IGNORED

Rebecca!!!!!!!! posted more photos

WonderingInWA

Guest Anonymous
I have heard of people doing vow renewals because, for whatever reason, they didn't get to have the traditional, big wedding the first time even though that's what they wanted, so they do a vow renewal in order to have that "dream wedding."

But that actually is the mother's wedding dress from the first time round. And since it was a home hair-do, cake and punch type wedding, it can't have been much more extravagant than the first one?

But, whatever, it does seem to have made a lot of people very happy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess we'd all like to think we could still fit into our wedding gowns 20 years later. So I suppose that's an accomplishment on the mom's part. But yeesh -- wow.

Well...that's just a lot of fabric. It's one thing if you've been able to maintain your girlish figure for 20 years, but I wouldn't really be proud of that accomplishment at her size. I think most moms these days are trying to focus on health as an example to their children. I am just going the high road and assuming she has a metabolic reason for still fitting into that dress. Just sayin'.

Well...that's just a lot of fabric. It's one thing if you've been able to maintain your girlish figure for 20 years, but I wouldn't really be proud of that accomplishment at her size. I think most moms these days are trying to focus on health as an example to their children. I am just going the high road and assuming she has a metabolic reason for still fitting into that dress. Just sayin'.

Oh FFS. You haven't gone the high road at all, you've decided that out of everything there is to snark on/not snark on about this, you're going to go with "that lady is fat!!!!!!!111!!!" cloaked in passive-aggressive nonsense about the health of her children (who are, incidently, not fat. Almost like it isn't contagious!)

Feel free to assume anything you like, but don't kid yourself you aren't being hateful about it.

ITA with everyone that said they look happy & loving. And people learn social interactions from the ones closest to them & if they're slightly shy & awkward - it's gonna rub off on the younger generation. My geeky group of friends are all raising their own kids now & one little boy is already a Star Wars fan & can pick out different ships & characters at 18 mos old! (And some poor, misguided people think that's weird ... :wink:). So, IMO, no harm, no foul on that part.

The dresses may have been better with a scoop or sweetheart neckline & definitely loose the Peter pan collars, but it was a great job of homesewing to even begin to work with satin in the first place. That some slippery, make-a-preacher-swear material to sew on, let me tell ya!

And I love that one pic of Rebecca where she's holding her bouquet and looking away from the camera. It's thoughtful-looking without appearing sad or forced. Great job, whoever took that one!

Oh FFS. You haven't gone the high road at all, you've decided that out of everything there is to snark on/not snark on about this, you're going to go with "that lady is fat!!!!!!!111!!!" cloaked in passive-aggressive nonsense about the health of her children (who are, incidently, not fat. Almost like it isn't contagious!)

Feel free to assume anything you like, but don't kid yourself you aren't being hateful about it.

High horse, high road, careful you could develop Vertigo.

I too wondered about that. A lot of ladies get heavier after a lot of pregnancies and menopaus, but she must have been overweight even as a young bride. I wonder if she could have a hormonal imbalance.

Her appearance is very similar to one of my aunt's before she was diagnosed with hypotyreosis. After she got treatment, she lost a lot of weight, looked healthier overall and got her thick hair back.

I don't know this particular fundie family, but I suspect that they think that non emergency doctor visits are a luxury so she will never find out if she has the condition or not.

And they went to some restaurant afterward and the mom wore her gown and veil -- yikes.

In the background of that picture someone who looks normal is taking a picture with a cellphone.

I know many couples renew their vows, but at 20 years? And recreating an actual wedding? Other than the Duggars I've never known anyone to do that. Is it a fundie thing.

My 20th anniversary is this coming summer and we are doing something fabulous. Of course I have not planned "the fabulous" yet,but it will be a wedding type party involving an awesome dress. (The daughter and I have not chosen anything yet,and we do not sew.) My wedding dress was ok, but not exactly my "dream dress" or anything.(It was 1992, need I say more about "the styles" of that time? :dance: ) Same with the reception,inlaws forcing us to invite everyone in the world. Not happening this time, I want a "do over" ,that is why I am planning something for our 20th.

Guest Anonymous

My 20th anniversary is this coming summer and we are doing something fabulous. Of course I have not planned "the fabulous" yet,but it will be a wedding type party involving an awesome dress. (The daughter and I have not chosen anything yet,and we do not sew.) My wedding dress was ok, but not exactly my "dream dress" or anything.(It was 1992, need I say more about "the styles" of that time? :dance: ) Same with the reception,inlaws forcing us to invite everyone in the world. Not happening this time, I want a "do over" ,that is why I am planning something for our 20th.

I think you should treat us to a photo of your 90s dress! :P

I think you should treat us to a photo of your 90s dress! :P

I have!! In that old thread in chatter when we were posting wedding pics. I don't know if I deleted since then or not...

Fat doesn't equal unhealthy, but I have no idea why anyone would want to wear that dress even once. It is vile and so are the other shiny dresses. They also look like the most flammable things known to woman. My inner arsonist was saying "A bit closer to a candle...oh, go on..." ;)

Guest Anonymous

I think that the Kellums' first marriage to each other was at least their second marriage each - so they may have already been 'reclaiming' an experience they had missed out on, first time round. Which might explain how the dress that looks very much out of fashion now, would have already been dated in the 90s and was probably fashionable at whatever age Mrs K feels that she 'should' have had her princess moment.

From the last photo (of the original wedding day) it looks as though Mrs K has gained weight since the first time round, and as it is a structured garment it means the fabric is strangling her waist and pulling up under her boobs a bit now. I think her weight is entirely unsnarkable, but from a dressmaking point of view, she could have been been more comfortable if someone had helped add some panels into the side of the dress. Tight satin is ouchy to sit in all day.

But, meh, I know about that "tight under the bust" feeling more from being someone whose weight fluctuates randomly, than from being an expert dressmaker ;)

Good spot on the restaurant picture-taker, Tree Mom. Someone must have a nice Fundie Foto Album building up. :)

news flash - overweight women have people fall in love with them and marry them! Who knew? :roll: Good for her if she felt pretty in her wedding gown from 1989.

I just can't let myself look down on these people - probably because I know the Maxwells do and I don't want to do anything they do.

Guest Anonymous

As a family, I think they have a lot of warmth and love in their lives that the Maxwells wouldn't know if it smacked them on the nose.

After reading excerpts from Gerry Kellum's book though, I do judge him for having not only drunk the Kool Aid himself but having imposed an impossible lifestyle on his daughters. Poor Rebecca's outlook is not great. She may be having more fun on a daily basis than your average Maxwell girl, but she is not equipped to do much in the future other than work as a part-time cleaner in her dad's business and wait for a suitable man to come along and marry her.

Free Rebecca!

So I guess doing the math, Gerry is the father to Rebecca and Anna, right? I guess I thought Mary (the mom) brought the girls into that marriage but if they've been married 20 years, that's not the case. The book excerpt says he's got 5 kids, so I'm not sure who the other 3 are. Maybe they are in the photos Rebecca posts?

And I agree -- I don't think that poor girl has many skills other than helping in his janitorial business or decorating cakes. She's not very marketable in the fundie community. Both she and her sister look really depressed to me -- forced smiles -- but I could be reading far too much into that.

news flash - overweight women have people fall in love with them and marry them! Who knew? :roll: Good for her if she felt pretty in her wedding gown from 1989.

I just can't let myself look down on these people - probably because I know the Maxwells do and I don't want to do anything they do.

Well, you have to go for a crap and so do they ;)

I know what you mean about laughing at the mum for being fat. That is horrible. However the dresses are also horrible. I like setting fire to stuff (as who does not?) and I imagined mum and bridesmaids in beautiful, flattering gowns having fun while I had free reign with a lighter and the shiny monstrosities. They really are grim, and as a general rule, if you can see your face in your wedding dress, it was probably a bad pick.

Well, you have to go for a crap and so do they ;)

I know what you mean about laughing at the mum for being fat. That is horrible. However the dresses are also horrible. I like setting fire to stuff (as who does not?) and I imagined mum and bridesmaids in beautiful, flattering gowns having fun while I had free reign with a lighter and the shiny monstrosities. They really are grim, and as a general rule, if you can see your face in your wedding dress, it was probably a bad pick.

Agreed :lol:

As a family, I think they have a lot of warmth and love in their lives that the Maxwells wouldn't know if it smacked them on the nose.

After reading excerpts from Gerry Kellum's book though, I do judge him for having not only drunk the Kool Aid himself but having imposed an impossible lifestyle on his daughters. Poor Rebecca's outlook is not great. She may be having more fun on a daily basis than your average Maxwell girl, but she is not equipped to do much in the future other than work as a part-time cleaner in her dad's business and wait for a suitable man to come along and marry her.

Free Rebecca!

I don't think she has the lifeskills to be free. At least the Duggar girls have seen something of the world, but Rebecca is so sheltered, so naive and has so few lifeskills that she would sink if she were 'freed'.

Yeah, there's a difference between snarking on fundies for their oppressive belief system vs. snarking on a fundie family for being poor or unfashionable.

Yeah, there's a difference between snarking on fundies for their oppressive belief system vs. snarking on a fundie family for being poor or unfashionable.

How much do you think those bridemaids dresses cost to make? I don't sew, so I have no idea what that type of material costs or anything. I am asking because I got a kickass bridesmaid dress at Goodwill for $5 I wore for x-mas eve.(don't ask). Yes it was strapless,but I wore a shrug with it so modest enough. I always see matching bridesmaid dresses and many with sleeves for $5 at Goodwill.They could still be fashionable and get cheaper dresses at Goodwill if they looked. My $5 prom/bridemaid dress

http://empressofgoodwill.blogspot.com/2 ... party.html

+1

Transparent "health" concerns tacked on after the fact don't do much to hide your actual contempt for the fact that she's fat.

Looks like she did actually "maintain her figure" for 20 years. She could be much, much bigger by now but she isn't.

But nevermind, you should only feel good about yourself, be proud, and be loved if you are thin. Gotcha.

How much do you think those bridemaids dresses cost to make? I don't sew, so I have no idea what that type of material costs or anything. I am asking because I got a kickass bridesmaid dress at Goodwill for $5 I wore for x-mas eve.(don't ask). Yes it was strapless,but I wore a shrug with it so modest enough. I always see matching bridesmaid dresses and many with sleeves for $5 at Goodwill.They could still be fashionable and get cheaper dresses at Goodwill if they looked. My $5 prom/bridemaid dress

http://empressofgoodwill.blogspot.com/2 ... party.html

Clibbyjo = person I'd most like to go shopping at Goodwill with!

Archived