IGNORED

Religious Knowledge Quiz

celestial

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<

I missed the Jewish Sabbath (thought it was Saturday), the bread and wine becoming the body of Christ in Catholicism, the teacher being able to read from the bible as an example of literature, and the last one about the Great Awakening.

We actually had a thread about this on the old FJ forum.

I got 14/15 then, and all of them right this time, since I learned about the last question after getting it wrong the first time! :D

15/15 - had to guess about the Great Awakening (?) and lucked out.

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is essential reading for the foundations of earlyish (mid-18th c.) American Christianity.

<

I missed the Jewish Sabbath (thought it was Saturday), the bread and wine becoming the body of Christ in Catholicism, the teacher being able to read from the bible as an example of literature, and the last one about the Great Awakening.

Jewish Sabbath begins Friday night at sundown. Emmiedahl can correct me, but I can't think of a Jewish observation that DOESN'T begin at sundown.

15 out of 15. The only ones I even had to think about were whether a teacher is allowed to read the Bible as an example of literature, and I'd never heard of the First Great Awakening (not being from the US) so that was a lucky guess.

ETA: I scored better than 99% of the public. Fuck sake, public, sort yourselves out.

Edited again -- check the stats at the end, they're well interesting. Athiests/agnostics outscored all Christians, and Jews outscored them. :D

Somehow I managed to get all 15 right. I knew most of them, had a good guess for a few, and then on the last one just chose one (other than the one it obviously wasn't).

15/15. Too easy. Though I don't know how I knew the last one, I just did. The rest were pretty obvious.

I don't consider myself to be terribly knowledgeable about religions. Apparently even so I am a lot more so than the people they asked. Scary!

Jewish Sabbath begins Friday night at sundown. Emmiedahl can correct me, but I can't think of a Jewish observation that DOESN'T begin at sundown.

There are some minor fasts that are from sunrise to sunset, but they are fasts that no non-Jews would be familiar with at all. All other observances and the two major fasts start at sundown.

Actually, don't hold me to that. Israeli Memorial Day, Israeli Independence Day, Holocaust Remembrance Day, and Jerusalem Day are all technically Jewish holidays (though obviously they were all created in the last century and are cultural, not religious in nature, but nonetheless, I believe they are considered Jewish holidays) and they may not begin at sundown.

But otherwise, yeah.

15/15. It's interesting how Jewish people, Atheists/Agnostics, and Mormons have the highest scores.

Also, 6% of Jewish people got the Sabbath question wrong, and 7% of Mormons got the Joseph Smith question wrong.

THe Mr. (13/15) and I (15/15) were discussing which subgroups scored well/poorly. I think, in the US, if you identify as something 'not-mainstream' in religion, you actually are more likely to have put some thought into your religion, so it doesn't surprise me that people who are 'minority' religious groups score pretty awesome.

(which may be why FJers score well, overall They actually have put some brainpower toward thinking about these things.)

15/15. All pretty easy for me. Then again, I do have 12 years of Catholic education (including years' worth of world religions classes) under my belt and probably 10 years of fascination with issues of religion and politics/culture.

I got 13/15 and I'm an agnostic Roman Catholic. (Does that make any sense?) It says that I got 93% more than "average" (I hate the word average used in surveys. People have different standards for average, dammit!) people would have gotten on this test. Question about Islam: Is the quiz right about Rahmadan (did I spell that right?) I thought that it was a holiday that Muslims celebrate at sundown on a certain day of a certain month after fasting for a long time. Can somebody please elaborate on this or explain if I'm wrong?

15/15

Anxious Girl, I'm sure one of our Muslim posters can explain more, but I believe that during the month of Ramadan, Muslims fast every day from sun rise to sunset.

I got 13/15 and I'm an agnostic Roman Catholic. (Does that make any sense?) It says that I got 93% more than "average" (I hate the word average used in surveys. People have different standards for average, dammit!) people would have gotten on this test. Question about Islam: Is the quiz right about Rahmadan (did I spell that right?) I thought that it was a holiday that Muslims celebrate at sundown on a certain day of a certain month after fasting for a long time. Can somebody please elaborate on this or explain if I'm wrong?

The fast for a long time is Ramadan. Or rather Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset every day during the month of Islamic calendar known as Ramadan. At the end of the month after the last day of the fast they celebrate a holiday that I believe is called Eid al-Fitr (it's definitely Eid something, but Eid just means holiday in Arabic).

Archived