IGNORED

"I have to go to the thrift store, I KNOW theres a sale!"

FJismyheadship

Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with goodwill ESP!!!! I went there the other day - my gut said to to go to the one that's a little further from my house - and I found not one, but TWO pairs of Calvin Klien jeans, brand spankin' new and in my size. Actually, they're a size smaller than the jeans I bought last year (woot!), and these new jeans make my ass look like a million bucks. Not kidding. I paid $8 each for them...I was so excited I was shaking!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have thrift store ESP, but I had amazing good luck the first time my friend (who is a regular thrift store visitor) took me thrift store shopping. Hubby & I had previously decided that we needed another dresser for our bedroom, and I really wanted to get one that matched the existing bedroom set. The furniture store still sold this set, but a new matching dresser would cost something like $300.

As my friend & I were browsing the furniture in the thrift store, what do I find? THE DRESSER! That matches our set! For only $75!!! It had a few nicks and the one drawer stuck a little, but it was all stuff that we could fix. I was almost hyperventilating when I called my husband to tell him to meet us with the pick-up truck.

I broke my favorite bone china coffee cup today and its the only coffee cup I like. I am putting it out there I need a new one, but I think its going to be a week or 2 before I find it.

Sevy has holes in ALL of her jeans; here's hoping I find some good ones in her size on my trip to the local thrift stores. OT note: how the hell do kids wear out their clothes so quickly!? I had just bought those jeans in September... sigh.

Y'all are so lucky you have thrift store ESP...

it says that they save up for things, how do they do this, especially the younger ones? i thought they didn't get paid for their jurisdictions? :?

yeah shoe/skates seems a bit pointless to me :?

I believe one episode explained that they can do extra chores for money, which they don't get, Mom and dad just write in a ledger and the kids have to go to them and plead their case in order to acquire and spend their own money.

I broke my favorite bone china coffee cup today and its the only coffee cup I like. I am putting it out there I need a new one, but I think its going to be a week or 2 before I find it.

Try TJ Maxx. My husband has a thing for bone china coffee cups, and we find them there a lot.

I would cry if I broke my favorite coffee cup. It has a squashed fairy on the bottom and nice thick walls.

My favorite mug has a gnawed-on cartoon tree with a fat old beaver (the rodent kind, lol) with her dentures stuck to said tree. It reads "Getting old sucks"

I wouldn't be surprised if JimBoob put a GPS tracker(a used one of course) in the car so he knows at all times where the girls are. Kinda like the Weasley clock.

Subject:

Try TJ Maxx. My husband has a thing for bone china coffee cups, and we find them there a lot.

I was just at TJ yesterday, I forgot they have them. I had 2 bone china coffee cups on Monday. My kids broke one 2 days ago and I broke the other today. Both I got for .25 a Goodwill. I cannot drink out of thick mugs, I spill it all over the place and drip it down the sides.

Even if Jim Boob put a GPS on the car, I'm betting that if she wanted to, Jinger could find away to get around that. At least, that's what I'm hoping!

And the trick to good thrifting, IMHO, is being willing to have a few bad days. And be willing to dig through everything. I found a brand new set of canisters the other day; it was only missing one of the metal spoons. Sure enough, I found it in the section off to the left of it. :) And at least in my area, the Goodwill stores get castoffs from Target, tags still on. Sometimes you can kindly ask the manager what days those shipments come in and then go on that day and get the best stuff.

And, if you're willing to do a bit of work, you have a bigger variety of clothing and furniture to look at.

and besides, aren't most thrift stores staffed by retiree's ?

Not necessarily. Some definitely are. But the Savers by my house has a lady with some amazing tattoo-work AND an incredibly defrauding rocker boy. I fall in love with him every time I go. :romance-inlove:

I'm so over the "OMG. My kids all love pickles! Isn't that the cutest little quirk ever!? They even spend pocket money on pickles!" Yeah, whatever.

That made me want pickles.

Consumer consciousness fail.

SAVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one I like best is in North Little Rock, and they have 99 cent day. One time I bought a leather skirt (full legnth) the original tag was like 100 dollars. The savers tag was 30... BUT it was the right colored tag so I got it for 99 cents.

The one in Little Rock sucks. Its a Gucci Savers. Why? They were actually selling jeans for 60 dollars or more. I was appalled. AND no 99 cent day. SO when I am in Little Rock, I take the extra time to go out to NLR to pick stuff up from Savers. NO thrift store that I know of should EVER have 60 dollar jeans. Its called a thrift store for a reason. Those had better been some 500 dollar jeans or something lol

I really need to find someone willing to go for me and buy me cute things so I don't have to be so Savers Starved all the time lol

Sinister Rouge I have a big jar of ginormous pickles. You are welcome to come over and have one :D Or ten.

Sinister Rouge I have a big jar of ginormous pickles. You are welcome to come over and have one :D Or ten.

I love you for this.

All I have are "sweet gherkins" and I don't know how they got in my fridge and I can't bring myself to try one.

Blech.

Be there in 5! ;)

I have ebay esp for dansko clogs. I know that I have to go onto ebay on certain days and look for them. I can usually find barley worn ones for less then $50. I got one pair this month that was $30 and another pair for $40. The $40 pair will be used for interviews and the $30 pair is for every day. I have little feet size 35 so its easy to find them on ebay but no thrift stores.

I have ebay esp for dansko clogs. I know that I have to go onto ebay on certain days and look for them. I can usually find barley worn ones for less then $50. I got one pair this month that was $30 and another pair for $40. The $40 pair will be used for interviews and the $30 pair is for every day. I have little feet size 35 so its easy to find them on ebay but no thrift stores.

I get Dansko's at Goodwill! I currently have 4 pair(I had 5,gave one away) and all were $4 except the first pair I got as a gift. I will buy them just because they are Dansko's and find someone who can fit into them. I am great with brand name shoe finding,its my speciality.

Ok I'm beside myself. I must post todays score. I was a bit over budget but a good deal is a good deal. I went to a consignment/used clothing store run my a couple of Hippy girls I know. They routinely let me go into 'the back room' which is filled floor to ceiling. I found a magnificent beaded cut silk velvet tunic from the twenties, and a pair of black armadillo Dan Post cowboy boots (hardly worn, wide width). They charged me $60 for the lot and threw in a lovely bustier that goes with a kimono I bought from them last fall.

This was an unplanned shopping trip, but I was lunching with a clothes horse friend of mine who cannot walk by the place without dropping a benjamin. She got a pair of knee high Bruno Magli boots taupe with an olive cast, spikes with a low front platform and mitered toes for $40.

Ok I'm beside myself. I must post todays score. I was a bit over budget but a good deal is a good deal. I went to a consignment/used clothing store run my a couple of Hippy girls I know. They routinely let me go into 'the back room' which is filled floor to ceiling. I found a magnificent beaded cut silk velvet tunic from the twenties, and a pair of black armadillo Dan Post cowboy boots (hardly worn, wide width). They charged me $60 for the lot and threw in a lovely bustier that goes with a kimono I bought from them last fall.

This was an unplanned shopping trip, but I was lunching with a clothes horse friend of mine who cannot walk by the place without dropping a benjamin. She got a pair of knee high Bruno Magli boots taupe with an olive cast, spikes with a low front platform and mitered toes for $40.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh,do you have a fashion blog? I would like to see these things. :dance: I have one but I haven't posted much fashion in a while...

No fashion blog. I like good things cheap :D Textiles and fine clothing are a passion of mine. After being stuck in a suit or coveralls most of my working life I'm really enjoying clothing again. This time of year I wear kilts, cowboy boots and big Irish or Kowachin sweaters. Ok its youthful for an old bag but I can pull it off. :lol:

As for Jinger, my guess is a combo of 2 and 3 - maybe she just wants to get out, maybe there's a Starbucks next to the Goodwill with a cute barista.

ITS WITCHERY AND SATANISM!!!!

YOU AND JINGER BURNED AT THE STAKE!!! ARRR *Suddenly goes pirate for some reason* lol... :twisted:

Of course you've gone pirate - that is the voice of our beloved god The Flying Spaghetti Monster speaking through you!

I have a feeling I will get some awesome deals at the thrift store on Monday.

That happens to be half-price day, so my intuition has a good chance of being right.

I get Dansko's at Goodwill! I currently have 4 pair(I had 5,gave one away) and all were $4 except the first pair I got as a gift. I will buy them just because they are Dansko's and find someone who can fit into them. I am great with brand name shoe finding,its my speciality.

My goodwill sells danskos for between $25 and $40 a pair depending on how they look. I wish I could find them for $4 a pair. They would make great gifts.

Archived