IGNORED

Seven Sisters share a bed!!!!

Daenerys

I'm sorry polabear but I have never heard such bizarre things in my life. Choosing to sleep with your sis over your husband? I don't know I'm just not from that way of life and I find it really strange.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes to an extent that would apply to me as well, however it is just sooo old fashioned (we're talking over 100 years ago) if I lived in that room I would feel like electricity hadn't been invented yet and my horse and carriage was waiting for me. My tastes only go back about 30 years tops. Perusing their website is like stepping back in time - far back. Way too far back for me. Why don't they like this century? Nothing about them says that they like anything after 1910.

Good point - I love the patchwork pillows, the shade of the walls, the borders and the subtle lighting... but I would want my Kindle, laptop and mobile phone on the bedside cabinet :lol:

We only see each other a few times a year, so its not an every weekend thing. :) We actually shared a bed the night before I got married, until I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep and my legs kept jerking around. So I went and slept on the couch.

My sister and I shared a big chunk of our childhood sharing a bed. We even spent a year in a fold out bed after we moved into a new house, and was waiting for our rooms in the basement to be finished. The only issue is that she's a MASSIVE bed and blanket hog. Sometimes I'd drag all the blankets off the bed and sleep in the closet.....

OMDog, you just totaly brought to mind a story a former co-worker told us one time. The guy's name was Eddie, he was one of only two gentlemen in our group of 15. The other 5 guys were jerques of the first order.

Anyhow, Eddie had grown up this side of poor, and had to share a bed with one or the other of his brothers as he came up. Time came when he had to share with a brother who could've been called "Moose." Moose was big and intimidating in his waking hours and big and ... trouble, when he slept. One night, Eddie woke up to Moose really thrashing around in his sleep. Moose kicked off the covers, thrashed some more, somehow rolled to the edge of the bed and then .... Eddie swore this was true ...

... still fast asleep, Moose lifted up the mattress of the full-size bed and wedged himself between it and the boxsprings. Moose sandwich: mattress, Moose, boxsprings. Meanwhile, tiny little Eddie is clinging to the upper edge of the mattress, trying not to roll down the steep precipice made by the mattress set on an angle, no covers, trying to figure out what to do.

Eventually he skidded to the floor, where he wrapped himself up in the tangled covers and fell back asleep. He woke to find his brother, Moose, standing over him, yawning and saying, "Man, what're you doing, sleeping on the floor??" Eddie tried to explain what had happened but Moose wasn't hearing any of it. Didn't faze Moose in the least to have awakened with the mattress upon him.

Eddie and I both quit the corporation and I tried to Google him a couple months ago and came up with nothing, which surprised the heck out of me. But I'm digressing!!! The story of Moose and Eddie and the mattress is one for the ages, IMHO. :D

To the appearance of the 1st & 2nd Sisters' room, I love it. Spare, still elegant, historic. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to find out that other than at Christmastime, it's your typical SAHDs' tchotchke'd-up dorm. ;)

We only see each other a few times a year, so its not an every weekend thing. :) We actually shared a bed the night before I got married, until I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep and my legs kept jerking around. So I went and slept on the couch.

OK, I just have never in my life slept with a woman before (men yes) and I can't even imagine it. Being a woman I would just not be able to do it. I'd rather sleep in the bathtub than sleep with another woman. It's beyond my ability to even comprehend it.

... still fast asleep, Moose lifted up the mattress of the full-size bed and wedged himself between it and the boxsprings. Moose sandwich: mattress, Moose, boxsprings. Meanwhile, tiny little Eddie is clinging to the upper edge of the mattress, trying not to roll down the steep precipice made by the mattress set on an angle, no covers, trying to figure out what to do.

Eventually he skidded to the floor, where he wrapped himself up in the tangled covers and fell back asleep. He woke to find his brother, Moose, standing over him, yawning and saying, "Man, what're you doing, sleeping on the floor??" Eddie tried to explain what had happened but Moose wasn't hearing any of it. Didn't faze Moose in the least to have awakened with the mattress upon him.

At some point in our child hood, we had bunk beds. As the older, I insisted on having the top bunk, despite being afraid of heights and having a bad sleep walking/night terror problem. Well, one night, I fall out of bed, apparently landing on my face. This does not wake me up - I apparently get up and crawl into my sister's bunk. My sister doesn't wake up either. My mom, hearing the thunk, comes to investigate and finds the two of us in the same bunk, covered in blood. This was quite a shock, apparently. The bunk beds were separated at that point.

(I had gotten a bloody nose from falling out of bed.)

OK, I just have never in my life slept with a woman before (men yes) and I can't even imagine it. Being a woman I would just not be able to do it. I'd rather sleep in the bathtub than sleep with another woman. It's beyond my ability to even comprehend it.

Not even with your mother? I slept in my parents' bed all the time growing up. I don't have a sister, but I don't think it would be weird to share with a sibling. I've shared beds with my brother before. I prefer a single bed, but if circumstance led me to share with a relative, I don't think I'd care whether the relative was male or female.

My sister and I shared a big chunk of our childhood sharing a bed. We even spent a year in a fold out bed after we moved into a new house, and was waiting for our rooms in the basement to be finished. The only issue is that she's a MASSIVE bed and blanket hog. Sometimes I'd drag all the blankets off the bed and sleep in the closet.

When I went to college, it was hard to sleep, because I was so used to listening to her snore. I still can't sleep unless I'm on the very edge of whatever bed I'm in. We tend to sleep in the same bed when we're together, depending on where we are. On her last visit to me, we conked out in my bed, and my poor husband had to go sleep in his son's room. If we don't sleep in the same bed, whoever gets up first tends to crawl into the other person's bed. Now that she has a son, we have big bed snuggles.

I did not realize this was weird until now. I love that room, except I hate pink. So I'd have gone with blue.

I don't think this is that weird, so maybe I'm weird, too. Whatever. :D Diff'rent strokes, you know! It's all good.

I have twin sons and I'm not going to say how long they found a way to sleep in the same bed, starting when they were both in cribs. Suffice it to say it was a looonnnnng time.

See that I think is weird! I didn't share a bed with siblings, but I shared a bed with team mates in college when traveling, with friends as adults, with my sister in law, mother and mother in law. I can't really understand thinking that is so wrong, weird, whatever that you couldn't do it.

I don't think I could sleep with another adult now (other than my husband), but then I am one of those people that requires tons of personal space. If I were completely honest, I would rather my husband and I have our own rooms. That *might* make me a little nutty. Does it? N/M, don't tell me! lol

THIS. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about this, in that I don't think it's perverted or in and of itself indicates anything unhealthy. Where I'm from, many people in their 20s still live at home (I'm 24 and moved out at 18 but most of my friends and peers still live with parents, and it's considered very normal) and I guess if you live in a small house with lots of people, sharing a bed may be a necessity, or something you just like (I know nobody who does that, but hey).

HOWEVER, with the Seven Sisters it is a symptom of the crazy infantilization of these women. You know, we've talked on here before about why, if fundies are so sure they've found THE RIGHT WAY TO LIVE, they don't let their kids make their own choices freely, and concluded that they need to terrorize their children and keep them away from the world (such as censor the Internet) to keep them in the mold. I think the Seven Sisters are an example of people who are so indoctrinated, so infantilized, that they genuinely make these choices that restrict their freedom.

They always seem so childishly cheery and happy about what mommy and daddy allow them to do, and have little sewing groups and art groups and awww, look, I made a little X for my sister! Smileyface! And yet at the same time it sounds like they're less sheltered than other fundies, because they do have some friends who don't wear frumpers (like the girl in T-shirt and jeans who visited them) and seem to have relative freedom to browse Youtube and so on. Nonetheless, they are so used to this lifestyle, and convinced they are WAY younger than they are, that they make the choice not to go out there and do new things.

This bed-sharing may similarly be their own choice. But in the case of girls who grew up this way, that doesn't mean that it's a free choice, or that there's nothing wrong with it.

All of this!

I would find it odd for siblings in their mid-twenties to choose to share a bed, but if it was truly freely chosen, I wouldn't have much problem with it. But I get the feeling that fundie daughters never really get to freely choose anything.

See that I think is weird! I didn't share a bed with siblings, but I shared a bed with team mates in college when traveling, with friends as adults, with my sister in law, mother and mother in law. I can't really understand thinking that is so wrong, weird, whatever that you couldn't do it.

Me, too. I have slept with all those same people (cousins, college roommates, momma, my sister, my SIL, various friends, etc. Just not my MIL, b/c she probably would have murdered me in my sleep!) I'm traveling to Ireland with my best friend this summer and we plan to just have one room everywhere we stay, and we naturally assume that in some places, there will be just one bed. We'll save the lodging money and spend it on exploring or other fun things!

I have shared a bed with my mother, my younger brother (when we were like 2 and 4), a couple of friends during sleepovers, my ex boyfriend (both when we were just friends and when we were together) my grandmother, one of my aunts, and so on. I could probably share a bed today with most of my friends if it was the only way to go. I visited with my best friend since 4th grade last year and wound up sleeping in her bed. Nothing ever happened with family or friends. So really, I don't think it matters... as long as both parties are comfortable with it, who cares?

I don't think I could sleep with another adult now (other than my husband), but then I am one of those people that requires tons of personal space. If I were completely honest, I would rather my husband and I have our own rooms. That *might* make me a little nutty. Does it? N/M, don't tell me! lol

I was single 16 years before remarrying. I hated sharing a bed and a bedroom with my headship. Although like other posters here I've shared beds with cousins and friends when necessary. Never shared a bed with a sibling (all male) or parental units. Single again, I love having my own bed and room.

I don't think sharing a bed is a big deal. When I was a kid, I'd have anxiety attacks at night and often climb into bed with my mom. There are a lot of reasons people might sleep together.

In this specific case, though, I think the sleeping together just adds to the overall picture. It's not just the fact that they sleep together. It's that their siblings are their only friends...that they don't seem to have their own hobbies, goals, and dreams...that they seem to be kept as little girls instead of grown women. So, no, two sisters sleeping together isn't strange by itself. But two grown-up sisters who share the same bed, do everything together, never get privacy, and have little desire to see the rest of the world...that's what is weird to me.

Is it certain that they sleep side by side in a single bed, or could they have a trundle? If they moved the chair Leah re-covered, it looks like there would be plenty of room for one.

When my sister and I shared a room, I slept on a trundle bed that was pushed in during the day. Later, our parents bought us bunk beds.

Americans are so damned spoiled. Good grief even when I went to college in 1980 LOTS of girls had shared a double bed with a sister....Not the end of the world.

Plus they're learning to deny themselves a comfortable nights sleep before they inconvenience a husband!!!

In the late Middle Ages and right through the Renaissance in some parts of Europe, it was considered a sad and unusual thing for someone to sleep alone. There's a lot of interesting information about this in At Day's Close by Ekirch. I recall especially a pitiful story about a noblewoman who didn't even have a maidservant who could sleep with her--because her "maidservant" was married? Or the noblewoman was too poor to have a personal servant? I don't recall--and so she taught her parrot to talk, so that she wouldn't feel so all alone in the night.

BUT--We're talking big beds here. BIG beds. And, you know, a culture that is 500 years different from ours, so.

Two grown women crammed into a bed that is sized for one teenager when they can afford better just says "We don't realize that we're actually adults."

My mom is one of 11 kids,9 girls. She shared a bed with 3 other sisters growing up in very rural upstate NY so the SS have it good as far as she would be concerned.

That *might* make me a little nutty.

Nope. So long as everybody involved is happy with the arrangements, your sleeping habits aren't any big deal. And really, although we use the term "sleeping together" as a euphemism for sex, you don't have to literally sleep in the same bed, room, or even house with somebody to have a fulfilling romantic and/or sexual relationship with them. (Although I would think it's pretty odd for a happily married couple to live in separate houses without a very compelling reason such as an ill family member who needs round-the-clock care. And really, that's my cultural lenses showing. There are, I'm told, some cultures where married couples don't habitually live together. She lives with her folks, he lives with his, and they visit with each other.)

Not even with your mother? I slept in my parents' bed all the time growing up. I don't have a sister, but I don't think it would be weird to share with a sibling. I've shared beds with my brother before. I prefer a single bed, but if circumstance led me to share with a relative, I don't think I'd care whether the relative was male or female.

Are you kidding me, my parents? I remember being very small toddling into their room to climb in bed with them and I was QUICKLY returned to my own bed. A couple of times I slept outside of their bedroom door on the floor - knowing better than to try the bed again. By the time I was 4 I was a lone sleeper in my bed in my room period. I grew up, moved out on my own before I was 20 and enjoyed every minute of being on my own, occasionally sleeping with a boyfriend. When I got married it was an easy adjustment to sleeping with my husband, but I could never ever sleep with a relative, no way no how.

Americans are so damned spoiled. Good grief even when I went to college in 1980 LOTS of girls had shared a double bed with a sister....Not the end of the world.

Plus they're learning to deny themselves a comfortable nights sleep before they inconvenience a husband!!!

Americans are so damned spoiled? Really? LOL, jealous much?

Are you kidding me, my parents? I remember being very small toddling into their room to climb in bed with them and I was QUICKLY returned to my own bed. A couple of times I slept outside of their bedroom door on the floor - knowing better than to try the bed again. By the time I was 4 I was a lone sleeper in my bed in my room period. I grew up, moved out on my own before I was 20 and enjoyed every minute of being on my own, occasionally sleeping with a boyfriend. When I got married it was an easy adjustment to sleeping with my husband, but I could never ever sleep with a relative, no way no how.

I guess it depends on the family! I don't think my parents got to spend many nights alone when my brother and I were little. My brother especially was scared of the dark and prone to nightmares. One or both of us usually ended up in their bed before morning.

Archived