IGNORED

Nathan & Melanie wedding photos/report:

Justme

Boeing did have offices in Kansas City. I think they were all sold off in 2005ish? to a company called Spirit, so Steve could have continued on with his engineer job (or a very similar job) if he wanted.

I figured out why it's so important to note that Melanie is eating yogurt. It's because yogurt is used to treat infections...you know...(whispering).....down there. We've all talked about how absolutely strange and horrifying it's got to be to go from no contact to sex in one night.

Remember those sex books that Jim Bob was giving Josh before his wedding? There's a chapter in there we didn't get to see on the TV show. When a bride is wandering around eating yogurt, it's a sign for the groom that the bride isn't....(whispering)....feeling well down there. This gives the bride time to make the adjustment from no contact to sex on her own time. Anytime she thinks things are getting a little too frisky and out-of-control, she just looks at her watch and yelps, "time for my yogurt!"

Seriously? Okay, I've been sexually active for (holy crap!) 30 years, and I've never heard this "eating yogurt" bit. Hmmmm. You learn something new every day.

And I worked for BA for 10 years but left in 2003 so I guess I do remember a division in KC, but I never knew what they did there (I worked for Company Offices until they moved to Chicago in whenever-that-was -- 2002?). Hm, maybe that's why they ended up there and then he just got outsourced or laid off?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a couple of long threads about how Steve was "brought home" by the Lord. I'll try and find them for you.

Thanks for linking the thread, I'm quite enjoying reading it again, particularly in light of 6 more months of the crazy that's happened since then.

Let’s assume we are all moral giants and totally impervious to physical temptations, (I know it’s impossible, but for the sake of my example). In 1 Thessalonians 5:22 we are instructed to abstain from even the appearance of evil. I told the saleswoman I couldn’t go as I’m determined not to go to lunch with other women. Before I could continue, she laughed and said she wouldn’t bite and could even bring a male sales engineer along. I explained that with all that aside, what if someone who knew Teri and me saw us together? What might they think? She said, "Wow, do you really mean that?" I said I did and she said she now understood and that was great.

Just reading this again I'm now imagining the reaction of the woman he's writing about. Remember, this is a saleswoman from another company, a CLIENT, whom he's been asked to go to lunch with by his own superiors.

Steve is all reassured and thinks things are okay and normal here, but I can just imagine the "WTF...????" going on in that client's head, and some laughter at Steve's expense happening later - if not a direct complaint to someone (the client probably isn't of a standing to do it, but if someone at Steve's own company overheard that refusal, well... yeah).

Just VERY lolwut.

To bring it back slightly to the topic of marriage though and Sarah's situation (maybe belongs in the birthday thread, but...) in other writings in those old Corners linked in that thread about coming home, Steve writes that he was annoyed at his job giving him a CHOICE in quitting/getting laid off or maybe working things out with another gig (maybe he could work in the back office - he didn't specify). He was upset because he didn't want to have to make a CHOICE - he wanted God to make it obvious, so he would have no responsibility. (He finally did a bunch more praying and actually decided, but he didn't like it.)

That's exactly what he says about husband-hunting for Sarah, too - he doesn't want to take ANY positive action toward marrying Sarah, because if he does, and it doesn't work out, he'd have to worry endlessly over if he had any responsibility for the failure. So he sits back and hides in his usual wishful thinking, doing nothing but praying about it.

Melanie and Nathan met at church. Steve was involved in bringing his family to that church of course, but other than that, seems the meeting maybe happened organically. So by his view, it was all God, and so... no responsibility.

Seriously? Okay, I've been sexually active for (holy crap!) 30 years, and I've never heard this "eating yogurt" bit. Hmmmm. You learn something new every day.

Its the acidopholus(sp?) bacteria in the yogurt. It helps restore natural bacterial flora in the GI and vagina tracts in order to prevent yeast infections. That's why you are supposed to eat yogurt if you take antibiotics. Or for me, since I have texture aversions to yogurt-like foods, I just take a probiotic pill instead.

I love how Nathan carried Melanie from the church.

See, I thought the carrying thing sounded creepy. What is the point of carrying adult people around unless they are injured. There seems something medieval and possessive about picking up a wife.

My husband has never carried me anywhere, granted, I am taller and "bigger boned" than him. :lol: He definitely did no picking me up on the day of our wedding. I was knocked up at the time and I don't know if he could have handled my increased mass.

Doesn't it symbolize being carried over the threshold? I was not carried either when I got married, nor when we walked through the door of our home (where we'd been living in sin for 5 months prior to the wedding, anyway). But I have seen it in these fundie wedding photos over and over.

I think it was just another great excuse to touch his new bride. They looked really happy. As long as both parties are a -ok I figure it's their wedding.

I remember watching the video of Christopher and NR-Anna's wedding online, and I'm pretty sure he did carry her out of the church. Just goes to show that frivolity is only okay when approved by Stevie!

Yes, they did. I thought it strange that, if they never touched, they managed to pull that off without any hitch to the choreography of the lift.

• 5 years later...

*dying* Lololol:

"As vocalist, Tim Cahill sang, "We Believe" (a beautiful song filled with New Testament doctrinal beliefs) to a pipe organ accompaniment"

new testament doctrinal wedding song :lol:. And an introduction announcing no divorce. Creepy unnecessary carrying of an adult woman (ok, my boyfriend picks me up, but it is usually for f*n reasons). No extra f*n at this shindig, despite the yogurt kisses and pulp free punch.

4 hours ago, sleepy_doggos said:

*dying* Lololol:

"As vocalist, Tim Cahill sang, "We Believe" (a beautiful song filled with New Testament doctrinal beliefs) to a pipe organ accompaniment"

new testament doctrinal wedding song :lol:. And an introduction announcing no divorce. Creepy unnecessary carrying of an adult woman (ok, my boyfriend picks me up, but it is usually for f*n reasons). No extra f*n at this shindig, despite the yogurt kisses and pulp free punch.

I'm hoping some guests sneaked in flasks full of alcohol.  I can't imagine a wedding that needed some booze more than that  wedding.  No toasts, no music, no dancing.  Just nuts, mints, speeches and blessings.  I'm almost falling asleep thinking about it.

On 1/22/2012 at 12:10 PM, genericJname said:

Or for me, since I have texture aversions to yogurt-like foods, I just take a probiotic pill instead.

I can only recommend Brown Cow Cream on Top Chocolate Yogurt.  As noted, the cream is on top, the chocolate is on the bottom, you stir it up and SWEET JESUS TAKE ME HOME.  It's so good. But then it's kind of like pudding, so maybe the combination of chocolate and fat in the cream doesn't overcome the texture issues. 

I can't keep it in the house.  I just buy one tiny container and eat it on the food patio at the grocery store before I head home. 

On 1/20/2012 at 7:42 PM, Justme said:

Thought I'd start a new thread.

http://web.archive.org/web/200206031508 ... index.html

Thank you waybackmachine.org! :clap:

They were married Jan 2002.

It was interesting looking at the pictures.  

1.  Melanie looks so happy.  Her dress is very pretty.    

2.  These are the best pictures I have ever seen taken of Nathan.    

3.  The write up about the wedding is weird.  'We cried and cried."  I understand Teri (her role has mom changed) but the siblings?  Freaking day they are living across the street.  

4.  This blog entry sets the platform on how bizarre the Maxwell family dynamic is.  

11 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

It was interesting looking at the pictures.  

1.  Melanie looks so happy.  Her dress is very pretty.    

2.  These are the best pictures I have ever seen taken of Nathan.    

3.  The write up about the wedding is weird.  'We cried and cried."  I understand Teri (her role has mom changed) but the siblings?  Freaking day they are living across the street.  

4.  This blog entry sets the platform on how bizarre the Maxwell family dynamic is.  

Seriously, like, was it really necessary to report about the oil change and refrigerator move the morning of the wedding? About how everyone was seated by exactly 2 pm, that the bride dropped a Kleenex that  was retrieved by "Pastor," or that the community center had a fountain but they couldn't use it because it required pulp-less punch? So bizarre.

2 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

Seriously, like, was it really necessary to report about the oil change and refrigerator move the morning of the wedding? About how everyone was seated by exactly 2 pm, that the bride dropped a Kleenex that  was retrieved by "Pastor," or that the community center had a fountain but they couldn't use it because it required pulp-less punch? So bizarre.

Typical Maxwell literary efforts, I'm sad to say.   I've read more engrossing words on a cereal box.

I ended up reading out the wedding description and guest reviews to my husband. Not sure why that made it funnier, but it did. Those guest reviews should have star ratings:

"The bride and groom dismissing us by rows was great. 3.5 stars."

"I can't believe it was really their first kiss. 1 star."

(The only way I could read that comment was sarcastically - who says that?!)

"The weather is unbelievable! 5 stars!!"

(Guess we know who brought their own booze then...)

They all look so damn young. I know I know it was 15 years ago but damn. They’ve all really changed. 

"After eating Steve had a time of blessing Nathan and Melanie in lieu of toasts."

I have visions of Steve offering himself as a naked sushi model, with peppermints and animal crackers placed in intimate places, or perhaps a home-made burrito for "little Stevie".

6 minutes ago, Darwinesque said:

"After eating Steve had a time of blessing Nathan and Melanie in lieu of toasts."

I have visions of Steve offering himself as a naked sushi model, with peppermints and animal crackers placed in intimate places, or perhaps a home-made burrito for "little Stevie".

I guess the schedule said it was time for Teri to perform the dirty deed for Steve.   And, we were all wondering why she was missing from a few pictures - I guess she was under the table!  

image.png.434c9d9c186fe4e9d9eaee0b6b2afc73.png 

On 1/22/2012 at 2:29 AM, WonderingInWA said:

I'm not sure if eating yogurt does anything for <whispers> trouble down there. I was always told to squirt it up my cooch.

I told the saleswoman I couldn't go as I'm determined not to go to lunch with other women. Before I could continue, she laughed and said she wouldn't bite and could even bring a male sales engineer along. I explained that with all that aside, what if someone who knew Teri and me saw us together? What might they think? She said, "Wow, do you really mean that?" I said I did and she said she now understood and that was great.

I guess Steve doesn't get sarcasm ("That's great. Just great/", or the fury of a woman who can't do her job because of this sexist jerk.

Was there ever an explanation for Melanie's many years of infertility? She's had so many kids back to back since then, I just always wonder what was going on. 

On 2.11.2017 at 6:44 AM, mango_fandango said:

They all look so damn young. I know I know it was 15 years ago but damn. They’ve all really changed. 

They look young and I bet that Sarah was thinking "this is going to be me someday". Poor thing. Her life hasn't changed a bit since then and it probably never will.

6 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Was there ever an explanation for Melanie's many years of infertility? She's had so many kids back to back since then, I just always wonder what was going on. 

My personal theory? They didn't figure out how to have intercourse. Oversheltering + homefooling with no sex ed whatsoever + no regular medical care that we know of + a big sense of shame around sexual matters, preventing them from even looking it up on the internet + complete and utter inexperience on both sides.

That, or the complete opposite - that they're weren't actually clueless idiots and got some condoms to enjoy their first years together in peace. Nathan was a brother-mom to his reversal siblings, and Melanie is one of the eldest of her siblings - they could well have decided that little ones are delightful but they were going to take a short break between raising other people's kids and raising their own.

On 1/11/2017 at 12:12 PM, kpmom said:

I'm hoping some guests sneaked in flasks full of alcohol.  I can't imagine a wedding that needed some booze more than that  wedding.  No toasts, no music, no dancing.  Just nuts, mints, speeches and blessings.  I'm almost falling asleep thinking about it.

I can understand an alcohol-free celebration. It sounds a bit weird to me, because I live in a vineyard land, but I'm sure some alcohol-free cultures throw great weddings with music and feast and actually FUN, like Moroccans.

Those fundies have just choosen the worst of any culture. The dull, bland, passive-agressive side of life.

6 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

They probably used medical help. I know some couples who needed surgery to become fertile (some of them for the men -varicocele is fairly common-, others for the women): sometimes just one simple surgical operation and infertility dissapears. Of course I'm just supposing, but getting easily pregnant 6 times after several years of infertility makes me think about surgery.

Their baby's death is the saddest thing I've read on their blog and despite I dislike their beliefs, I'm so sorry for them.

As far as Melanie's fertility: I was told in my early 20's that I was infertile. I was married and had unprotected sex for 8 years with nothing happening. All of a sudden, I got pregnant and miscarried. Then got pregnant 3 more times back to back like a very fertile person. I am now due next month with that 4th pregnancy and I never had infertility help. Strange things do happen. 

On 11/3/2017 at 4:51 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I can understand an alcohol-free celebration. It sounds a bit weird to me, because I live in a vineyard land, but I'm sure some alcohol-free cultures throw great weddings with music and feast and actually FUN, like Moroccans.

Those fundies have just choosen the worst of any culture. The dull, bland, passive-agressive side of life.

My daughter had an alcohol free reception for a few reasons. One reason was that the venue she'd wanted since the age of 14 happened to be owned by a church and was alcohol free. It is an absolutely beautiful reception hall and is hard to book. When it was available on her date, we grabbed it. We did have a DJ and dancing and everybody had a fantastic time. There were a few people who said "You do know nobody will dance without alcohol, right?" I was so tempted to send them photos of the reception because people danced until the very last minute. It was a great evening but we believe in fun and there was no talk of death all day. 

I will say that a few people did sneak in alcohol and I was really mad, mainly because had they been caught by the venue staff we would have been breaking our contract and the venue had the right to shut down the reception. I still kind of panic when I think of how that would have broken my daughter's heart to have her reception shut down. 

Archived