IGNORED

Nominees Announced for Dougie's Film Fest

GeoBQn

The nominees are being announced for the 2012 San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival.

Creation Category

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/01/9868/

Great Commission Category

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/01/9869/

Documentary Category

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/01/9866/

The feature film nominees have not been announced yet.

Some of the nominees that have been mentioned at FJ include 180, IndoctriNation, and Unplanned. Not surprised that a large percentage of the Documentary nominees are about abortion.

Those 'science' nominations make me want to crawl into a hole and die. I weep for humanity.

I love how that one guy 'travels the world using his bible as a historical reference'. Even my evangelical/fundie-lite Archaeology of Ancient Israel and Judah professor taught that it was embellished up the wazoo to act as a propaganda tool.

The Ray Comfort film "180" is being nominated, huh?

It's simply nothing short than the worst pro-"lfe" propaganda film I've ever seen. It makes me upset on so many levels (and to think I used to have friends on FB who shared this with others happily... :doh: )

The SAICFF are the ultimate razzie awards for christians...

It's simply nothing short than the worst pro-"lfe" propaganda film I've ever seen. It makes me upset on so many levels (and to think I used to have friends on FB who shared this with others happily... :doh: )

I cannot stand that man. It is like he knows he is wrong but he just can't help himself because he's admired by so many of the fundie royalty.

180. I watched a few minutes of that and I was stunned by...the incredibly clumsy manipulation.

Guess what? If you ask neoNazis or LaRoucheists for their political views you will get some unpleasant answers. Americans very often confuse communism and fascism if they aren't very politically educated or interested. People will say "I don't know" when they mean "Go away and leave me alone." Some of his "interviewees" were also thinking and trying to articulate what they meant, but the camera cut away before they could.

How can anyone believe this as a documentary?

Not 180. Anything but 180. If Cumfart wins an award he'll be crowing about it forever.

180. I watched a few minutes of that and I was stunned by...the incredibly clumsy manipulation.

Guess what? If you ask neoNazis or LaRoucheists for their political views you will get some unpleasant answers. Americans very often confuse communism and fascism if they aren't very politically educated or interested. People will say "I don't know" when they mean "Go away and leave me alone." Some of his "interviewees" were also thinking and trying to articulate what they meant, but the camera cut away before they could.

How can anyone believe this as a documentary?

I would like to know how many people he didn't 'convert'. I am also skeptical that the people who said they were converted were actually plants. It isn't a documentary at all. It is propaganda plain and simple.

Didn't Comfort get a letter from the Anti-Defamation League that 180 is also offensive towards Jews?

And is Comfort so foolishly stubborn that he thinks he could call himself both a Jew and Christian?

The nominees are being announced for the 2012 San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival.

Creation Category

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/01/9868/

Here is the Facebook page for the "documentary" about wolves. Just a bit biased . . .

Really -- it's like a "what not to watch" list.

I love the rather vague description, and was tempted to do a bit of editing. The original:

Using a few carefully selected questions and years of experience in the field of apologetics, Ray comfort goes to the streets with probing enquiries and piercing responses refuting modern compromise. Join Ray and witness people change their position on controversial subjects after only moments of confrontation.

My edit:

Using a few carefully selected questions, honed to be as passive-aggressive as possible, and years of experience in the field of banana-peeling, Ray Comfort (because I proofread, interns!) goes to the streets with probing enquiries and allowing no full responses, refuting actual logic.

Join Ray (because doesn't it sound like fun?!) and witness people:

a. edited to appear as if they change their position

b. hired by the filmmakers

on a controversial subject about which we are being coy, despite everyone knowing it's abortion, after only an hour or so of being badgered, and, as we mentioned, lots and lots of editing.

So, other than the upper-case C, think they'll make any of my changes?

Here's the wolf film:

http://cryingwolfmovie.com/

I have to admit, I am no expert on this issue.

But they sure are turning me off to their side of the argument with this film! Some of that may be due to my general distrust of this kind of filmmaking, having seen 180 and other crap.

It is badly filmed and edited (which I think we are supposed to forgive because of some cutesy stuff at the beginning about how young and inexperienced the filmmakers are). Narration is sometimes mumbled.

Film of wolves, throughout, is mostly of them looking scuzzy, walking away, heads down -- their prey is generally made to look pretty, gentle, noble, etc., except when the camera skills are so bad that you feel they just couldn't resist using some really close shot of a buffalo. :roll:

There are lots of scare tactics -- horror/tragedy-movie music, dramatic animated graphics, pics of animals killed by wolves. There is a warning before them, if anyone wants to watch the film but skip that part -- I actually think the warning is just part of the scare tactics, but then, I raw-feed my dogs, so I've gotten less squeamish about those things.

I have no idea if they expect their audience to see those pictures and just see a loss of money for a rancher, loss of something a hunter could hunt, or just general waste. But they sure seem to be played up for drama -- as in, "look at how this poor innocent ruminant is torn up," which seems a bit disingenuous from the folks who raise/hunt and butcher the same animals for a living and for sport.

Much of it is about the argument that wolves are hurting the area economically. This testimony comes from the same few people, whose interviews are broken up throughout the film. It could very well be true, but having the same five or so people make up the whole argument isn't very strong.

The ranchers are pretty straightforward about the fact that their main concern is losing money. The hunters and "traditional conservationists" mostly seem to start with rhapsodizing about preserving elk, but it eventually becomes clear that they want large herds so they can go hunting.

One man seems to make some sense, and what he says is worth checking (the plan was to introduce a small number of wolves to Yellowstone, and then keep the number small, but nobody has been doing anything about that, so, he says, the wolves are eating so much that there is no longer a balance - I have no idea if it's true, BTW).

About a half-hour in, the religious stuff comes up -- "this country was founded on Christianity, and dominion over the animals is part of that," etc. And it continues throughout the rest of the film.

The case is made throughout that is it a "cultural war," and about states' rights, against the federal government and "The Left."

There is also lots of talk about preserving the history of conservation in the US, which they say has always been about good conditions for hunting and fishing (which may well be true, but, even if it was, does that mean it still has to be?).

There's lots of mocking of environmentalists, including someone "quoting" romanticized statements in a wimpy voice, over a shot of a very pregnant wolf carrying food in her mouth, and peeing.

Then they get into real scare tactics, quoting (?) environmentalists who say that humans are not even needed on the planet (or, at least, the way they are quoted makes it sound as if that's their belief).

There's a "you can't have if both ways" dig at evolution, along these lines -- if humans evolved to have advantages over animals, it means we are supposed to use those advantages. The coyote won't let the rabbit go due to morals, so why shouldn't we kill what is in our way? :?

Oh, and in a year and a half, he seems to have gotten very little actual footage of wolves -- the same shots come up over and over. We see that rotund pregnant wolf a lot.

I don't doubt that there may be problems, maybe even mismanagement or dishonesty, in a government program, whether it is local, state or federal, from liberals or conservatives.

But, as I said at the beginning, this film sure didn't educate me or sway me to their side of this argument!

Here's the wolf film:

But they sure are turning me off to their side of the argument with this film! Some of that may be due to my general distrust of this kind of filmmaking, having seen 180 and other crap.

It is badly filmed and edited (which I think we are supposed to forgive because of some cutesy stuff at the beginning about how young and inexperienced the filmmakers are). Narration is sometimes mumbled.

Film of wolves, throughout, is mostly of them looking scuzzy, walking away, heads down -- their prey is generally made to look pretty, gentle, noble, etc., except when the camera skills are so bad that you feel they just couldn't resist using some really close shot of a buffalo. :roll:

There are lots of scare tactics -- horror/tragedy-movie music, dramatic animated graphics, pics of animals killed by wolves. There is a warning before them, if anyone wants to watch the film but skip that part -- I actually think the warning is just part of the scare tactics, but then, I raw-feed my dogs, so I've gotten less squeamish about those things.

I have no idea if they expect their audience to see those pictures and just see a loss of money for a rancher, loss of something a hunter could hunt, or just general waste. But they sure seem to be played up for drama -- as in, "look at how this poor innocent ruminant is torn up," which seems a bit disingenuous from the folks who raise/hunt and butcher the same animals for a living and for sport.

Much of it is about the argument that wolves are hurting the area economically. This testimony comes from the same few people, whose interviews are broken up throughout the film. It could very well be true, but having the same five or so people make up the whole argument isn't very strong.

The ranchers are pretty straightforward about the fact that their main concern is losing money. The hunters and "traditional conservationists" mostly seem to start with rhapsodizing about preserving elk, but it eventually becomes clear that they want large herds so they can go hunting.

One man seems to make some sense, and what he says is worth checking (the plan was to introduce a small number of wolves to Yellowstone, and then keep the number small, but nobody has been doing anything about that, so, he says, the wolves are eating so much that there is no longer a balance - I have no idea if it's true, BTW).

About a half-hour in, the religious stuff comes up -- "this country was founded on Christianity, and dominion over the animals is part of that," etc. And it continues throughout the rest of the film.

The case is made throughout that is it a "cultural war," and about states' rights, against the federal government and "The Left."

There is also lots of talk about preserving the history of conservation in the US, which they say has always been about good conditions for hunting and fishing (which may well be true, but, even if it was, does that mean it still has to be?).

There's lots of mocking of environmentalists, including someone "quoting" romanticized statements in a wimpy voice, over a shot of a very pregnant wolf carrying food in her mouth, and peeing.

Then they get into real scare tactics, quoting (?) environmentalists who say that humans are not even needed on the planet (or, at least, the way they are quoted makes it sound as if that's their belief).

There's a "you can't have if both ways" dig at evolution, along these lines -- if humans evolved to have advantages over animals, it means we are supposed to use those advantages. The coyote won't let the rabbit go due to morals, so why shouldn't we kill what is in our way? :?

Oh, and in a year and a half, he seems to have gotten very little actual footage of wolves -- the same shots come up over and over. We see that rotund pregnant wolf a lot.

I don't doubt that there may be problems, maybe even mismanagement or dishonesty, in a government program, whether it is local, state or federal, from liberals or conservatives.

But, as I said at the beginning, this film sure didn't educate me or sway me to their side of this argument!

Do they hate nature that badly?

doesn't the bible say that God made man from the earth? If you take it like that, that would make the earth our mother. And this documentary is desecrating our mother.

Do they hate nature that badly?

doesn't the bible say that God made man from the earth? If you take it like that, that would make the earth our mother. And this documentary is desecrating our mother.

Actually, there's some mockery of the idea of "mother earth," near the end of the film. I guess that whole "Adam=earth" bit in Genesis doesn't validate anything that remotely smacks of pantheism or paganism. :roll:

Actually, there's some mockery of the idea of "mother earth," near the end of the film. I guess that whole "Adam=earth" bit in Genesis doesn't validate anything that remotely smacks of pantheism or paganism. :roll:

Given the description of the "plot," I'd also venture that fundies are going into a movie like that with the heathen/wolf metaphor in their heads. Wolves eat sheep, baaa...baaa...baaaa.....

Here's the wolf film:

I haven't watched the film yet, but I think even the trailer was just as bigoted as ever:

Not surprising that this film is created by an 18 year old who basically wanted to use this film as a sort science assignment and turn into the SAICFF for a grade. I highly doubt that such "research" would hold much sway with the biologists that have worked their entire life in Yellowstone to track wolf behaviors and population trends. I think this clip (part of a Nat'l Geographic special, more available on youtube) gives us a much better idea of the issue at hand:

(Bear with me that some of the info might be a tad bit accurate, but I'm just using the tools and knowledge I have at hand. Any comments correcting my findings and thoughts are welcome)

What most of the ranchers and businessmen around Yellowstone don't understand about the populations in the park is that they have to be balanced according to the behaviors of each species. Big herds of bison and elk need to be cut down so that people aren't swamped by big herds walking in the open plains of the park (which has happened to me and my family in 2003 on a family trip. It's too easy to get panicked in a herd of 1000+ bison, they are huge and can get easily riled up). Likewise, most of the "extinction" efforts placed on the part of the wolf have come from the human side of hunting and simple pest control (to but things bluntly). It used to be that the simple overpopulation of wolves would drive them to starvation or to new hunting grounds, thus balancing out the predator-prey relationship. Bill Nye had a famous bit on wolf and deer populations and it works the same way with other prey in Yellowstone or in other areas where wolfs are protected. Alas, my search for it on youtube has yielded no results to share with other FJers.

On top of the population cycle, it seems weird that none of these ranchers never lament that they lose business because most American meat consumers cannot afford ranch cattle for beed and have to rely on slaughterhouse beef for consumption. This transition, however, was more prevalent in the 1970s and 1980s when meat corporations were buying each other out for the biggest piece of profit pie. It's not like this is Roger's and Hammerstein's "Oklahoma" where Curly makes a living driving cattle from Texas to Dodge City Kansas. It was because of our rampant behaviors of taming the land (either by ranching or farming) that Yellowstone was established in the first place. These fundies really ought to see Ken Burns "National Parks" before some high school senior decides to release a non-peer reviewed film on a topic he doesn't know about in his back yard. I would also recommend them to watch Food Inc since it might teach them a thing or two about how skewed our food system is in referring to the point above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf

Just skimming through the wikipedia article about the wolf is interesting. Just seeing the past and present map of wolf presence in NA and the rest of the world is interesting. It's also interesting to point out in the "Folklore and Mythology" section that the wolf was either worshipped in Japan or vilified in the Bible (13 times, the article states). I would love to see fundies being forced to watch Princess Mononoke sometime just to see how they react to how people who have never had civilization built around the Bible think about the world in which the movie is based. :o

Finally, I think most fundies or conservative xtians will turn almost any topic into a notch for the "culture war" just because they don't see why the government and scientists do what they have to do in order to make the present environment available for future generations. Like I said before, the founding of Yellowstone itself predates any "culture" war instigated in the wake of the "moral" majority and was founded for "the benefit and enjoyment of the people", a motto found on the main gate of the park. Who knows was this country would look like if this park wasn't established and people had the tenacity to do whatever they wanted with the land they thought was theirs?

Really -- it's like a "what not to watch" list.

I love the rather vague description, and was tempted to do a bit of editing. The original:

My edit:

So, other than the upper-case C, think they'll make any of my changes?

It's no doubt that they won't. I'm very amused in the way they worded the description like "piercing responses refuting modern compromise" and "confrontation" as if the whole apologetics wing of evangelicals and fundies have long been members of some "West Side Story"/James Dean street gang. I say "hip, hip hooray" to all those in the film who called Ray out on his BS...

Shouldn't "enquiries" be "inquiries"?

Did anyone else read this under the "Documentaries" category?

Rescued

Today, over 130 million children have lost one or both parents, and every 18 seconds, another child in the world becomes an orphan. In America, 114,000 children in the foster care system are currently waiting to be adopted, and an estimated 65,500 of those children have been adopted by homosexuals. These staggering statistics should cause Christians to ask some probing questions. What would Christ’s church look like if we acted upon James 1:27 which states that “Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.†Why is it that the church at large doesn’t talk much about adoption? How can the church come alongside families who have chosen to adopt? Do adoption and missions have a common thread? This film will attempt to answer those questions. The battle for the hearts and minds of these children is a battle against the forces of darkness. Adoption isn’t charity, it’s war.

Website for said film: http://rescuedthemovie.com/home/

:evil:

It's no doubt that they won't.

Dry humor -- I love it. C'mon -- don't you think they'd love my ideas? :lol:

I'm very amused in the way they worded the description like "piercing responses refuting modern compromise" and "confrontation" as if the whole apologetics wing of evangelicals and fundies have long been members of some "West Side Story"/James Dean street gang.

Sadly, the Jet Song doesn't need much change:

DOUGIE/RIFF: (Spoken) Against the Feminizis we need every man we got.

ACTION: (Spoken) Knight don't belong any more.

DOUGIE/RIFF: Cut it, Action boy. I and Knight are tight. Especially him.

ACTION: Well, he acts like he don't wanna belong.

BABY JOHN: Who wouldn't wanna belong to the VF?

ACTION: Knight ain't been with us for over a month.

SNOWBOY: What about the day we clobbered the Agnostics?

A-RAB: Which we couldn't have done without Knight.

BABY JOHN: He saved my ever-lovin' neck!

DOUGIE/RIFF: Right! He's always come through for us and he will now.

[sings]

When you're a tool,

You're a tool all the way

First day of homeschool

To your last dyin' day.

When you're a tool

If the faith hits the fan,

You got brothers around,

You're a family man!

You're never alone,

You're never disconnected!

You're home with your own:

When logic is expected,

You're well protected!

Then you are set

With a mouthful of bull,

Which you'll never forget

Till your quiver is full.

When you're a tool,

You stay a tool!

[spoken]: I know Knight like I know me. I guarantee you can count him in.

ACTION: In, out, let's get crackin'.

A-RAB: Where you gonna find the hags?

DOUGIE/RIFF: At FJ, just like always.

BIG DEAL: But the Internet's neutral territory.

RIFF: [innocently] I'm gonna make nice there! I'm only gonna challenge them.

A-RAB: Great, Daddy-O!

DOUGIE/RIFF: Easy. Sweet. Meet Knight and me at ten. And stand wide!

A-RAB: We always stand wide!

BABY JOHN: We're tools!

ACTION: The Christianest!

ALL [sing]:

When you're a tool,

You're the top cat in town,

You're the most Christian kid

Shooting all Catholics down!

When you're a tool,

All Dominionists sing:

Little boy, you're a man;

Little man, you're a king!

The tools are in gear,

Our cylinders are clickin'!

The Jews'll steer clear

And we can hope they sicken, on kosher chicken!

Here come the tools

Sending Mormons to hell.

And the atheists know,

That we all think they smell!

Here come the tools:

Moslem world, step aside!

Better go underground,

Better run, better hide!

We read KJV,

So keep your Bibles hidden!

Our women ain't free,

All feminisits forbidden

And we ain't kiddin'!

Here come the tools,

Yeah! And we're gonna beat

Ev'ry last buggin' faith

On the whole buggin' street!

On the whole!

Ever!

Mother!

Lovin'!

Street!

Yeah!

(edited because it's "King James Version," not "Kentucky Fried Version!" :lol:

That one about wolves looks ridiculous. I know that here in Europe there have been polemics concerning wolf reintroduction and attacks, but does everything need to be a conspiracy theory? It must be terrible to always live in fear. And what about St Francis of Assisi who loved natura and animals, including wolves? Oops, I forgot he was an ebul Catholic.

Just read all the information about the wolf movie. These people could find anti-Christian propaganda in a story about a puppy and a duckling who are best friends. Yeesh.

Archived