IGNORED

Anderson's doing a show on abstinence and purity balls

dawn9476

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow my head went to a whole other place with 'purity balls'.... so its confirmed if it wasn't already... I'm warped in the head and going to hell... :twisted:

It's one thing for parents to encourage their teenagers to wait until marriage before they have sex. But purity balls are downright creepy!

Terribly immature of me, but I'm LMAO that the family featured in those photos is surnamed 'Bonk.'

ETA: Apparently, it's an Australianism.

Lifted from the Urban Dictionary:

bonk

The act of sexual intercourse.

I could do with a good bonk.

It's one thing for parents to encourage their teenagers to wait until marriage before they have sex. But purity balls are downright creepy!

Meh, I don't think it's so great to ever encourage daughters to do something but not sons. That double standard is the very backbone of rape culture, because it sets up every potential sex encounter as a situation where someone always loses.

I had a phone call earlier so I missed the first 15 minutes. One of the promoters of the purity ball is on stage with a couple of young women and their parents who particiapted in the purity balls and vows. One audience member told them that she has a problem with patriarchy.

The show was pretty good. The Purity ball founder acted ok when others asked him critical questions. The young women who had attended the purity balls were a bit smug.

I watched it, and it was horrifying. I feel like I need to go take a shower now. That Randy Wilson is super-duper creepy. It made me sad that there were a few people in the audience who were clapping for these asshats, but I guess that's just the way it is. The woman who wrote the book "The Purity Myth" did a piss-poor job of pointing out what was wrong with the whole movement. It's like she got intimidated when she got up on stage.

I watched it, and it was horrifying. I feel like I need to go take a shower now. That Randy Wilson is super-duper creepy. It made me sad that there were a few people in the audience who were clapping for these asshats, but I guess that's just the way it is. The woman who wrote the book "The Purity Myth" did a piss-poor job of pointing out what was wrong with the whole movement. It's like she got intimidated when she got up on stage.

Yup, there are always going to be people who support purity movements. Some people who watched the show will probably make their daughters take purity vows.

I am watching this and was squicked out by the daughter who held her father up as what she wanted in a man. The whole linking of a girl's sexuality with her father and the bridal nature of the ballls is just so tainted and wrong. For all the mentions of purity it's really about sex. The girls who drink the koolaid whole heartedly are going to be so disappointed on their wedding nights - the others who don't will happily and secretly break their pledges or close to it.

Every time this subject comes up, I try and try and try to understand what is so creepy about purity balls/pledges/rings/etc. and I just don't get it. I did not watch this show because my stone age TV was having trouble finding a signal, but I've watched other shows and documentaries about the purity movement and I get that it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but for the life of me I can't understand what makes it "creepy" or "wrong."

Yup, there are always going to be people who support purity movements. Some people who watched the show will probably make their daughters take purity vows.

You know if it were me up there, I would have said that the Purity Ball still clings to the patriarchal structure surrounding it. It goes all the way down to God saying to Eve to submit to her husband because she disobeyed the 'Man'. I can tell them there were other purity pledges by women to the Ancient Goddesses such as Diana and Artemis, and that there was no man present.

Purity Balls rings the old Father protecting his daughter's virginity so he can get a good price to sell it to a man of worth, even if the man were old and ugly but rich and wealthy, he would still sell it to him. The fathers of the Purity Balls might not be actually selling their daughters but it has a streak of seeing women as possessions. If a woman wished to stay virginal, she did not need to pledge it to her father.

Every time this subject comes up, I try and try and try to understand what is so creepy about purity balls/pledges/rings/etc. and I just don't get it. I did not watch this show because my stone age TV was having trouble finding a signal, but I've watched other shows and documentaries about the purity movement and I get that it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but for the life of me I can't understand what makes it "creepy" or "wrong."

The balls are set up to look like a prom or formal dance, the girls are dressed up and primped as though they are going out, but the father is deliberately cast in the place of a date. Combine that with the explicit focus on the girls' sexuality and it goes beyond girls playing a dress-up with dad (which I could see as an innocent explanation for a daddy-daughter dance) and lands firmly in the territory of mock incest. The dads are not only taking an IMHO inappropriate level of interest in their daughter's sex lives, they are actively and publicly mimicking the role that a boyfriend should play. It gives me the creeps on a deep-down gut level.

When I was that age, getting dressed up pretty and going out dancing and revealing how far I was willing to go was strictly reserved for boys my own age. It would have horrified me to have been expected to do something like that with my dad.

It's creepy for me because I see it as somewhat incestuous. This isn't Dad going up to Daughter and having a chat with her where he says "I want you to be a happy, Godly woman, which means I'm asking you to save yourself for the husband God has chosen for you." This is Dad saying "God will only love you if you swear to me that you will remain a virgin until I give you to the man I have chosen for you, and by the way we have to go through a ceremony where you promise your purity to me." It's the show of it and the similarity to a wedding that's creepy. It's the way it places the Father and the Husband in the same category. It's the way it equates family love with that of romantic/sexual love.

What's creepy is the likening of a young woman's intimacy with her husband to intimacy with her father. It opens the door for sicko dads to potentially take the "intimacy" too far. The intimacy between father and Daughter and between husband and wife should be entirely different. Alot of the purity balls seem to send a mixed message -"I promise to only love my daddy until he tells me I can love another man" is just weird. You don't see sons out there saying "I will only share my intimate thoughts with my mom until she finds me a wife". Beyond that the exhorbitant focus on purity truly puts sex MORE "in your face" than just making the commitment to yourself or between you and your partner.

The intimacy between father and Daughter and between husband and wife should be entirely different.

It's the show of it and the similarity to a wedding that's creepy. It's the way it places the Father and the Husband in the same category. It's the way it equates family love with that of romantic/sexual love.

Both of these quotes show why it's creepy beyond belief. I would have no problem if the girl were promising to remain virgin only for her own sake; I wouldn't even bat an eye if they declared themselves 'brides of Christ' until they found earthly husbands and had the mock wedding this way. Harnessing your hymen to your father's success as a parent in a public ceremony is a really poor idea, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if this lot had honour killings in a generation or so.

I actually had the opportunity today to tell a very devout Christian woman I work with about the patriarchal movement. I told her about the purity balls and SAHDs and the Duggars (things I've learned here) and she was horrified. Thank you Free Jinger for giving me info to share. I think if a lot of Christians knew the truth behind so many of the family values crowd they wouldn't be so quick to identify with them.

At the very very least, it's silly to have such a double standard and expect women to be completely responsible for abstaining from anything sexual. Even you should be able to understand that.

But further than that, everyone owns their own sexuality. A father, mother, or priest does not own anyone's vagina. She owns it and can do whatever she chooses. If a woman has sex of doesn't, it' none of her dad's business unless she wants it to be.

But even further than that, most women would feel much more comfortable talking about sexuality with their mother, not their father. Also, it's really creepy the way the balls are supposed to prevent teens from wanting to go on actual dates. It's intended to be just like a date to fulfill her desire for that, but with Dad instead of a boy her own age.

I could go on forever but it would probably be lost on you if you truly don't see anything wrong with this type of thing.

Archived