IGNORED

Fundies sound like anti-suffragists

gardengreen82

http://thehairpin.com/2012/01/are-women-people

Just saw this post this morning, it's excerpts of a book from 1915 by a suffragist mocking the arguments of people who were opposed to giving women the vote. What struck me is how incredible similar the anti-suffrage arguments sounded to the arguments fundies use today. Everything from "women are happier in the home" to women arguing for restrictions on the rights of other women while exercising those same rights themselves in order to make their argument, etc. I think my favorite was the part where the author addresses the argument against female education. I always thought that fundies denied their daughters education as a way of trapping them in that life- they have no skills and so they have no opportunity for financial independence. I'm sure that is a large part of it, but the author of this book pointed out that it was also based in male insecurities and fear of being academically bested by a woman.

I love how these fundamentalists idealize that era, when in reality people thought those arguments were just as dumb back then too!

(p.s. I didn't break the link because it's not a fundy site- I hope that's ok)

What is this Thehairpin site? is it conservative, I mean is it something that goes along with homophobia and antifeminism etc?

I was confused by their articles, they didn't make any sense.

thehairpin is amazing and very much does not go along with homophobia and antifeminism. Can be a bit quirky, though, and they sometimes post things that amuse them without explaining why so if you're not from a similar background or you don't have a similar mindset, I guess you mightn't 'get' it?

thehairpin is amazing and very much does not go along with homophobia and antifeminism. Can be a bit quirky, though, and they sometimes post things that amuse them without explaining why so if you're not from a similar background or you don't have a similar mindset, I guess you mightn't 'get' it?

Oh, thanks for explaining, it just didn't make sense to me at first.

Archived