IGNORED

Rebecca!!!!!!!! posted more photos

WonderingInWA

How much do you think those bridemaids dresses cost to make? I don't sew, so I have no idea what that type of material costs or anything.

If the satin is the cheapest polyester "costume" satin, it's normally about $4/yard but frequently goes on sale for a lot less--the last time I bought some for a project (not clothing!) was around Halloween and it was $1.29/yard.

There's also acetate "Baroque" satin that is very shiny, and I suspect that's what they used. It's normally about $6/yard, but frequently goes on sale at up to half-off.

Each dress took no more than 4yds of fabric. They have a lot of volume in the bodice and sleeves, but they're a dead-simple cut--no princess seams or other complex pieces that waste a lot of fabric. The collars are a pearlized polyester sheer, backed with the same satin as the dresses; I don't think they have interfacing in them. Pearlized sheer's about $9/yard on JoAnn's site, but they probably got away with buying only 1/3 yd as it was only needed for the collars.

I've never seen a pattern for dresses like those, so my guess is that they used an '80s vintage pattern, knocked off an existing garment, or else devised a pattern themselves. So other than fabric, they'd have the cost of thread, zippers, a couple of hooks and eyes, and maybe buttons for the sleeves (can't tell if they have them or not).

They could easily have done each dress for less than $20 in materials, if they planned ahead, waited for sales, and used coupons.

And while thrift shopping is good for some things, I can understand why they didn't go that route here, especially if they wanted dresses for the occasion that were the right colors and matched in style. This was a special occasion, after all, and while buying fancy dresses may not have been in the budget (much less available, given their modesty standards), making their own was. And while I'm as avid a thrift-store scavenger as anyone, I can understand wanting something new on a special occasion--especially something as special as this one--rather than somebody else's cast-offs.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I'm assuming they WANTED those specific dresses enough to DIY. Which might horrify me a bit (though I sympathize with the time travel thing) but then again I'm sitting here wearing clothes purchased at Farm'n'Fleet, so... I should probably not speak too loudly.

Back in the 80's I used to buy a teen magazine that had all kinds of amazing (read: horrific by today's standards!!! :D) clothes in it, and it being the 80's in Japan, there were notations on where you could buy the clothing if you were rich and wanted to but ALSO there were patterns for how to make the stuff yourself if you want, in the back.

I really wish I hadn't thrown those things out in a move...

If the satin is the cheapest polyester "costume" satin, it's normally about $4/yard but frequently goes on sale for a lot less--the last time I bought some for a project (not clothing!) was around Halloween and it was $1.29/yard.

There's also acetate "Baroque" satin that is very shiny, and I suspect that's what they used. It's normally about $6/yard, but frequently goes on sale at up to half-off.

Each dress took no more than 4yds of fabric. They have a lot of volume in the bodice and sleeves, but they're a dead-simple cut--no princess seams or other complex pieces that waste a lot of fabric. The collars are a pearlized polyester sheer, backed with the same satin as the dresses; I don't think they have interfacing in them. Pearlized sheer's about $9/yard on JoAnn's site, but they probably got away with buying only 1/3 yd as it was only needed for the collars.

I've never seen a pattern for dresses like those, so my guess is that they used an '80s vintage pattern, knocked off an existing garment, or else devised a pattern themselves. So other than fabric, they'd have the cost of thread, zippers, a couple of hooks and eyes, and maybe buttons for the sleeves (can't tell if they have them or not).

They could easily have done each dress for less than $20 in materials, if they planned ahead, waited for sales, and used coupons.

And while thrift shopping is good for some things, I can understand why they didn't go that route here, especially if they wanted dresses for the occasion that were the right colors and matched in style. This was a special occasion, after all, and while buying fancy dresses may not have been in the budget (much less available, given their modesty standards), making their own was. And while I'm as avid a thrift-store scavenger as anyone, I can understand wanting something new on a special occasion--especially something as special as this one--rather than somebody else's cast-offs.

Well, $20 is probably as cheap as possible if you want a new formal dress so I am glad they didn't spend too much on those dresses. I don't care about new,I only care about quality(or what I think is quality),cheap price and a style I like. I have already begun combing the thrifts for just the "right" thing for my big party.(I don't know exactly what that is,but I know I will find it.)

Thanks Gigi,Goodwill is like therapy to me and I always seem to find exactly what I am looking for no matter how strange. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Well, $20 is probably as cheap as possible if you want a new formal dress so I am glad they didn't spend too much on those dresses. I don't care about new,I only care about quality(or what I think is quality),cheap price and a style I like. I have already begun combing the thrifts for just the "right" thing for my big party.(I don't know exactly what that is,but I know I will find it.)

Thanks Gigi,Goodwill is like therapy to me and I always seem to find exactly what I am looking for no matter how strange. ;)

Yeah, I'd agree with Jezebel's estimate. It looks like Chinese polysatin, which is the cheapest 'fancy' fabric you can get (£1.50 pm here). You can get Japanese satin for roughly double the price £3.40), which is heavier and drapes well, but is still shiny. Then for around £5pm you can get crepe backed satin which is shiny one side and matt the other, and is used a lot for prom dresses.

If you plan ahead, and check out independent reviews very carefully, the made-to-measure prom dresses from China, that are sold on ebay can be a good buy. But you need to check out the wedding forums for recommendations - they can also be horrific in quality if you choose a random rogue seller.

TK Maxx (TJ Maxx over there?) does fab bargain-price prom/wedding style dresses but stocks are quite random - I have a friend who pops in several times a week because it is near her work, and she is always the best dressed at weddings and New Year parties.

For me it's the hair and lack of makeup that really make the look awful. You cannot pull off a big fancy (well, faux-fancy) dress like that without fancy hair and makeup too. Are they not allowed to wear makeup?

For me it's the hair and lack of makeup that really make the look awful. You cannot pull off a big fancy (well, faux-fancy) dress like that without fancy hair and makeup too. Are they not allowed to wear makeup?

Rebecca wrote that they had a hair dresser (or hair stylist?) who came to help them with their hair. She didn't do a great job.

Archived