IGNORED

Abortion Rates Higher In 'Pro-Life' Countries

AtroposHeart

I saw the research about this in the newspaper yesterday. It was pretty much suspected to be the case anyway. In countries with liberal abortion rights and contraception, abortion rates are lower and safer.

Right at the side of the article was another one about some fuckwit conservative MP over here in the UK. She is trying to pass through a 10 minute parliamentary motion (a bit like those tag along bills in the USA) for abstinence only education for girls here in the UK. It wont happen thankfully. Most of our MP's know it's a non-starter, even our conservative ones. She is also the MP who is calling for an end to abortion here in the UK. I am hoping that at the next general election she will be kicked out. Unfortunately she is an MP in a very safe conservative seat. The tories there will still vote for her even though she is fuckwit.

I saw the research about this in the newspaper yesterday. It was pretty much suspected to be the case anyway. In countries with liberal abortion rights and contraception, abortion rates are lower and safer.

Right at the side of the article was another one about some fuckwit conservative MP over here in the UK. She is trying to pass through a 10 minute parliamentary motion (a bit like those tag along bills in the USA) for abstinence only education for girls here in the UK. It wont happen thankfully. Most of our MP's know it's a non-starter, even our conservative ones. She is also the MP who is calling for an end to abortion here in the UK. I am hoping that at the next general election she will be kicked out. Unfortunately she is an MP in a very safe conservative seat. The tories there will still vote for her even though she is fuckwit.

Ann Widdecombe or her doppel-gänger??

Nadine Dorries.

She's a real piece of work.

Nadine Dorries.

She's a real piece of work.

Yes, I know, she is called "Mad Nad" isn't she??

People like her pop up in every democratically elected adminstration, we have a few like that, but thank god they are always a minority.

Aye, I've heard about her recently. Between her and the anti-gay-marriage brigade the Tories aren't even trying to pretend they're decent humans any more. David Cameron must be raging, he's so good at the pretending himself.

It makes sense to me because places with a lot of abortion rights also tend to favor contraception, educating youth, a healthy attitude about making the right sex choices, and better social welfare (so even when unexpected pregnancies happen, it's easier to decide to raise the baby).

However, I suspect that the "pro-life" people understand this on some level and are actually glad about this outcome. I don't believe for a second that most of them just really really care about all those cute little cuddly fetuses. What they really want is to make sure that women who have unapproved sex get punished for it. So if that means an unsafe, illegal abortion or even the higher social shame of having an abortion, then they can at least feel satisfied that she didn't "get away with" having sex.

This makes total sense. If places are going to teach abstinence only they're going to have a lot of unwanted pregnancies. "pro life" countries will just make abortions less safe which will result in more dead women. For places that are so against abortion, they aren't doing any of the things that will legitamately reduce the numbers of abortions

The ConDems really are a parcel of utter bastards. Cameron went after Dorries with a sexual double entendre when she spoke, and while I loathe and despise her, that's a really shitty thing to do to a woman and a member of your own party. He is scum.

Fucking with our jobs, pay and pensions while coming up with outlandishly stupid ideas like sending Bibles to every school and buying the Queen a new yacht. Blaming the disabled and unemployed for not having jobs while conveniently ignoring the fact there are no jobs, and if you are disabled there's even less likelihood you are top of the employer's list. Millionaires accusing the "feckless poor" of everything while they hang around with their banker mates and conspire to make the rich even richer.

When Scotland is independent, we will have none of this nonsense and we will (this bit might take some time ;)) have a system of workers' councils instead. And we will welcome the Welsh, English, Irish and anyone else who likes to come and join us.

I'm not surprised at all. I'd also heard that legalizing abortion actually brings the abortion rates down. But in my experience pro-lifers believe (or pretend to believe) that no woman would ever attempt to get an illegal abortion, and they're totally oblivious to the existence of doctors without scruples, "angel makers", and wire coat hangers.

It makes sense to me because places with a lot of abortion rights also tend to favor contraception, educating youth, a healthy attitude about making the right sex choices, and better social welfare (so even when unexpected pregnancies happen, it's easier to decide to raise the baby).

However, I suspect that the "pro-life" people understand this on some level and are actually glad about this outcome. I don't believe for a second that most of them just really really care about all those cute little cuddly fetuses. What they really want is to make sure that women who have unapproved sex get punished for it. So if that means an unsafe, illegal abortion or even the higher social shame of having an abortion, then they can at least feel satisfied that she didn't "get away with" having sex.

Bingo. Because it all adds up to "It's so much nicer thinking about cute cuddly innocent babies than a bunch of slutty women out having sex just because they want to." :/

Yes, I know, she is called "Mad Nad" isn't she??

People like her pop up in every democratically elected adminstration, we have a few like that, but thank god they are always a minority.

Yes, that's her. There's a few like her in the conservatives. They are also trying to put a stop to gay civil marriage. We already have civil partnerships but there's a bill going through parliament at the moment that will allow same sex couples to have actual civil marriages. Around 100 back bench conservative MPs are planning on rebelling and voting against Cameron (who wants it).

I think it is surprising (or maybe not) that if you dig deep enough, how many conservatives have links, both personal and business, with fundamentalist right wingers in the US. Of course stuff like that isn't broadcasted about, but if you care to look the links are there.

The ConDems really are a parcel of utter bastards. Cameron went after Dorries with a sexual double entendre when she spoke, and while I loathe and despise her, that's a really shitty thing to do to a woman and a member of your own party. He is scum.

Fucking with our jobs, pay and pensions while coming up with outlandishly stupid ideas like sending Bibles to every school and buying the Queen a new yacht. Blaming the disabled and unemployed for not having jobs while conveniently ignoring the fact there are no jobs, and if you are disabled there's even less likelihood you are top of the employer's list. Millionaires accusing the "feckless poor" of everything while they hang around with their banker mates and conspire to make the rich even richer.

When Scotland is independent, we will have none of this nonsense and we will (this bit might take some time ;)) have a system of workers' councils instead. And we will welcome the Welsh, English, Irish and anyone else who likes to come and join us.

Hey when Scotland is independent I shall be moving slightly up country and joining you! The north is fucked under this government.

Archived