IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

All things considered even if a new roof will cost 10k she got a home for 22k. Even another 20k in renovations and she still got a good deal for a home that will work for them in a nice area.

I think the place will be adorable with a new roof, if they lose that lattice, and so some landscaping. No idea what the inside is like, though.

A 22K house likely has a lot more problems than just needing a new roof. And with a roof like that, there could very well be mold issues and such inside, in addition to whatver else (plumbing, electric, ect) might be wrong inside.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 22K house likely has a lot more problems than just needing a new roof. And with a roof like that, there could very well be mold issues and such inside, in addition to whatver else (plumbing, electric, ect) might be wrong inside.

Not necessarily. My husband and his family only buy foreclosures that need work. My husband's first home was 8k and needed another 15k work. He lived there 10 years and then rented it out another almost 10 while renovating and living in a 25k home for him and I. The 10 yrs of rental income covered the cost of purchase many times over. The 25k home needed about 6k but it was able to be done over time. The homes were sold together for much more and enabled us to buy another fixer upper in a great neighborhood, on the lake, with cash, with the extra money for retirement.

TL;DR, my point being it is possible to buy a very cheap fixer upper and have it work out great.

The fact that the house was a foreclosure means all bets are off. It could actually be sturdy and only need cosmetic work beyond the roof. At any rate I hope they bought smart.

Not necessarily. My husband and his family only buy foreclosures that need work. My husband's first home was 8k and needed another 15k work. He lived there 10 years and then rented it out another almost 10 while renovating and living in a 25k home for him and I. The 10 yrs of rental income covered the cost of purchase many times over. The 25k home needed about 6k but it was able to be done over time. The homes were sold together for much more and enabled us to buy another fixer upper in a great neighborhood, on the lake, with cash, with the extra money for retirement.

TL;DR, my point being it is possible to buy a very cheap fixer upper and have it work out great.

The fact that the house was a foreclosure means all bets are off. It could actually be sturdy and only need cosmetic work beyond the roof. At any rate I hope they bought smart.

I would hope they bought smart too, but Emily's history doesn't show that she thinks smart over cheap. If she had shown herself to think of the downsides of stuff before jumping in, I might think differently, but her history doesn't bode well for her.

I bought a foreclosure for $170k (two bedroom, living room, kitchen, one bath, laundry and 2 bonus rooms, about 1300sf on one acre), and while it has good bones, there was a lot of hidden stuff that people might not look for- like electrical work. (the only visible stuff was cosmetic, other than a couple roof leaks.) It ended up costing about $25-30k to get up to code where I won't have to worry for a while. Could it have been lived in as it was? Yes. But it was not safe. I live in a different part of the country, where you will not find anything in that price range that is liveable, but I have lived in the midwest where you might, but it would need a lot of work.

Also, your homes were purchased a long time ago, even with the crash, housing prices are higher than they were a couple decades ago, as your selling them at a good profit shows.

• 1 month later...

I'm just now seeing the pic of the front door!

That's a load-bearing tarp, I think. They'll have to put the new roof over the tarp, because if they take the tarp off who knows what will happen, right? :) I've known of houses that had tarps in place of an actual roof for many many years. It's kind of amazing. The houses were in a sunny and mild climate....not in Maine.

The house was listed as a tear-down in the original listing description that I saw. This tells me that the house is not in livable condition, and no normal person could conceive of anyone else fixing it.

Do you see the wires hanging all over the front of the house? Ahhhh! Those are scary. They don't look like old Christmas lights. They look like a creative electricianist decided to do some work-arounds instead of actually hiring someone who knew what they were doing. Emily wouldn't see anything wrong with that. She invented the "trundle crib," right?

Maybe they will build a house from scratch, fail, and get TLC to help them build it the rest of the way.

I don't think this is an improvement, unless they are building a new house basically from the ground up. This house is TINY, and at least the rentals had to be up to code.

• 5 months later...

Apparently, Emily has gone from one extreme to the other. On her FB page facebook.com/emilybrownpierce she lists "other likes" including GreenPeace, exchristian.net, being liberal, legalize marijuana in Maine, and tarot.com.

Interestingly, Dan's page mentions that he volunteered at Camp Good News this past summer. Maybe they're going in different directions, but I don't see any indications of a split.

QFT. That is all.

Not to take on being an apologist for Emily - bitch be crazy what with the applesauce made from half eaten apples and the cute car baking mold bought to make crayons, paper mache, AND baked goods from - but I didn't get from my reading of the post on her son's illness that she left him to languish for days in a coma before seeking help. Here's the post describing the events: //under1000permonth.blogspot.com/2010/01/update.html

Personally, I would have been on the phone with my pediatrician's office from the second day on and taken their advice but, going by the event as she describes it, I would guess that they'd have told me to come into the office first thing Wednesday if things hadn't changed. I don't know - I do tend to be a bit paranoid, so it's possible I would have hauled the kids over to sit in the doctor's waiting room and waited for an opening on Tuesday, but Emily didn't do anything as grossly egregious as leave her son in a coma for three days. What she did do sounds a lot to me like poor folk medical care - stick it out for as long as you can and then head to the emergency room if your luck runs out. Fundie distrust of the medical establishment may have contributed to the cock-up, but Emily does mention having state insurance elsewhere on the blog. Maybe her DIY extremism played a big role. I'm not saying the situation was handled well, just that she's not a monster.

• 8 months later...

I think Dan and Emily have split up. In a December 18, 2013 Facebook post he wrote, "Emily came by to get presents for the kids. It did not go too bad. She did not stay long." More recently he also posted a bunch of pictures of his kids playing at McDonalds. Emily doesn't appear to be there.

• 11 months later...

Missing the trainwreck known as Emily and Dan. Facebook shows her living in Detroit, ME. and Dan living in Newport, ME. - 719 miles apart!

They no longer have each other as FB friends.

Dan's pictures show the 5 boys in a house that is cluttered and dark. He does have a TV. It appears to have a standard "AS IS" yellow tag from the Goodwill.

Anyone know the backstory?

I wonder if they divorced and he got the kids.

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I'm new to this rabbit hole,but I found dan on Facebook. He posts links to this blog a lot. Sure sounds like his writing- spelling errors everywhere. He writes Star Trek stories, I think? I couldn't bear to read them.

https://crystories.wordpress.com/2016/12/

I read this thinking he was saying she was a scientist in a world of WORRIERS and there was a mass cry. I was a little confused. 

I have to say, although he has grammatical errors, he certainly sticks with it. I think I remember Emily saying he had dyslexia? If that's right, it's a shame he didn't get more help for it in school- he does not lack in perseverance. 

Terasha was a klingon.she was a scientist in a world of woriers.she could have become a warier but she did not. She chose to persue her dreams.it seamed disastrous.  

Then the mass crises came. The klingon empire needed sciencentists now.  She became an instant star. Now she was working as an civialian advisor to star fleet. Working on behath of all three governments of the alliance.  She played a vital role now.

On 3/23/2017 at 1:29 PM, send*the*ferrets said:

I read this thinking he was saying she was a scientist in a world of WORRIERS and there was a mass cry. I was a little confused. 

I have to say, although he has grammatical errors, he certainly sticks with it. I think I remember Emily saying he had dyslexia? If that's right, it's a shame he didn't get more help for it in school- he does not lack in perseverance. 

I think he meant warriors not worriers.

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

I think he meant warriors not worriers.

I know that's what he meant now, I was just confused at first by the misspelling.

• 1 month later...

I wish I was a member of FJ when the Emily and Dna blog was going strong. Of all the rabbit holes I've fell into here. This one is the most interesting.

I completely forgot their last name, but I did find Dna on fb a month or so ago and his spelling was still amazing. 

16 hours ago, Ralar said:

Emily and Dna Pierce

Thanks! (Love your avatar btw, that's one of my favorite memes whenever someone shares a nfsw article)

Archived