IGNORED

Tomorrow (1/19) is Sarah's 30th b-day.

kpmom

I feel so bad for her - in Fundie world isn't she going to be considered a "old maid?"

For her generation she is still eligible. 40 is when they get to be spinsters. :lol:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For her generation she is still eligible. 40 is when they get to be spinsters. :lol:

She may be eligible, but the pool of fundie men is shrinking for her. What 22 year old young fundie dude wants a 30 year old helpmeet? They like 'em young so they can be knocked up twice by the age of 20. Sarah's child bearing years are limited pretty severely in fundie land.

Steve ruined her life just like he did Teri's. They'll both serve him until he croaks, then Nathan will be their headship, each with a bed of their own, maybe, in a shared room in his home.

She may be eligible, but the pool of fundie men is shrinking for her. What 22 year old young fundie dude wants a 30 year old helpmeet? They like 'em young so they can be knocked up twice by the age of 20. Sarah's child bearing years are limited pretty severely in fundie land.

Steve ruined her life just like he did Teri's. They'll both serve him until he croaks, then Nathan will be their headship, each with a bed of their own, maybe, in a shared room in his home.

Sarah will get a widower. What about Sproul??

This. If Sarah doesn't escape the fundie world she will likely never marry, unless some fundie widower with kids marries her.

Even if she got married right now, she'd never have a full quiver. But some fundie boy who secretly wants fewer children might actually consider that a good thing.

Sarah will get a widower. What about Sproul??

I concur with your matchmaking, absolutely. Perhaps we should call up Sproul and make the introduction/suggestion; I am feeling matchmaky today.

Also, thank you for defrauding me with your Meat-kini on every thread. Between you and simplysweet, I can't open a thread these days without cackling like a hyena.

I love me my meatkini, I'm gonna wear it down to the SS office when I collect :D Marmalade gets the credit though.

Oh and Josh can lick my rancid bacon.

in the ultra orthodox jewish community someone like her would be considered damaged goods. my aunt who married orthodox at 29 (due to circumstances outside her control she was not able to marry younger) was married to a 53 year old man, a widower without any children. it would not have been viable for her to marry anyone younger. she is happily married to a good man with 6 children, and although they use no birth control she is no longer getting pregnant probably due to her husband's age. i imagine that Sarah would be married to someone like this if she were lucky.

I concur with your matchmaking, absolutely. Perhaps we should call up Sproul and make the introduction/suggestion; I am feeling matchmaky today.

Also, thank you for defrauding me with your Meat-kini on every thread. Between you and simplysweet, I can't open a thread these days without cackling like a hyena.

No Sproul for Sarah. They are polar opposites in doctrine.

One of the two would have to make a defection.

A nice missionary for Sarah - if only Steve would invite one to his "church."

30 is such a milestone in many women's lives. I live in a fairly conservative area and most everyone marries young. Being 30 and single is a nightmare for some girls. I feel girls nearing 30 around here start to go to some lengths to find a mate. In the fundie world, marriage is considered the crowning achievement of girls. I feel it must be incredibly difficult for them to not be courting by 20. 30 is well past spinisterhood. The tragedy is that these girls could probably have married if not for their cloistered and ultra-fundie lifestyles. I wish Sarah Maxwell well, but I don't hold onto hope that she'll find a nice fundie anytime soon.

Poor Sarah. She already got her new Bible cover for Christmas too so whats left? The girl has everything... :roll:

Five yards of calico for a new frumper? :D

From the Maxwell Family's blog (emphasis mine):

While we are prepared to take over all that you do should the Lord bring a man into your life to be your husband, we are grateful for all you have given to our family and invested in so many others around the world.

Well, Steve, she's 30 years old. Enough with the magical thinking. Try meeting the Lord halfway - STOP ISOLATING HER!!!

***SIGH***

Sarah is nearly exactly 6 months older than I am. I moved out years ago, I've studied, traveled (without my patriarch breathing down my neck), worked and generally grown up and learned to think for myself. And I even have a husband and a bunch of kids. Sarah is stuck in perpetual limbo-she's been finished with the childhood stage for years but she's denied any chance to progress and even move into adolescence, let alone adulthood.

Steve, you're a jerk. You might think that you're protecting your kids from becoming hell-bound, but your theology is so far out, it may as well be from another planet. Free Sarah.

I think it's nice that someone (mom? dad? mary???) took time to outline all of the things she does -- they really seem to notice her hard work and I bet that felt good for her to hear....

Until the last paragraph. OUCH!

Happy birthday, Sarah!

I'm sure this thread is the only excitement she'll have on her b'day.

It wouldn't surprise me if her b'day involves a pat on the shoulder and praying all day to God.

Maxwells really know how to party it up!

Wow! It really hits home how sheltered the children of these fundies are when you see people your age virtually stuck in time. I really feel badly for this woman. She never had a chance with these idiotic, poor excuses for parents. I would hope that she would realize that this just isn't working for her and get out of this lifestyle, but she's probably institutionalized at this point. Happy Birthday to Sarah (though I doubt it will be). :(

I (sort of) feel her pain. I turned 30 a few months ago, and it honestly does bug me that I'm not in a serious relationship. However, my parents have no interest in/focus on/worries about/control over my relationships, so no pressure there. Also, I'm not religious, so I can have sex guilt free without worrying about not fulfilling my duty to filling someone's quiver.

I feel so bad for her, and for the other SAHDs stuck at home. It's sort of an uncomfortable position for me, because wishing that they get married seems to affirm the 'you are nothing without a man' idea, but honestly, it's the best of bad options. I'm pretty sure most women would choose staying at their own home with their own children, being treated as an adult, having sex, and having some control over their lives over staying at their parents' home watching their siblings.

No purity rings for the Maxwells. I'm pretty sure they don't do any jewelry other than wedding bands (and engagement rings for women).

I feel so bad for her, and for the other SAHDs stuck at home. It's sort of an uncomfortable position for me, because wishing that they get married seems to affirm the 'you are nothing without a man' idea, but honestly, it's the best of bad options. I'm pretty sure most women would choose staying at their own home with their own children, being treated as an adult, having sex, and having some control over their lives over staying at their parents' home watching their siblings.

This

The blog says that the family is grateful that Sarah has chosen to continute to live at home when she could have moved on to live any life she desired. I wonder what would REALLY happen if a Maxwell, especially a daughter, decided to move out into an apartment by herself. Or announced she was going to take classes at the local community college. How do you think Steve would react? I think there would be enormous pressure and guilt put on the victim, I mean daughter! She'd be a huge disappointment and would not be a good testimony to the "Keeping Your Children's Hearts" sessions given by Steve and Teri.

Guest Anonymous

Oh Shit, Sarah - Steve doesn't ever plan to let you go... :(

Happy Birthday Sarah!!!

Happy birthday, Sarah. We are greatly blessed as we think about all the ways you serve and bless this family and others. Eleven years ago, when the Managers of Their Homes book came out, you immediately took responsibility for packing and shipping each order. Now you effectively and efficiently manage all of our book titles, including their initial printings and reprints. You process orders, make sure we have the right boxes and other shipping supplies, handle the taxes and filing, answer the phone and e-mails, take photos, keep up the blog, and coordinate our speaking trips. Somehow in the midst of all of that, you find time to write your own books – books that have blessed, encouraged, and mentored thousands of children.

Not only are you the backbone of Titus2, you help with meals and cleaning here at home. You clean for Nathan and Melanie when Melanie is pregnant and unable to do so herself because of her difficult pregnancies. You make lunch for Gigi and Grandad one day a week and eat with them plus help with cleaning their house.

We love your heart for the Lord Jesus, your sweet spirit, and your great desire to fully serve and obey Him. We delight in the time we have had with you as a beautiful young woman who has chosen to continue to live in our home when you could have moved on to live any life that you desired.

While we are prepared to take over all that you do should the Lord bring a man into your life to be your husband, we are grateful for all you have given to our family and invested in so many others around the world. We are blessed to have you as a daughter and sister.

Your Family

“Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.†Proverbs 31:10 (KJV)

Does anyone know if the Maxwell girls wear purity rings?

No Maxwell girl is ever allowed alone with any man who is not her brother or father, so no possibility of temptation and no need for a purity ring. They literally have no opportunity to be "impure".

I wonder how much this blog entry has been aimed at us? i.e the husband part and the "when you could have moved on to live any life that you desired." as we know that Stevie lurks on here...

Hi Stevie!! :naughty:

Archived