IGNORED

Duggars and Blanket Training

Daenerys

I read that they only discovered this 'wonderful' tool when they had Jed&Jer... so that means none of the older children were put through this particular form of torture.

Then I realised that it's from the twins on down that we start referring to the children as 'howler monkeys'... I'm childless and don't know much about toddler's development, so is it likely that Blanket Training is a big part of why they are so raucous? Could it be that because they were denied stimulation they go crazy when they do have it, and consequently haven't learned the appropriate level of impulse control? Or is it merely poor parenting in general that has caused their behaviour?

Well, the younger kids born post-tv likely haven't had it, or had nearly as much since someone's always filming.

I'm thinking the howlers have so much energy because they aren't given the attention and proper outlets for it, so it just surges out at inopportune times. They're neglected kids. Its really sad.

The very idea of blanket training babies/toddlers truly makes me ill. I certainly hope that it isn't going on now that all of children are past age 2. I have a feeling if Michelle is around, she likes to be the one who doles out the discipline. The one form of discipline I've seen on the show that I agreed with is once when she sent Jackson to the sofa to sit down and look at a book. If the older ones weren't blanket trained, they probably were disciplined much more harshly than the younger ones.

Well, the younger kids born post-tv likely haven't had it, or had nearly as much since someone's always filming.

I'm thinking the howlers have so much energy because they aren't given the attention and proper outlets for it, so it just surges out at inopportune times. They're neglected kids. Its really sad.

I agree with this post. It's not the blanket training that makes them howlers it's the lack of attention.

I think the howlers are so rambunctious simply because less is expected of them. They're boys, so the parents aren't as strict with them. It's not that boys are inherently more active, only that their parents aren't as concerned about teaching them to be better behaved. It's only the girls that have to learn how to be completely submissive. I also think burnout is a factor. After several kids, the parents just stopped caring.

I think it's pretty common for younger kids in a family to get away with being more wild - no matter what the parenting philosophy is. That is probably compounded greatly when you have a gigantic family.

I think it comes partly from being more worn down/out and distracted - but also from realizing that the little stuff you worry about with your first kid doesn't matter so much in the long run.

I never read or heard them talking about blanket training. I just heard it from others, but I have no reasons to assume it's false. (Furthermore, I wonder what other lovely methids they have?)

But I have to tell you ever since that, if I see a baby sit atop a blanket, I think of blanket training and if I think for too long I shudder.

I can imagine Jill's or Michelle's frozen smile while doing that. It can cause serious damage in a child. I'd been a betwetter if it was me, seriously.

Archived