IGNORED

Modern Family challenged for tot's bleep.

dairyfreelife

I cannot imagine a "mainstream" organization that is more objectionable than onemillionmoms. I need to figure out how to start a counter-organization.

ETA that I've always found it quaint how Mormons get all fidgety about cussing. I lurk on an exmormon forum, in which posters are not allowed to use "swearage" in their topic titles, and must warn readers about any swearage that any topic may contain. I once asked them, "We're all adults here, so what's the big deal?" I was told that they didn't want to scare away any "questioning" Mormons, for whom cusswords were a major trigger. Go figure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the advertisers on Modern Family care what the Million Moms think anyway? They are not exactly the target audience for that show.

I read some of the posts on the site and they made mention that Lily (the little girl) looked happy to have said the bad word. Well, duh. Because that was the character and, even at 2 years old, the girl is an actress or at least follows direction. Nobody was happy that she said the word. It's kind of a common experience for a young child to say something inappropriate. She smiled when she said it because it made her daddy laugh.

So it goes.

Why would the advertisers on Modern Family care what the Million Moms think anyway? They are not exactly the target audience for that show.

I read some of the posts on the site and they made mention that Lily (the little girl) looked happy to have said the bad word. Well, duh. Because that was the character and, even at 2 years old, the girl is an actress or at least follows direction. Nobody was happy that she said the word. It's kind of a common experience for a young child to say something inappropriate. She smiled when she said it because it made her daddy laugh.

So it goes.

She's 4, not 2, and actually said "fudge."

And I do worry about the Million Moms. It's scary when an ultraconservative religious organization from freaking Mississippi is powerful enough to affect the choices of major corporations.

And I do worry about the Million Moms. It's scary when an ultraconservative religious organization from freaking Mississippi is powerful enough to affect the choices of major corporations.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I didn't say that I don't worry about the Million Moms. I wondered why anyone associated with (i.e. sponsors) cared what they thought since none of them would watch Modern Family in the first place.

Sorry about getting Lily's age wrong. I guess she was 2 when the show started. I know she actually said fudge. I also know, because I love the show and watched it, that you couldn't tell what the heck she said because her mouth was blurred out.

The Million Moms is just one of many RWR groups that I keep an eye on.

I've never seen Modern Family, but I've read a couple articles and all I gather is it has gay parents - there seemed to be some earlier eleventy-level handwringing over the two fathers kissing on TV.

Is this a reality show, or a sitcom? Everyone here says the daughter is played by an actor, so I guess this is scripted or the 'reality' portions are mostly re-enactments using using the 'real' adults but actors for the children's roles (which would be very confusing, but waaaaaay better than the Duggar method of shoving their kids in front of a camera for exploitation 24/7). So the million mom/ mormon groups are protesting... a child actor reading 'fudge' from a script, later edited to make it look like a bleeped out 'fuck'? And the whole plotline could be total fiction? What time does this show air? Would small children actually watch it? Why don't the mothers just tell the truth when asked what was bleeped out? This is fucking weird.

The guy's name is McKay Hatch? He has a last name for a first name? Is his name one of those weird mormon names, even though he's from FL?

I've never seen Modern Family, but I've read a couple articles and all I gather is it has gay parents - there seemed to be some earlier eleventy-level handwringing over the two fathers kissing on TV.

Is this a reality show, or a sitcom? Everyone here says the daughter is played by an actor, so I guess this is scripted or the 'reality' portions are mostly re-enactments using using the 'real' adults but actors for the children's roles (which would be very confusing, but waaaaaay better than the Duggar method of shoving their kids in front of a camera for exploitation 24/7). So the million mom/ mormon groups are protesting... a child actor reading 'fudge' from a script, later edited to make it look like a bleeped out 'fuck'? And the whole plotline could be total fiction? What time does this show air? Would small children actually watch it? Why don't the mothers just tell the truth when asked what was bleeped out? This is fucking weird.

It's a sit com. no reality whatsoever. It is also not suitable for young children or fuddy duddy religious fundies.

It is also hilarious!

I wonder what they'd have to say about the 11 year old actress in the movie Kick Ass, who outright says (unbleeped) "fuck" and "cunt" in the film. Funny thing about it was that the director was worried about her being uncomfortable saying those things, to which she told him that she had four older brothers and was used to cursing.

The guy's name is McKay Hatch? He has a last name for a first name? Is his name one of those weird mormon names, even though he's from FL?

Probably after David O McKay. It's a fairly common name around here (teh hubz has a cousin named McKaye--with the e because she's a girl and it makes it more feminine). Actually I knew a family a while back with kids named Taylor, Spencer, Emma, and McKay. After John Taylor, Spencer W Kimball, Emma Smith, and David O McKay.

I laugh whenever I see that. I think they also did the same thing in their post about the FOX show Allen Gregory.

Gotta make it clear that two men living in the same house, sleeping in the same bed, and raising children together are of the Homosexual persuasion! :lol:

It's a sit com. no reality whatsoever. It is also not suitable for young children or fuddy duddy religious fundies.

It is also hilarious!

Thanks! Wow, so they're worked up over a made-up story that children don't watch anyway? :lol:

I want to email them some Harry Potter slash fic now.

Thanks! Wow, so they're worked up over a made-up story that children don't watch anyway? :lol:

Bible slash would be better...

I cannot imagine a "mainstream" organization that is more objectionable than onemillionmoms. I need to figure out how to start a counter-organization.

I think you should call your counter-organization "Two Million Moms". Since they were just making up numbers anyway, why not go for a bigger one?

Wow ! That is really terrifying to me ! Just saw the episode and it was really funny .. I don't even understand how this is controversial ??? An everyday situation that many people face making it more dramatic, funny and entertaining .. isn't that the entire POINT of a sit-com ???

What is the world coming to where that episode is causing a boycott !?! I agree it isn't a show aimed at little kids, but not because it's objectionable- it would probably be boring to anyone under 10-12ish. Great show.

lol! And make them watch Dog the Bounty Hunter uncensored. Love the way he prays and cusses in the same frame. :lol:

Ah, they should come up to Canada, we aired The Soprano's uncensored at 6pm on a based cable channel with just a warning in front.

Found something sad and snark-worthy in my 12 year old's English homework.

They were reading a short story by the woman who was the subject of the famous photo of children fleeing a napalm attack during the Vietnam War (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc) Great - it's an important story and opened the door to some deep discussions.

So, what was the issue? The last name of the woman was scratched out - because it's Phuc. It's her NAME, people!

Found something sad and snark-worthy in my 12 year old's English homework.

They were reading a short story by the woman who was the subject of the famous photo of children fleeing a napalm attack during the Vietnam War (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phan_Thi_Kim_Phuc) Great - it's an important story and opened the door to some deep discussions.

So, what was the issue? The last name of the woman was scratched out - because it's Phuc. It's her NAME, people!

Anyway, her name is pronounced "Fook." It's a long "u" sound.

If her name had the "u" looking like this: ư then the pronunciation would be closer to rhyming with "hook."

You'd think they'd learn how to pronounce her name; hers is a relatively easy one to pronounce.

People are stupid.

What area do you live in, may I ask? Do you have a Vietnamese population in your area at all?

My friends little brother came home one day from school and proudly announced that he had learned to flip the bird. He then showed everyone how to do it. :obscene-birdiedoublered: Their mormon bishop was visiting that day and saw the whole thing. It was so funny to watch.

There's a decent-sized Vietnamese community here - in fact, one of the ironies is that Kim Phuc herself lives in the greater Toronto area.

it was blurbed out everywhere for effect because you know other wise we would of heard Lilly say Fudge over and over :) i think they handled it very well! In real life it happens also she did it for the very reason other kids do it...attention she made her daddy laugh. Which was why she did it during the wedding if daddy hadnt cried she wouldn't of lol.

BTW I've never heard it calling cursing always cussing.. must be a regional thing?

I only started watch Modern Family last year because one of the guys who plays Lilly's dad (Eric S) is from the area.. I tuned in one day to see if he could "act" gay and do it well since he isn't in real life. Ended up loving the show .. Al Bundy sealed it so Modern family along with Raising Hope are the shows i never miss.

There's a decent-sized Vietnamese community here - in fact, one of the ironies is that Kim Phuc herself lives in the greater Toronto area.

The fact that there's a decent-sized VN community there makes it even more maddening that they didn't get her name right.

Hahahaha! The No Cussing Club would hate Small Relative, who has sworn fluently since she was two. We're Scottish. It comes naturally.

She'll normally go behind a door to say "FUCK!!!" which she does when really annoyed. I told her not to say that to people, but going somewhere private and saying it, no problem. Her other ones are "Shite" and "Fannybaws" which make her dad laugh to a ridiculous extent, but she also knows "It's not OK to say that except at home."

I know it's not great, but small kids swearing is funny. It just is. ;)

Did she come up with "fannybaws" herself? Because that is hilarious!

What would it translate to in American? Inquiring minds, and all that. :whistle:

Archived