IGNORED

Seven Sisters share a bed!!!!

Daenerys

Saying "no hard feelings" does not dictate what others can feel. So you aren't harboring any hard feelings - doesn't mean others can't/don't. (Telling people how to feel is a pet peeve.)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My attitude is consistent with all of them. They're all grown women and they can walk out of those prisons houses any time they want. Some will argue that they are brainwashed and that they have no free will. I don't buy that. Yes, I think they're drinking the kool-aid, but it's not like they have a kool-aid IV. I think part of it is that they don't want to risk their parents' ire and they don't want to leave their comfy, secure existences. Look at all that Razing Ruth has had to go through, all the financial insecurity and stress. They're not signing up for that, and I get that. But the victimhood thing only goes so far. And that goes for Sarah Maxwell and any other adult woman who is choosing to live under their father's authority. And yes, I think it is a choice, as very, very few people are that sheltered that they have no inkling they have other choices.

I save my empathy for the children who truly have no choices.

Yes, they don't want to risk their parents' ire, but more than that, they have no where to turn (or, they think they have no where to turn) should they fail on their own. They don't know the ways of the world, they have a limited education, and they don't know how to support themselves. They probably fear that no fundie boy would want them if they left, and they probably think they wouldn't want a non-fundie boy. The thought of losing their home, their family, their friends, etc., it's all daunting.

So.....Sarah Maxwell has never (to my knowledge) expressed unhappiness with her situation. She just has very sad eyes in photographs of her. The seven sisters seem all happy and cheery, but one sister has mentioned wanting to die so that she can be free and travel.

Yet, we view Sarah as miserable (Free poor Sarah!), and the consensus appears to be that the seven sisters are happy with their lives, so there's no hue and cry to free them (or at least free the older ones).

Why??

Once a grown woman is trapped living a little girl's life under the control of her father, there's not much difference between ages 25 and 30, so why such a different attitude toward these 2 SAHD's?

My attitude toward both is the same. I think Sarah M. is more controlled by her dad, whereas the Seven Sisters are more restrained by their lifestyle and 'choices' than by authority or threat, but the situations are similar. I want the Seven Sisters, or at least the elder ones, freed too. I think it's okay for 24 and 25-year olds to live with their parents, but they need to expand their horizons and stop living like they're twelve. And I think they're not being given that opportunity.

I don't think the bed-sharing, if it's what they want, is that big a deal. There are plenty of reasons they might simply like sharing a bed with each other, and I don't think that's necessarily wrong. What bothers me is that it seems symptomatic of other issues, namely the lack of autonomy and self that they have in their family, in that they don't even have their own space to sleep. Did they really choose to share a bed? Or have they been conditioned to spend every moment with one another and never explore themselves, emotionally or physically? And are they emotionally mature for their age? I think not, and all of these things are the real issue, of which bed-sharing might be a symptom.

Considered another way, in mainstream culture children generally move out of the parental home when they become adults, either for college/uni or because they're financially independent. Fundie girls move out of the parental home when they marry, so in their mid-twenties they are, in the family culture, similar to teenage daughters in a 'normal' family. I would be horrified if such parents forced their teenage daughters to share a bed, but wouldn't find it odd if two teenage sisters, with their own interests and personalities, preferred to share a bed than have two separate beds in one room.

Yup, this.

I have a story about something that happened when I shared a bed with a friend on vacation. The worrying about bumping people while sharing a bed reminded me!

We were sharing a double bed, I think. It was not weird or anything and I was kind of tossing and turning trying to get to sleep. Somehow, I thought that I was facing the edge of the bed when I was actually facing my friend, so I stretched my foot out to stick it off the bed...and instead kicked my friend right on the butt!

She didn't act like she noticed, so maybe she was asleep and I didn't kick too hard! I just rolled away and silently went :shock: and then eventually went to sleep!

According to the bible one is allowed to keep slaves.....

Well they would if they could. Oh wait they don't need to...they have eldest daughters.

wuf7lh.jpg

There are 4, count 'em, 4 in this bed cake. The horror! The horror!

And look what having that many did to the poor teddy bear. He has to cover his eyes from all the pillow sharing and butt bumping.

I have a story about something that happened when I shared a bed with a friend on vacation. The worrying about bumping people while sharing a bed reminded me!

We were sharing a double bed, I think. It was not weird or anything and I was kind of tossing and turning trying to get to sleep. Somehow, I thought that I was facing the edge of the bed when I was actually facing my friend, so I stretched my foot out to stick it off the bed...and instead kicked my friend right on the butt!

She didn't act like she noticed, so maybe she was asleep and I didn't kick too hard! I just rolled away and silently went :shock: and then eventually went to sleep!

One time one of my really good friends had a few too many glasses of wine. I was in an apartment and had a double and said "dude, just stay over, no big". We both woke up in the middle of the night, our noses practically touching. We both let out a yelp and then started giggling hysterically. :D

Archived