IGNORED

Michelle "too busy" so Jessa assigns jurisdictions

IReallyAmHopewell

Lilwriter how did making older children do laundry work in practice in your family. Did you have assigned days where everyone did their own laundry? How much nagging was involved?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lilwriter how did making older children do laundry work in practice in your family. Did you have assigned days where everyone did their own laundry? How much nagging was involved?

There were never assigned days, basically anyone who wanted or needed to wash clothes would do it if no one else had things in the washer. My older siblings were always ok with doing laundry so there was no nagging. My mom would do her and my dad's laundry week nights or on Saturday mornings. My two older brothers were 11 and 13 years older than me and they sometimes did big loads with their clothes mixed together and other times they did their own loads with their own clothes. My older sister did laundry whenever she needed to and sometimes she washed some of my clothes with hers. When I was 10 all of my siblings were already out of the house. Sometime after that I started doing my own laundry.

My kids will do laundry and have figured out (at 15 and 17) that most people in our family run out of socks and undies first! I am thrilled when I come home to find a load in the washer and happily move it to the drier. I don't make them do this though.

We tried having one color of towels for each person (3 each) but somehow they never got washed unless I did it!

Yeah it really irritates me that people say "oh their such a nice family, and they are training their kids up so well"... Meanwhile what are they training them up for? just to be Mom's and soldiers for God, and let me tell you after the latest remarks from smuggar, its clear they are raising very bigoted children, with absolutely no open mind when it comes to people of different beliefs!

I agree with the others that Michelle does nothing, even on the show she just floats around the house checking in on everyone else doing their jobs, all the while she giggles and talks baby talk, oh and answers the phone giving interviews! :roll:

someone mentioned taking the kids to the dr is all she does.. I don't think she does that either.. some where it came up and one of the oldest girls took a child to the dr. Remember also the dentist with Jordyn didn't her buddy take her back? If they have your insurance card or one on file any adult can take your child to like the ER. As for the dr anyone can take them..I once had to have my 17 yr old take her brother age 14 because I was at the hospital with a sick baby. There is nothing to sign when going to reg dr so it wasn't a problem.

I can't believe she misspelled her own daughter's name! Well, I can easily believe it, I'm more disgusted by it, I guess. Fans will probably hand-wave it away as "oh, parents mess up their kids' names all the time!" Au contraire, mon frere. While parents do call kids by the wrong name, etc, the context is significantly different. Example: my name is Kathleen, my sister's is Maureen, so occassionally my mother, while flustered, would call the wrong name out loud. IN WRITING is a completely different thing!

Also, I get so fucking annoyed with the whole fundie mom (and non fundie mom) bitching about all of the work that needs to be done, and how they get oh so overwhelmed. I'm single, no kids, and I still need to cook/clean/do/laundry/pick up dry cleaning/run errands, etc. Yeah, I don't have to bring kids with me to do it, but I make up for it by working and going to school. Michelle, your life isn't that hard, and your household tasks are nowhere near odious.

Yeah it really irritates me that people say "oh their such a nice family, and they are training their kids up so well"... Meanwhile what are they training them up for? just to be Mom's and soldiers for God, and let me tell you after the latest remarks from smuggar, its clear they are raising very bigoted children, with absolutely no open mind when it comes to people of different beliefs!

I agree with the others that Michelle does nothing, even on the show she just floats around the house checking in on everyone else doing their jobs, all the while she giggles and talks baby talk, oh and answers the phone giving interviews! :roll:

I also get irritated with the people who say that. They just have boners for large Christian families. I agree as well, Michelle really doesn't do anything. The way you described her on the show is perfect.

Wow. My mom, on a bad day, would mix up my name or my brother's, but never misspelled our names even if they were similar.

Sevy is now expected to put away her clothes. At 5.5 that is not too much to expect from her. Since it is fairly new, she is still adjusting to my request that she put away ALL of her clothes. She helps me with my laundry duties as well, taking the hampers to the laundry room, but I do not expect her to do laundry on her own just quite now, even if she is quite tall for her age and able to get into the washer and dryer... lol.

Sev's mom expected him to be able to do all of his own laundry by 15. He said he didn't like his mom doing his laundry by then anyway. My brother and I didn't do our laundry though; our grandma insisted on doing it (it gave her some way to work through grief, my grandfather was dying from a long illness by then). We didn't mind, it was one less thing to do on the farm.

Jeez, J'chelle does not seem to be doing much around the house. I'm pretty sure she does a lot behind the scenes though, i'm not sure I want to know just what though....eeew.

Guest Anonymous
Wow. My mom, on a bad day, would mix up my name or my brother's, but never misspelled our names even if they were similar.

Sevy is now expected to put away her clothes. At 5.5 that is not too much to expect from her. Since it is fairly new, she is still adjusting to my request that she put away ALL of her clothes. She helps me with my laundry duties as well, taking the hampers to the laundry room, but I do not expect her to do laundry on her own just quite now, even if she is quite tall for her age and able to get into the washer and dryer... lol.

Sev's mom expected him to be able to do all of his own laundry by 15. He said he didn't like his mom doing his laundry by then anyway. My brother and I didn't do our laundry though; our grandma insisted on doing it (it gave her some way to work through grief, my grandfather was dying from a long illness by then). We didn't mind, it was one less thing to do on the farm.

Jeez, J'chelle does not seem to be doing much around the house. I'm pretty sure she does a lot behind the scenes though, i'm not sure I want to know just what though....eeew.

Trust me, whatever Michelle is doing around the house, you can count on one thing-it's not in a vertical position.

I must say, I am very impressed with Jessa's organizational skills. She runs the homeschool, packs for vacations, and is now in charge of jurisdictions. This is a young woman who would do very well in the workplace. It's too bad she'll never get that opportunity.

I must say, I am very impressed with Jessa's organizational skills. She runs the homeschool, packs for vacations, and is now in charge of jurisdictions. This is a young woman who would do very well in the workplace. It's too bad she'll never get that opportunity.

Yea, but Jchelle is still a lazy C.

Since when does being able to pop out kids make you a parent? Let alone qualified to write about parenting?

Don't forget the lying egg sack also won Mother of Year and had a tea party and everything in her honour! *eyeroll*

Yeah, the best part of that article is that J'Chelle clearly has NO idea what is going on with housekeeping at all. If she were involved even in an "overseeing" capacity, she'd know that Jessa had redone the jurisdictions. Instead she's hanging out in her bedroom, being all wide-eyed with surprise about what's going on with her kids.

Did Michelle spell Jordyn's name wrong in that article?? Not that that would be a surprise.

I think she's dictated the article to someone over the phone, because one paragraph starts with "and so..." which is something Michelle always says in interviews. I can't imagine anyone writing it on purpose unless it was an awkward spoken-to-written translation (but maybe I'm overestimating Michelle's writing abilities).

Michelle is sounding more and more like Kate Gosselin every day. Next thing we'll be hearing is that she's "exhausted" 15 times an episode after accomplishing nothing but delegating her work.

All she needs is a white plastic lawn chair.

Did Michelle spell Jordyn's name wrong in that article?? Not that that would be a surprise.

Isn't Jordyn the baby the whole family named in one of episodes? I thought the whole family naming a baby is odd. And the parents didn't like the middle name. Anyway maybe Michelle didn't like the name and can't/won't remember how to spell it.

He's the one who nearly puked when Hannie once forgot she was no longer wearing a diaper when sitting on Jim Bob's lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuO3rDbpLmU

AHHH! Why would anyone WANT that on TV? And poor Hannie..."remember the time you pooped all over Dad? Well, here's the tape!"

Ew ew ew (brain bleach)

As someone who helped to raise a younger sibling while still young myself, I really feel for the Duggar girls, and it makes me sad to think that they likely don't even realize how much they're being taken advantage of. As some of you have rightly pointed out, Michelle doesn't appear to do a whole lot of anything, which has actually caused me to speculate if she may be mentally ill in some capacity. It's just a sad case all around.

Isn't Jordyn the baby the whole family named in one of episodes? I thought the whole family naming a baby is odd. And the parents didn't like the middle name. Anyway maybe Michelle didn't like the name and can't/won't remember how to spell it.

I remember that episode was one of the first times I saw the Duggars on TV, and thinking "Do they always name their kids like this?" I was also confused because Josh and Anna were handsexing it up hardcore while everyone was in the circle discussing names, and I was like "Why does one have a girlfriend?!" (I had no idea they were actually "courting" and engaged, or that they had never been alone together).

Anyway, back to the naming thing. I can see parents looking for input for a future child's name from their current children, but I wouldn't hold a 'family meeting' about it. Also, Makiya is teenage, tragic, and misspelled IMO. "Jordyn Grace" would have been fine.

I always wondered where on earth the older girls got the name 'Makiya' came from!

So agree Maude and sorry you went through that! As someone who was also taken advantage of by my parents (but luckily no children involved) it took a long time to realise what they were demanding more of me than the norm and the guilt trips that were put in place to make sure I toed the line were greatly influencial for me, so that even when I did stand my ground and say no, I felt bad about myself for doing so. So I can only imagine its the same crap these poor girls are going through, guilted into believing they are doing the right thing, and that they are being selfish if they dare say no! :-(

As someone who helped to raise a younger sibling while still young myself, I really feel for the Duggar girls, and it makes me sad to think that they likely don't even realize how much they're being taken advantage of. As some of you have rightly pointed out, Michelle doesn't appear to do a whole lot of anything, which has actually caused me to speculate if she may be mentally ill in some capacity. It's just a sad case all around.

There's quite a few of us here who think that Michelle is mentally ill and probably has been for a looong time.

Archived