IGNORED

Is it possible to be fundie and NOT a republican?

muffynbear

Can certain fundies like the Duggars be democrats? Or is that taboo? It seems like since fundies are oh-so-conservative, they tend to lean right politically. It makes sense that conservative Christians would be Republican, however there must be exceptions, right?

Most Catholics I know are Democrats because of social justice issues, the death penalty, etc. Jews tend to be Democrats in the US, even Conservative and Modern Orthodox ones (although I don't know anything about how the haredim vote). Even if you feel strongly pro-life, there are other issues, ya know? Even many Catholics that I consider fundie-lite vote Democrat

But Protestant fundies seem overwhelmingly Republican. Cuz Jesus was all about greed and poor-shaming. :roll:

Look up the Constitution Party and Chuck Baldwin. Lots of fundies went for him in 08 because McCain was too liberal. I've heard of Libertarian fundies, but not many. And most African-American fundies vote for the Democrats even though they're closer to the GOP on some social issues.

I'm assuming that most fundies are Republican because they want to impose their beliefs on everyone and completely disregard the social concerns in the Bibles, enamoured as they are of their warped Protestant ethic. So presumably if there are some fundies out there who accept that others might live differently from them and are sensitive to the idea of caring for others then they might be Democrat.

I used to know a fundie lite family who was Democrat mainly because they strongly disliked war (this was during the first W. Bush mandate). But then, the husband was getting a PhD in theology from a good university, the wife had some kind of job and wore pants and they only had two kids.

My youngest sister was in Catholic school during the election in 08 and the church sent home packets for the families all about McCain and why he was the better candidate. They do live in a very conservative town in a Blue state, but they only had a few fundie lite families. Most were upper middle class families with BMWs and moms with Louis bags. That packet really pissed me off though. Don't tell a 4th grader who there parents should vote for and why. Not cool.

My mother and I were speculating this weekend about Rick Santorum and how he has such evangelical support even though he's Catholic. I said I wonder if he would convert to Baptist at some point since his beliefs more closely mirror theirs than the Catholic church (Santorum cares little about social justice issues and sides against the Catholic church on evolution and global warming). My mother said he would lose the Catholic vote if he did that. I said I don't think he has much of the Catholic vote to begin with.

Zsu and PP hate both Dems and Reps. The Dems, for their pro-choice stance, and the Reps because of their warmongering.

My daughter went to a Christian school and when they visited DC, they were given "Bush-Cheney" t-shirts. Several students, including my daughter, refused to wear them. But I don't know if you'd call that school fundie-lite or just slanted to the right, since there was a pretty mixed array of beliefs (including nominal Christians).

Last I heard, the fundies in our family (the ones who were friends with the Mortons) don't vote at all because the government isn't truly Christian. Their kids also didn't have birth certificates or social security numbers although her husband works for the government. Go figure. That might have changed though. Just putting it out there that some of them abstain from all worldly things including politics.

I person know 2 fundie families(one being my sister) who do not vote at all but are definiately Republican.. I am happy they don't vote, but that doesn't stop them from pretending they have an opinion you should be listening to. As far as I am concerned, you can't complain about the gov. if you don't vote.

I also think my sister doesn't vote because her 3 ,adult unmarried, daughters would get the idea they should be voting. We all know women should not be voting! I wonder this time around though because sister has always liked Santorum(I always want to say sanitarium:)) back to homeschool days so he will also have all the fundie homeschoolers on his side. If they allow their grown children to vote that would give many more votes so let them stay home.

I knew an African American man and his wife who were very fundie, but not patriarchal, and they were democrats.

A religious Jewish man I know is Republican, but doesn't care for any of the current choices. He says that all of his religious Jewish friends are Republican because they don't like Obama due to his apparent disdain for Israel. He feels that Obama threw Israel "under the bus" with his suggestion that Israel should return to the pre 1967 "indefensible" borders.

When I was growing up in fundamentalism, we were not supposed to vote. It was before this whole dominionist thing started taking over that particular sect. They're trying to vote Jesus back into the country now though.

Fred Phelps is a card carrying Democrat and has run in several Kansas primaries for various offices.

He did in the mid and early 1990s, but that was somewhat before he and WBC ended up on the national stage. I think he renounced all politics by the late 1990s, excepting his run for governor, which coincided with the rise of his other agenda.

He also received several awards from the NAACP and started out campaigning against adultery.

On topic, most of the Catholics I socialize with vote Dem, but I know of many more who vote Republican, often because of the anti-choice stance. I know a Catholic fundie family (including an adult sib with eight kids who identifies as QF) who all seem inclined toward Constitutionalist voting.

Sure.

Anabaptist fundamentalists are (in theory anyway) a-political and don't vote at all or associate with any political party.

Many of the more conservative people I know who do participate in politics are disgusted with both main parties and lean towards third-party possibilities.

We attend a church that I suppose would be fundie light by definitions here. President Obama had a great deal of support from people who were otherwise theologically and socially conservative. I don't keep tabs on other people's voting habits, so I don't know if they normally voted Democrat in other elections, but for that particular election there was a *lot* of talk about it and a lot of support for Obama.

From what I know, the Jewish vote was traditionally Dem, but that's eroding somewhat with Obama. OTOH, the rightward shift in the Republicans is also seen as scary.

Among the Orthodox, the right-wing of the Modern Orthodox are most likely to support Republicans, because of support for Israel. OTOH, Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jews are often not Zionist, and tend to focus on immediate local concerns, so they'll support whichever candidate helps them the most. With large families and a general avoidance of secular college, Haredi families are more likely to live in poverty and rely on food stamps and/or subsidized housing, so they aren't anxious to see program cuts.

I know a few fundie lite people who are Democrats. I know some devout hardcore Catholics that are Republican because they are pro-life and are anti-gay marriage.

I attend a "moderate" evangelical Church (moms all work, everyone wears jeans) but have attended more conservative ones in years past. YES it's a myth that all who believe like this vote GOP! Time the idiots in the media learned that. All residents of so-called "red states" (gag) or the "heartland" (double gag) don't vote the way pundits think either! And, for the record I don't know anyone who avoids associating with homosexuals who goes to same churches. Most have actual family members, co-workers or neighbors who are GLBT and don't hate, don't make jokes, etc. FREAK FRINGE is just that--a bunch of freaks on the fringe of society who stir up hate to make themselves feel bigger!

Archived