IGNORED

Andrea Yates

meow139

I operate a murdered children memorial site, and back when it was first started I discovered the case of Andrea Yates. She murdered her five beautiful children, by drowning them in the bath tub.

Recently I reopened this case, and I was shocked when I realized that this whole thing, the whole family... it just felt FUNDIE to me.

So was Andrea, Russell, Noah, John, Paul, Luke and Mary Yates fundies?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lesbian? I don't think so.

Having traveled in some of the same professional circles Andrea Yates did (once upon a time, she worked), she was definitely fundy. It wasn't a secret that she'd had severe postpartum issues (maybe depression, maybe psychosis) with several children. A lot of people believed that her husband was pressuring her into having more kids and he was the reason she didn't get medical care.

I'm skimming the Wikipedia article, which says her and her husband wanted "to have as many babies as nature allowed." If that doesn't scream fundy, I don't know what does. Normally I'm not a huge Wikipedia fan, but the article looks pretty solid based on what I've heard.

I'm pretty sure that Rusty's views on religion were part of why they had so many children, homeschooled, in a tiny trailer, with insufficient care for her postpartum depression. (Indeed, if you google it, you find out that they did consider themselves a Quiverfull family.)

I'm absolutely certain that Rusty was an abusive jackass who should have been tried for SOMETHING. I don't know what he could be pinned down on, but I can only imagine that if the afterlife he thinks exists does, he's going to get it there. (That'd be the only good thing about such a thing.)

How could a family composed of males and females be lesbian?

The Yates family was QF, if that's what you are asking. Post-partum psychosis led Andrea to kill her children. That, and the fact that Rusty would not allow Andrea to take necessary medications, so she could continue breeding. This is a tragic family story, and I can't believe someone would be so glib to ask if the family was "lesbian."

I'm pretty sure that Rusty's views on religion were part of why they had so many children, homeschooled, in a tiny trailer, with insufficient care for her postpartum depression. (Indeed, if you google it, you find out that they did consider themselves a Quiverfull family.)

I'm absolutely certain that Rusty was an abusive jackass who should have been tried for SOMETHING. I don't know what he could be pinned down on, but I can only imagine that if the afterlife he thinks exists does, he's going to get it there. (That'd be the only good thing about such a thing.)

This. Everything you said.

I have never supported a murderer before but when she was declared not guilty by way of insanity I felt it was 100% correct. I remember fighting with people online who opposed it, saying she was a selfish bitch that just wanted to get out of jail. Uh, no. They never could comprehend that she will never, ever leave that mental hospital. She is very, very sick.

Ugh I could go on and on about Rusty Yates. I lived in Clearlake (Houston) at the time, very near them, and it was just shocking. She was very mentally ill and was supposed to be supervised around the clock. I think the years and years of religious brow-beating just about killed her, she was catatonic at one point. There's so much in their history, I googled it pretty extensively a few years back.

I guess knowing what I know now, I would consider them fundie.

The Yates were quiverful and most definitely Fundie. Russell Yates hooked up with a traveling preacher who really stressed the wife only submission stuff. There was a period of time they actually lived in an old school bus and there were threats about calling CPS over it. Andrea Yates had PPP, not PPD, post-partum psychosis. She was told in NO uncertain terms to never go off her meds, to not be left alone with the kids, and to never have more babies. She had two babies after that warning. Russell Yates didn't believe the doctors, and he didn't believe her PPP was real. He deliberately had a gap from when he left for work to when his mother would come over to help Andrea. He helped her go off her meds in preparation for another pregnancy.

She was out of her mind. IMO, Russell Yates should have been charged for homocide. Instead, he was able to go on and remarry. Last I was ever able to determine, he had one new child with the second wife.

How could a family composed of males and females be lesbian?

The Yates family was QF, if that's what you are asking. Post-partum psychosis led Andrea to kill her children. That, and the fact that Rusty would not allow Andrea to take necessary medications, so she could continue breeding. This is a tragic family story, and I can't believe someone would be so glib to ask if the family was "lesbian."

The OP just typed the wrong word. She did not mean to write "lesbian". She meant "fundie". Look at the third post. Just a mistake.

I had the idea they were Catholic-fundie. What was their flavor of fundie?

Andrea was Catholic but I thought converted to whatever brand of fundie protestant that Rusty was.

Sorry, OP. Didn't mean to offend. I chatted with my daughter earlier and recommended a quiche recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Her reply? "I've always wanted the Rabbi's Farmer Cookbook." Damn You Auto-correct!

She was out of her mind. IMO, Russell Yates should have been charged for homocide. Instead, he was able to go on and remarry. Last I was ever able to determine, he had one new child with the second wife.

That was my thought also. Wasn't Andrea a R.N. ? I think she worked a few years prior to marriage.

I used to watch a lot of CourTv and I remember vividly how one of the commentators was just flabbergasted that Rusty played his GameBoy in the court room while his wife was on trial for her life. He should be tried for something. I'm thinking domestic abuse because it was documented that he forced his wife to go against doctor's orders and keep reproducing. She was very high risk for post-partum depression because of her history. She had a psychologist but her husband insisted that she leave it up to God.

she was something along those lines because it was argued she knew how long it would take to drown the children ect..

Thats the scary part of psychosis. You arent totally delusional, you can maintain your knowledge and thoughts - you just see shit through bat shit crazy eyes. She believed that the world had ended and Jesus came. They were left behind... and she was saving the children from torment by killing them.

Wasn't Andrea a R.N. ? I think she worked a few years prior to marriage.

Yes, she was.

She was very high risk for post-partum depression because of her history.

I don't know that it ever went away. Wikipedia says she had postpartum psychosis a few kids before she killed them. I've been told that she was hospitalized numerous times and she was on medication whenever she wasn't pregnant. Her husband would say it was time to get pregnant, she'd go off her meds, she'd get pregnant and have the baby, and after the birth she'd be so dysfunctional she would go back on her meds. Her husband didn't believe that she was really sick.

Rusty got away with murder, pure & simple. Andrea was and is seriously mentally ill.

This came up previously: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1099

There's also a link in there to a substantial legal article on the case & the role of medical experts in such cases: http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.pl?1 ... 27y+1#H1N8

she was something along those lines because it was argued she knew how long it would take to drown the children ect..

I looked it up, she was a R.N. and had a BSN. She worked for quite a few years.

Does anyone know if Rusty has had children with his 2nd wife? I can't imagine marrying him. He was as much to blame for what happened as she was.

Rusty pops up constantly on HLN when they are doing stories on parents who murdered thier children they bring him in as a expert ... ok whatever. I cringe everytime he is on.

Does anyone know if Rusty has had children with his 2nd wife? I can't imagine marrying him. He was as much to blame for what happened as she was.

As of 2008, he had one son with his new wife. Not sure about more recently than that, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were more kids, given his hardcore anti-BC stance in the past.

Archived