IGNORED

Live-blogging from a homeschooler event

MamaJunebug

I'm watching approx 100 Midwestern homeschoolers (number includes parents) at a cooperative event and to begin with, can't say I've spotted any of the celebrities we follow on FJ!

However, I'm so far very heartened by the fact that fewer than 1 lady in 4 is wearing a dumpy long skirt -- and there is only ONE frumper to be seen, and that's on a mom.

The rest of the females' dress is evenly divided between knee-length skirts and Blue Jeans!!

NO headcoverings.

*Maybe* 3 girls w hair below their waists. Most of the moms have shoulder- or chin-length styles and most of the daughters hair is shoulder-length.

I'd be pretty hard- pressed to pick any of the females out at the Piggly Wiggly as an extremist type!

Of course All the males look perfectly normal [sic].

Also, any pregnancies are in the very earliest stages, unlike when I attended a few min of the Serven nuptials and felt as tho I was in the 1950s baby boom era.

I like the basic idea of homeschooling so am delighted to see what I'm seeing!

Will be happy to answer any Q's that may occur to y'all. I'm going to try to survey nametags to see if any familiar ones jump out.

Mama Junebug, this sounds like a very unGodly homeschool association. I suggest you avert your eyes now and stop following, so that you aren't led into sin.

Holierthanyou, good luck w that -- some of these young men folks are this side of hot!!

Samurai, it seems to be non-religiously affiliated, and none of the names on the roster are familiar. But I'm still enjoying knowing that there are homeschoolers who are just real folks!

I am guessing its fundie lite. Most homeschoolers today are fundie lite. The super fundies and seculars are out on the ends.(less of us seculars than the super fundies, but we are growing) When demgirl and I saw the Maxwells it was all fundie lites with jeans and makeup. Only one super fundie family.

Now a days,cyber schools can be added into the mix so there can be some "regular" homeschoolers there you would not have seen even 5 years ago.

There are very few secular conventions in the US, my partner and I are thinking of hosting a Mid Atlantic one.

Just finished a nice long talk w one if the grande dames if the group (2 of her kids are at university and the youngest is halfway thriving school). It's a group thst gets together only for this activity ( I won't ssy what for my anonymity) and she seemed entirely shocked by my description of patrarchislidm. She ssys a few of the fans don't practice birth control but that there's only one w 11 kids.

Shd also ssys this particular group has a fluid membership and that fully a third here tonite are brand new to her.

She's pointed out a man who's sn employee of a local private school and homeschools his ken! She says, ."oh, there are a lot of those folks."

So doubt it's fundie anything and it's over!! Ill be en route for quite a while but any more Q's do ask. BTW there were no Prayers at any time. And several young women were heard to disagree w their dads and nothing happened!

I guess the point is: nothing happened! Ftom an extremist-watcher's POV. But as I said, I enjoyed Being reminded that homeschooling can & does work for Everyday people.

There are lots and lots and lots of non-religious homeschooling events, all the time, everywhere. Especially in big cities (I think you're near St. Louis?) You just have to know what to look for.

Archived