IGNORED

What is the Difference Between Born Again and Evangelical?

gustava

In my evangelical church days there was a general view that one must be 'born again' to enter the kingdom of heaven. But it was also accepted that for some people brought up in the faith, there may be no definite memory of a particular moment that they said the 'sinner's prayer' because their understanding of the gospel came to them so young. I guess it would depend on whether or not you were brought up in a family where the whole household is woken up whenever there is a new Christian in the home, or whether you were brought up in a quieter family.

I remember a favourite tale of an older Christian friend was that she used to pray with her very young grandchildren at night and pray that they would "grow up to know the Lord Jesus". At 3, one grandchild said indignantly "But I already know the Lord Jesus, Grandma". By their theology, it doesn't matter when the child said the sinner's prayer if she says she did, and given that the only evidence is if her life bears fruit afterwards.

In my Sunday School as a little child, being born again was so important that it was sung to you on your birthday...

"Happy Birthday to You

Only one will not do,

Take the Gift of Salvation

And then you'll have two!"

In my evangelical upbringing, a favorite saying was "God has no grandchildren". Children were required to have their own conversion, even if it happened at a very young age. Many people I grew up with talk about being saved at four or five years old, but they know when it "happened".

Guest Anonymous

It all gets a bit blurred.

My 'second birthday' was officially a date in February when I was 15 and went to the front at a Christian Youth concert to make a public confession of faith. I had actually said the sinners prayer in private prayer the year before but didn't tell anyone so I thought it 'didn't count', on the basis of Romans 12: 9 - I had never 'confessed with my mouth' before that day.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

At Christian camps it was quite common for people to respond to altar calls even if they had done so before, just to be sure of their salvation. Unnecessary said the Calvinists... "once saved always saved" (Romans 8:38), but aged 15 and being told about how hot it is in hell, many of my friends celebrated 'second birthdays' several times a year.

It all gets a bit blurred.

My 'second birthday' was officially a date in February when I was 15 and went to the front at a Christian Youth concert to make a public confession of faith. I had actually said the sinners prayer in private prayer the year before but didn't tell anyone so I thought it 'didn't count', on the basis of Romans 12: 9 - I had never 'confessed with my mouth' before that day.

At Christian camps it was quite common for people to respond to altar calls even if they had done so before, just to be sure of their salvation. Unnecessary said the Calvinists... "once saved always saved" (Romans 8:38), but aged 15 and being told about how hot it is in hell, many of my friends celebrated 'second birthdays' several times a year.

Oh, absolutely. I accepted Jesus so many times because although I was mostly the vision of Christian girlhood on the outside, I was constantly terrified that it hadn't "taken".

Apparently, my fears were realized :D

Guest Anonymous

In my evangelical upbringing, a favorite saying was "God has no grandchildren". Children were required to have their own conversion, even if it happened at a very young age. Many people I grew up with talk about being saved at four or five years old, but they know when it "happened".

Yes! I sometimes think we went to the same church, except that we were on different continents at different times...

It was accepted in my church though that some people had been saved, as evidenced by their continued testimony and the fruit of the Spirit in their lives, but that they were just too young to remember the event. I think that may be partly a cultural thing (some British evangelicals keep that 'joy, joy, joy, joy' VERY deep down in their hearts and so aren't necessarily expected to wake the family to shout out the Good News of their salvation) and partly because it was very educated church elders who had this experience of super-early childhood conversions - anyone lower in the pecking order might have been pressed to walk to the altar, just to be sure. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Oh, absolutely. I accepted Jesus so many times because although I was mostly the vision of Christian girlhood on the outside, I was constantly terrified that it hadn't "taken".

That is the delicious conundrum.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

But, er actually, things past separate you from the love of God, because were obviously NEVER A TRUE CHRISTIAN in the first place..... ;)

Same here. There was always the inner debate with myself over whether my sin was the normal amount that I repent of privately, a moderate amount that I confess to my "accountability partner" and repent, a backsliding amount which requires "re-dedication" of my life, or if I really had no fruit and was the chaf separated from the wheat and needed to go down and get saved........again.....for the first time.

Fundamentalist Christianity is an exercise in fear.

I used to redo the sinner's prayer over and over again, too. I think it's a really common thing for kids to do. My parents and my church often said that it was unnecessary, but a lot of kids did it anyway.

That is the delicious conundrum.

But, er actually, things past separate you from the love of God, because were obviously NEVER A TRUE CHRISTIAN in the first place..... ;)

For AnnieC and other Christians:

Not to go too far O/T, but my husband and I had an interesting conversation at dinner on Saturday night. He has left many of his evangelical views behind and is reading some books on universalism and also a book by Rob Bell. He said that although the True Christian™ has always been so emphasized in our [almost] former faith, along with all of the warnings that other Christians would *know* because of the fruit one bears, the Bible never really mentions a "personal relationship" with Jesus and he is inclined to believe that this is a made-up construct. It seems to me that he is leaning strongly towards universalism, believing that if God's grace is so limited as to not include all of God's human creation, it is rendered useless and consigns the work of Calvary as impotent, at best.

This is HUGE for him.

/off topic

Guest Anonymous

For AnnieC and other Christians

Just to clarify: I am well over the line into the "former Christian" camp. I identify now as a "former" Christian deliberately, because I believe that my conversion was very real, in the sense that I understood and truly believed in my heart, my repentence was sincere and I confessed with my mouth and went on for many years to do so (at my family and friends' great expense ;) ). I think I was a True Christian then in every sense of the word (even though I now think my belief in God were entirely erroneous).

Just to clarify: I am well over the line into the "former Christian" camp. I identify now as a "former" Christian deliberately, because I believe that my conversion was very real, in the sense that I understood and truly believed in my heart, my repentence was sincere and I confessed with my mouth and went on for many years to do so (at my family and friends' great expense ;) ). I think I was a True Christian then in every sense of the word (even though I now think my belief in God were entirely erroneous).

Oh, sorry about that.

In that case, your history sounds a lot like mine.

Again, sorry for the wrong assumption.

I always thought being "born again" meant being overly-emotional and touchy about Jesus; always praising him, acting like a Pollyanna, relying on God to much, crying and moaning when praying and claiming to receive 'spiritual gifts'.

This.

I was born just fine the first time, I am assuming God agrees since S/He made me.

I have heard a Catholic priest explain that Catholics don't need to be "born again" in the "accepting Jesus into your heart" sense because Catholics take communion every Sunday, which they believe is the real body of Christ. So Catholics are "born again" every time they take communion.

Sinner's Prayer: Does it vary by individual or by faith/denomination?

There are no "set" words, but has to contain several components:

1) One admits that they are a worthless sinner, totally without merit in God's eyes, and deserving of eternal punishment, and that no matter how hard they try, they can never live up to God's perfect-ness.

2) In recognizing the above facts, the sinner asks Jesus to "come into my heart" (other variations are "come into my life", "sit on the throne of my heart", etc - you get the idea) and save them from eternal damnation and to begin "a good work" in them

3) Sinner praises Jesus for his goodness and kindness and thanks Him for his sacrifice

4) In Jesus' Name, Amen

Becoming "born again" or "saved" in the evangelical sense requires some form or variation of the above.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, sorry about that.

In that case, your history sounds a lot like mine.

Again, sorry for the wrong assumption.

No worries! I have also been mistaken on here for someone by a similar username who is a Catholic homeschooling mom, so I just tend to differentiate myself when I can. :D

Ha me too! :D I would pray and ask Jesus into my heart, but I never felt any different afterwards. I still had "bad" thoughts. I still couldn't be bothered to read the Bible. I just couldn't get into it. I was afraid I'd still go to Hell, so I'd pray again to be saved.

I never was saved publicly though. I remember in church and Christian camp I was such a good, quiet kid who always knew the answers in Bible study that counselors and teachers always assumed I was saved. I didn't dare tell them otherwise. It's funny how I never really considered such a deception as a sin. No wonder I never felt saved! ;)

Archived