IGNORED

Santorum and the Chimera Protection Act

dairyfreelife

So, I watched the debates on Fox last night (I had nothing else to do). Santorum arrived for his Q&A. Some guy said he cared but the sancity of life, but asked where Santorum stood in cases where the child resulted from rape or incest. He replied that he cared about life and the vulnerable and something about rapists being allowed to live and the child of a rapist being killed and how that was wrong. He said something about us thinking about mom's health instead in a bad way, like the fetus/foetus was more important. He did state flat out that there shouldn't be exceptions in cases of abortion, not even for rape or incest in the end. :shock: Anyway, I know most pro-life make exceptions for such cases so it always shocks me when they don't. And I guess it surprised me to hear one of the presidential candidates admitting he wouldn't make any for rape or incest and suggesting not even for mom's health. There are no words. Who wants this guy to lead the US? Scary.

Anyway, because of this, I went to Santorum's website to learn more about the ass and the first thing that pops up about where he stands on the issues is his pro-life position. He has a long list of bills and acts he has co-signed into action and most he has signed, but they haven't been made into law.

So, I am scrolling down and reading them and a few sound nice, but most are awful, including bills allowing insurances to use religious exemptions to not pay for abortions. In a category called bioethic there is something called a Chimera Protection Act. I love mythology and a Chimera is a monster with three different animal parts to it (lion head or body, serpent tail and I can't recall the other animal) so this obviously intrigued me.

From Rick Santorum's site:

Chimera Prohibition Act (Co-sponsor) - This bill would have prevented chimeras (human-animal genetic hybrids) created with uniquely human genetic characteristics. Animal could not be fused with human brain or reproductive tissue. This ban would also ban human embryos from being implanted in animals.

WTF? This sounds like mythological creature crap-hybrid animal/human beings. Human embryos implanted in animals? Are scientists actually doing this and I've been out of the loop? This just sounds crazy.

So again I looked up Chimeras and genetics and found this site. It's an educational site so I won't break the link unless asked.

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/ge ... saics.html

That reminds me of the Picket Fences episode where they found out that a fertility doctor was using cows as surrogate mothers for human babies. The show pretty much went downhill after that.

As a Pennsylvania native, I try not to think about Santorum too much. He makes me nauseas. However, this little tidbit makes me think the guy has serious mental problems. He is obssessed with the whole reproductive issue to the point that he thinks about every twist on the process of forming a new being and then he tries to legislate it.

Weird guy. Scary.

Yeah, he's a freak. Had the displeasure of living in his district once upon a time. He is backed by and runs with some big money hard core pro-lifers, and I'm not surprised by any of this.

Yeah, it looks like he's trying to cover all his bases if there is an outright ban on embryonic stem cells and scientists try to use some kind of animal stem cells for human treatments. He apparently just really, really wants people to die who would benefit from gene therapy.

Yeah, it looks like he's trying to cover all his bases if there is an outright ban on embryonic stem cells and scientists try to use some kind of animal stem cells for human treatments. He apparently just really, really wants people to die who would benefit from gene therapy.

Of course, otherwise they might live long enough to reproduce and pass their defective genes along.

This is a person who if he had his way would have all birth control illegal because birth control encourages people to do things that are wrong. He believes even in marriage that sex should be mostly for making the babeees.

This is a person who if he had his way would have all birth control illegal because birth control encourages people to do things that are wrong. He believes even in marriage that sex should be mostly for making the babeees.

in other words he is a lousy lay and so everyone else is too. the rape and insest thing is something most pro lifers will not allow. well the hard core ones when religin is involved. But I would see what happens when one of the dugger girls is knocked up by one of her brothers or daddy. would an abortion happen to hide it?

What concerns me about Santorum and people who hold similar beliefs (such has the Duggars) is that they don't think of the ramifications of banning birth control altogether. Are condoms included in birth control? There would be higher incidents of back alley abortions and deaths resulting from those, increase in infant and maternal mortality, to name a few things.

Plus, banning abortions in all cases would make women who have been raped have to carry the baby to term. I wonder if he would change his mind if it were one of his immediate family members (God forbid) that this happened to.

And wtf is up with the Chimera Protection Act? This man needs to bang his wife more or get more hobbies that don't involve him using his limited imagination. He is quite obsessed with all things sexual.

I hope he never gets elected to anything. This man needs to look at historical reasons why abortion was legalized and why contraceptives were developed.

don't forget though its OK to get a abortion though if you are his wife and its HER health.

He or at least some his supporters apparently don't "believe" that she actually had an abortion. No, she just induced labor before the fetus could possibly be viable, and then it predictably did not survive. But since the doctor didn't actually "kill" the fetus, they was their hands of all responsibility. Causing death is fine as long as you didn't technically intend for it to happen.

What concerns me about Santorum and people who hold similar beliefs (such has the Duggars) is that they don't think of the ramifications of banning birth control altogether. Are condoms included in birth control? There would be higher incidents of back alley abortions and deaths resulting from those, increase in infant and maternal mortality, to name a few things.

Of course they don't they can only think of the moral parts. they don't or can't understand the reality of their wants. in realty their morals would not be very good if they were to really understand the consequences of their choise they want to force on everyone. Of course they are the moral police as they have such fantastic morals more so than anyone else. These people want what they want without worrying about if it really came true what it would bring. it's only important that everyone follow their beliefs because they are the only ones that have it right. fuck the consequences of it.

Guest Anonymous

Plus, banning abortions in all cases would make women who have been raped have to carry the baby to term. I wonder if he would change his mind if it were one of his immediate family members (God forbid) that this happened to.

And wtf is up with the Chimera Protection Act? This man needs to bang his wife more or get more hobbies that don't involve him using his limited imagination. He is quite obsessed with all things sexual.

I hope he never gets elected to anything. This man needs to look at historical reasons why abortion was legalized and why contraceptives were developed.

At 61, I'm old enough tp remember when:

Some doctors would not prescribe birth control at all for single women

When a woman needed an abortion, she had three options: risk peritonitis or worse having a back-alley procedure, pay an extortionate amount to a 'bent' obstetrician or fly to a country like England, where it was/is legal.

Outlawing birth control or abortion won't eliminate either one, it would simply drive the both underground where they would be either unsafe, or affordabble by only a limited few.

In other words, Ricky-BITE ME!

He or at least some his supporters apparently don't "believe" that she actually had an abortion. No, she just induced labor before the fetus could possibly be viable, and then it predictably did not survive. But since the doctor didn't actually "kill" the fetus, they was their hands of all responsibility. Causing death is fine as long as you didn't technically intend for it to happen.

My first pregnancy was ectopic and had to be terminated. It was caught early enough that it could be done with meds instead of surgery. The medicine they gave me didn't stop the heartbeat, it simply forced my body to expel the embryo. He would condemn me for that, but isn't it exactly what his wife did to save her life? He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Futhermore, I'd like to see anyone make birth control illegal. We can't keep cocaine, meth, heroine, etc. off the street, like the government would be able to stop the illegal importation of the birth control pill. And they definitely couldn't stop men and women from traveling to Canada to get vasectomies and tubal ligations. Fundies are idiots. If you disagree with birth control, then don't use it, but you have no right to try and legislate your beliefs and force others to follow them.

My first pregnancy was ectopic and had to be terminated. It was caught early enough that it could be done with meds instead of surgery. The medicine they gave me didn't stop the heartbeat, it simply forced my body to expel the embryo. He would condemn me for that, but isn't it exactly what his wife did to save her life? He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Futhermore, I'd like to see anyone make birth control illegal. We can't keep cocaine, meth, heroine, etc. off the street, like the government would be able to stop the illegal importation of the birth control pill. And they definitely couldn't stop men and women from traveling to Canada to get vasectomies and tubal ligations. Fundies are idiots. If you disagree with birth control, then don't use it, but you have no right to try and legislate your beliefs and force others to follow them.

Actually Santurom might tolerate your abortion if you were an extreme Catholic like he is. To him, intent matters more than outcome. As long as you said your intent was to remove something harmful from your fallopian tube and not to actually harm the fetus, you'd be golden. Of course, this is only if you were a perfect Catholic wife with 5 kids already and if you shed plenty of tears about it and maybe even showed the dead fetus to your other kids.

Actually Santurom might tolerate your abortion if you were an extreme Catholic like he is. To him, intent matters more than outcome. As long as you said your intent was to remove something harmful from your fallopian tube and not to actually harm the fetus, you'd be golden. Of course, this is only if you were a perfect Catholic wife with 5 kids already and if you shed plenty of tears about it and maybe even showed the dead fetus to your other kids.

(from my lurking at CAF) The only Catholic way to end an ectopic pregnancy is to physically remove the tube it's in with the embryo/fetus inside. The belief is that it's okay to remove a diseased organ, so if you had uterine cancer and were pregnant you could have a hysterectomy with the fetus removed with the uterus. They put the ectopic pregnancies in that category even though the tube isn't actually diseased in my understanding.

My guess is it's an attempt to end one of the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacanti_mouse

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humster

Science has done some strange and fascinating things.

I had not heard of this so I looked them up-they aren't human-animal hybrids really. They aren't making human-animal creatures and human embryos are still not being put inside of animals so that bill is dumb.

I tried to search for such a thing as human-animal hybrid creatures and all I got was some science-fiction in my searches and conspiracy theories and how science is using forms of them to further advances for human life. They used them to help us, not make new creatures really. I guess Santorum either is clueless as to what science is actually doing or is not as pro-life as he says he is and doesn't care about helping the living and ill humans among us. Probably both.

Vacanti Mouse link for liver help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1949073.stm

I had not heard of this so I looked them up-they aren't human-animal hybrids really. They aren't making human-animal creatures and human embryos are still not being put inside of animals so that bill is dumb.

I tried to search for such a thing as human-animal hybrid creatures and all I got was some science-fiction in my searches and conspiracy theories and how science is using forms of them to further advances for human life. They used them to help us, not make new creatures really. I guess Santorum either is clueless as to what science is actually doing or is not as pro-life as he says he is and doesn't care about helping the living and ill humans among us. Probably both.

Vacanti Mouse link for liver help: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1949073.stm

It's Santorum... I think it's safe to say he's clueless.

Archived