IGNORED

satin's so bright, i gotta wear shades

contrary

Every time I see pictures of these people I cringe. And then I feel bad for doing so. But srsly, the hairdos are the kind of thing I do to my 9 yo on a typical school day, and the dresses were a poor choice in every way: the fabric, the cut, the age of the wearers.

They seem happy, though, and the wedding looks like a very emotional ceremony for two people who clearly love each other.

The only fashion comment I am going to make is: why does the one young boy (I guess a younger brother of the blogger) have brass buttons on his jacket, whilst the others have jackets that look more tux-y?

My grandmother, who grew up on a farm in the Midwest, used the word "simple" to describe folks like this (and she didn't use it as an insult). It meant somebody who wasn't all that bright, who didn't have much of an education, and who was very naive and unworldly because they hadn't been exposed to much beyond their family and local community. They got jobs and fell in love and had kids and raised families and did a pretty decent job of those things, and were generally considered good, solid people. But they approached everything from a very narrow worldview and set of experiences, and had no use for new ideas or ways of doing things unless it had an immediate practical benefit.

So I look at this family, and "simple" is the word that comes to my mind. And I can't snark on them because they aren't trying to be anything they're not. Do I think the bridesmaids' dresses are gross and tacky and made of horrid fabric, and the mother's wedding dress is unflattering? Sure. But in their world, within their experience, these things are beautiful. They're obviously happy to be wearing them. And since it's a family celebration, not a heavy public statement to all of Christendom about the true meaning and purpose of marriage (a la Botkins), I can't really pick on these simple people for having simple tastes. They look happy, and that makes me happy for them, even though I wouldn't want that life for myself.

:clap: :clap: :clap: , Jezebel!!! Exactly what I was thinking--even while wishing I could take the blogger (Hannah?) and her mom out to the mall for a mini-makeover. (As a fellow plus-sized chick with baby-fine hair and pasty skin, I've had to learn some appearance-improving survival skillz.)

Yes, there were some bad wedding dresses in the '80s, but the one I wore for wedding #2, in 1985, wasn't horrible bad, I don't think. It had a similar cut to Duchess Fergie's, but with less elaborate sleeves and less ornamentation, and was made of pale ivory matte satin; I wore a coordinating little hat thing without a veil.

Dear God, they all went out to a RESTAURANT dressed like that?

(I have to add, though, that there is something about this particular set of photos that makes me crazy happy every time I see them. I'm not sure why that is.)

Holy cow!!! Those are dresses from the 80's come back from the dead to haunt again!!!

:shock: :o :?

Some of those floral flower girl dresses are exactly what I wore as Easter dresses when I was a kid in the 80s. I hated those so much. As far as I know, they're all still in an attic or basement somewhere, otherwise I would think they were exact same dresses. I guess this is what happens when you have to buy the cheapest of cheap from second-hand stores or wear hand-me-downs from generations ago. They like to pretend it's a "timeless" look, but it's really just very dated.

My grandmother, who grew up on a farm in the Midwest, used the word "simple" to describe folks like this (and she didn't use it as an insult). It meant somebody who wasn't all that bright, who didn't have much of an education, and who was very naive and unworldly because they hadn't been exposed to much beyond their family and local community. They got jobs and fell in love and had kids and raised families and did a pretty decent job of those things, and were generally considered good, solid people. But they approached everything from a very narrow worldview and set of experiences, and had no use for new ideas or ways of doing things unless it had an immediate practical benefit.

So I look at this family, and "simple" is the word that comes to my mind. And I can't snark on them because they aren't trying to be anything they're not. Do I think the bridesmaids' dresses are gross and tacky and made of horrid fabric, and the mother's wedding dress is unflattering? Sure. But in their world, within their experience, these things are beautiful. They're obviously happy to be wearing them. And since it's a family celebration, not a heavy public statement to all of Christendom about the true meaning and purpose of marriage (a la Botkins), I can't really pick on these simple people for having simple tastes. They look happy, and that makes me happy for them, even though I wouldn't want that life for myself.

Yes, well said. Simple is more appropriate than "dumb" because it seems that they aren't willfully ignorant. Just blissfully ignorant! :)

Archived