: the fetus.

Karen was going to die if her pregnancy was not ended, if the fetus was not removed from her body. So, at 20 weeks, one month before what doctors consider ‘viability’, labor was artificially induced and the infected fetus was delivered. It died shortly thereafter.

Santorum's Wife had an abortion at 20 weeks.... Yes, it saved her life.. but now he is saying he is against this? Seriously fucked up, in my opinion.

Here's the thing though, the entire anti-abortion argument falls apart if they allow exceptions for anything except the life of the mother and even there, it's morally questionable to save the mother at the expense of the child. If it's a baby, and it's wrong to kill babies, then it's just as wrong to kill a baby created through rape or incest as through plain old contraception failure. It's not the baby's fault.

It's a horrible thing to force women to bear children born of rape, absolutely horrid and cruel. But it is logically consistent. And while the honest truth is that nobody, not even "pro-life" people truly believe that a fetus at all stages of gestation is exactly the same as a born, wanted baby, they can't admit this truth out loud. (What decisions they make privately for themselves or their daughters are their dark secret.)

But if they start to say it is ok to kill incest babies but not rape babies, or only if the mother is a helpless girl and not an impoverished woman, then suddenly black and white starts to have shades of gray, and people can get to argue about what shade of gray is light enough to make murdering a baby acceptable, and where to draw the line, and it becomes a lot harder to make the argument that this shade of gray makes you a murderer, but this one just makes you someone who had to make a tragic choice, because people can't agree about the shades of gray, let alone the line between black and white and -boom- the entire anti-abortion agenda becomes indefensible. The Hyde Amendment is mind-boggling to me for just this reason. I don't understand how the exceptions in it make any sort of legally defensible sense at all.

Pro-choice people have it easy. We get to say abortion is a medical procedure that should be legal, affordable, and attainable, and it is up to the woman involved to make up her own mind about where to draw the line, for herself, in her current and unique situation.

I've had this argument numerous times with a friend of mine who is pro-life except in cases of rape, incest, or life of the mother because there is documented (brain? heart?) activity after six weeks or something odd like that. Life of the mother I get - but I always ask, what makes a fetus of rape or incest any different than a fetus that was not conceived in that manner?

In her mind, it boils down to choice. (Even if you had a IUD that failed, etc.) Yet it seems like the bottom line to her IS that the unborn fetus/child has some form of life pre-birth, hence her arbitrary cut off point. If you believe a fetus has a soul or life or whatever at X point, it shouldn't matter whether you chose to bring the baby into the world or not.

So, basically, she doesn't want to look like a total dickwad for forcing 12 year-old girls to have babies with their fathers.

If it's okay to force miscarriage on a woman who is accused of adultery, then I see it perfectly reasonable to let a woman terminate a pregnancy never intended to happen by someone she never wanted to have a child with and was forced.

WHAT!? :shock:

:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-banghead: :angry-cussing: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingwhite: :angry-fire: :angry-steamingears: :obscene-birdiered::obscene-birdiered:

IMMA HIT EFFIN FRTHY WITH AN EFFIN PIG RIGHT IN THE EFFIN BALLS!!!!!

I mean.... no like! :angelic-little: :angelic-innocent: :angelic-halofell: :angelic-halo: :angelic-green: :angelic-grayflying: :angelic-flying: :angelic-cyan: :angelic-blueglow: :angelic-pink: :angelic-pink: :angelic-sunshine: :angelic-red: :angelic-whiteflying: :angelic-yellow:

SMILIE... OVERLOAD... BEEEEEEP.......

Archived