IGNORED

Text a question to Jesus, get a sandwich

LucySnowe

At a university I'm affiliated with here in Scotland, I picked up a small flyer which promotes the Christian group's every-other-week student event this semester: text a toastie!

Which isn't a terribly accurate description because you are not actually texting the toastie (and it can't text back, having no fingers), but basically, you send them a text with a) your address, b) 'a question you would ask Jesus if you could' [footnote 1] and c) what kind of free toastie [grilled cheese, basically, though you can also have ham or chocolate] [footnote 2] you want. They will deliver a sandwich to you in the general university area between 8-10pm, along with an answer to your question.

'Volunteers will discuss the questions first then go out in pairs to bless people with toasties and, if people are up for it, to get chatting about the questions, Jesus and his amazing message.'

Is this the modern version of Rice Christians?

I think my question will be: What flavour of toastie would Jesus prefer?

I will try this next week, if I can. I am always up for a freshly cooked toastie delivered to my door.

---

footnote 1: I thought the whole point was that you can ask Jesus anything you want and talk to him all the time, without the need for the intervention of ham?

footnote 2: Chocolate. In a grilled sandwich. Every time I think I have this country figured out....

Would Jesus approve of Ham toasties, he was raised Jewish right? lol!

But seriously this is just weird... They are probably just going to get lot of stoners looking for free toasties!

Or poor Uni students looking for a free feed. I'm not sure I would trust getting food from strangers though...

Which isn't a terribly accurate description because you are not actually texting the toastie

:lol: :lol: I have no insight on Jesus' sandwiches to impart (except to say that obviously Jesus did not eat bread smeared with things, he ate white bread sandwiches, just like he wore pants!), but I wanted you to know this, uh, encouraged my... purposed countenance...

They are probably just going to get lot of stoners looking for free toasties!
Ah, unless I am mistaken, this is sometimes a prefered approach. If you get them while they're stoned, they're gullible. Even if it doesn't stick, you might get them saved, and that still counts...

The Jesus Toaster just got a big thumbs up in the office!

They will deliver directly to the university library, too (though you have to meet them outside, of course).

you have been fobbed off at my uni you get a free hot drink ( tea, coffee or hot chocolate) as well a toastie! does your CU also do the thing where they give out free water and flipflops at the end of nights out? very helpful

Guest Anonymous

http://www.eucu.org.uk/page.php?page=112

The idea is that people text in their address, a question about Jesus and a flavour of toastie they would like. We then deliver it with an answer.

*snip*

Volunteers will discuss the questions first then go out in pairs to bless people with toasties and, if people are up for it, to get chatting about the questions, Jesus and his amazing message.

From the past few times we have done text a toastie, we have found so many people being open for conversations, made easier by the fact that they inviting us to talk to them.

In terms of follow up, if people are interested we will have gospels, church Alpha courses, and small groups to link them up with, and opportunities to meet up with people one on one. Also, because we’ll be doing it on a regular basis, we may well see the same people a few times.

No such thing as a free toastie.... :mrgreen:

Lissar, I wish I knew! Maybe that's what I should ask Jesus.

I suspect that it's done in a toastie maker, so that the edges are all nicely fused and the heated chocolate isn't entirely spilling out down your arm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster

And I also suspect they use Nutella, which is a chocolate spread and thus much easier to make a sandwich with.

I need to know more about these chocolate sandwiches. Is it just like a grilled cheese, but with a chocolate bar instead?

Yah, pretty much. The miners up here in Scotland used to take them down the pits - not very healthy, but gives you energy, apparently.

Oh, interesting, I hadn't heard about that.

Someone told me that in Wales they ate cheese and jam sandwiches - the jam helped tamp down the coal dust, apparently.

My question for them-who would win in a fist fight-Jesus, Chuck Norris, or Jackie Chan?

BAH! I am an ex student and I live on one of the noncentral council estates on the edges of the city so I cannot avail myself of this tempting offer.

PS: Scottish FJ meetup! Can we haz it

And I also suspect they use Nutella, which is a chocolate spread and thus much easier to make a sandwich with.

I've made those myself. SO. GOOD :drool:

PS: Scottish FJ meetup! Can we haz it

Give me a couple of years to save up the money, and I'd be all over it :P

you have been fobbed off at my uni you get a free hot drink ( tea, coffee or hot chocolate) as well a toastie! does your CU also do the thing where they give out free water and flipflops at the end of nights out? very helpful

I actually like that idea. I will gladly listen to the Romans Road during the two minutes it takes me to slip into free flip flops (size 7 please) and guzzle a bottle of water. Come to my town, Christians!

Guest Anonymous
I make toasted choco sandwiches and I am an american :)

Do you use Nutella, treemom? Or a chocolate bar? ... Not that I actually need to buy a tub of Nutella, as I generally eat it by the spoonful. :oops:

If I feel like that's being too ridiculous, I'll spread it on a waffle.

I want a Jesus toaster for the next time my family visits - that would be an interesting conversation, for sure.

Do you use Nutella, treemom? Or a chocolate bar? ... Not that I actually need to buy a tub of Nutella, as I generally eat it by the spoonful. :oops:

If I feel like that's being too ridiculous, I'll spread it on a waffle.

I have done it both ways. Sometimes I use pound cake as the bread.

Maybe this is what he meant when he broke the bread and said "This is my body"? I wonder if eating a Jesus Toastie would count as communion? It should. :P

Pretty sure this is the best thing since the iphone confession app.

oh oh oh I need to find my Jesus toaster....

jt.jpg

... I-i-is... Is that a real toaster?!? *is totally not gullible/sarcasm* :-D

Archived