IGNORED

Seven Sisters share a bed!!!!

Daenerys

Of all the things about the sisters, I honestly think the bed sharing is the least snarkable thing about them. I don't really see much wrong with it, if that's what they want. Sure there isn't much privacy in sharing a bed, but even if they were in single beds, but in the same room, there still wouldn't be that much privacy. I couldn't imagine wanting to masturbate while someone else was in the same room, even if they were sleeping.

I love the throw they have on the bed. The room is a bit Victorian in style, but I do like some of it. Personally I would tone it down a little, but keep the overall theme.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like it's a part of making them dependent on each other and sublimating their identity. They do EVERYTHING as this big group: they share clothes, they don't have their own personal space, they don't even go to the supermarket alone... it makes them unlikely to flee if being part of the group is all that they know.

And we know from her writing that Jane Austen was such a great proponent of the culture of her time...

Yes, I never understand why Jane Austen is so popular among fundies.

^^ Totally concur. It seems to me all this is so much about the parents not wanting to despoil the daughters. They are practically eunuchs, mainly because the patriarch or matriarch can't handle the idea they'd have sex. And they want to keep them at home forever.

I almost wish they'd marry them off so at least they could experience a tiny bit of autonomy. They don't know the harsh realities. They are just so infantalised.

It's almost unbiblical..but then it does say in the Bible if you can't be single get married but single is best. Maybe they work off that theory.

According to the bible one is allowed to keep slaves.....

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I never understand why Jane Austen is so popular among fundies.

They don't understand irony. And they are defrauded by Colin Firth.

It does seem to me that these people lose all respect for women once they start having sex. I mean, look at Ron Williams and his strange woman philosophy, or the whole courtship idea that you shouldn't even think about sex before marriage and if you do you're like, oh what is the analogy they use, a piece of chewed gum or something? If they spend that much time and effort drilling it into their minds that sexual activity is a shameful thing for a woman, then starting a family equals instant loss of respect. Given that it makes sense why none of them would ever want their daughters to marry, why would they subject them to the loss of respect, even the shame of having to become sexual?

It does seem to me that these people lose all respect for women once they start having sex. I mean, look at Ron Williams and his strange woman philosophy, or the whole courtship idea that you shouldn't even think about sex before marriage and if you do you're like, oh what is the analogy they use, a piece of chewed gum or something? If they spend that much time and effort drilling it into their minds that sexual activity is a shameful thing for a woman, then starting a family equals instant loss of respect. Given that it makes sense why none of them would ever want their daughters to marry, why would they subject them to the loss of respect, even the shame of having to become sexual?

Well, back to Victorian times, they even adjusted their hideous bedroom to this era.

By the time Mary & Laura were 24 & 25 years old they lived elsewhere and Laura had a husband and a kid, or was at least working on the kid (I am not up my my LIW life timeline).

As with/for the other examples all being given, poor(er) families had their children share beds; kids chose to share beds; it worked in families with many kids and not a ton of space. How many of your mom's/aunt's/grandparents were sharing beds in their mid-20's with their siblings?

My mother in laws family wasn't poor, she just grew up in the depression and then WWII so it was just very expected to conserve everything, beds and space included, she got married at 20 so she didn't share until her mid twenties. However I think it is safe to assume based on knowing her that her that had they not gotten married in their early twenties they probably would have moved out together and shared a bed. Her sister is three years older than her so she was 23 and sharing a bed.

Of all the things fundies do...sharing a bed seems pretty innocuous,

I also found it weird when perusing the blog that the older sister calls her mother mommy. I guess its ok....its just....

I get that she loves her family and they love her and all but she can't stay young forever.

I wouldn't like to think they will be Seven Spinster Sisters, although the only older sisters I knew who shared a room with twin beds ended up just that.

Would the parents prefer spinsterism to marital sex?? No really would they?

Actually, I really think they would. Allowing them to get married means the parents would no longer have *complete* control over their lives. Maybe their husbands will tell them to do different things than the parents want them to, and of course, Husband's word trumps Parents. I think that's most of the problem... For any of them to ever get married (barring running away), it would have to be to someone that agreed 100% with their father on every "important" issue, and was willing to let his in-laws run his life and tell him and his wife how to live. So yes... the Seven Spinsters for sure.

They don't understand irony. And they are defrauded by Colin Firth.

I am SOOOO defrauded by Colin Firth :D And I love the Jane Austen books, they are very sarcastically snarky of their own time era. :-D

I really had no idea adult sisters shared a bed in this century. If they have been living this way their entire lives I think they may have grown on each other so much by now (like an old married couple) that the likelihood of either one of them wanting something different is very small. If they have been sharing a bed for 20 plus years it only reminds me of someone who has been married, or living together with someone, for over 20 years. Separating them now would be like a divorce in a way, traumatic somewhat. How will they move on to sleeping with a husband? Their husband will be nothing like their sister (probably) and the change will be too great I think.

And we know from her writing that Jane Austen was such a great proponent of the culture of her time...

Her feelings about her culture notwithstanding, there is a surviving letter in which one of the sisters writes to the other about how much she misses having her company in bed. It's entirely sentimental and affectionate and TTBOMK neither snarky nor lustful.

IOW, sharing a bed wasn't a bad thing in times past, and some sisters enjoyed it. (Each to their own. Given my own druthers, my The Spousal Unit would have a fullsize bed on the other side of the nightstnad from my fullsize bed. The throw rug between the beds would be well trampled-upon, but we'd each have our own sleeping space to occupy. ;) TMI? the Juniors would say, "Ma, TMI!")

I almost wish they'd marry them off so at least they could experience a tiny bit of autonomy. They don't know the harsh realities. They are just so infantalised.

I hope they don't marry them off because I think they have more fun, hobbies, "fellowship", and even autonomy (decorating their bedroom they way they like) than they ever would once they marry It will be all drudgery and work and deferring to a husband's wishes. Seems better to put off the harsh realities as long as possible. (I do wish they could at least have a queen-sized bed, though!)

Well, as is said here often, just because it was done in the past doesn't make it best. In the past a lot of things were done out of necessity and/or no other option or not knowing any better.

On the other hand, just because many people today don't do this doesn't make the way we do things the best either. Who knows what our great-grandkids will think?

If they're happy sharing a bed AND they'd be able to stop doing that if they chose, I don't think it's anybody's concern but theirs. Of all the things going on with them, this isn't what I'm going to worry about. Or even snark about. It seems like a real non-issue to me.

I don't think the bed-sharing, if it's what they want, is that big a deal. There are plenty of reasons they might simply like sharing a bed with each other, and I don't think that's necessarily wrong. What bothers me is that it seems symptomatic of other issues, namely the lack of autonomy and self that they have in their family, in that they don't even have their own space to sleep. Did they really choose to share a bed? Or have they been conditioned to spend every moment with one another and never explore themselves, emotionally or physically? And are they emotionally mature for their age? I think not, and all of these things are the real issue, of which bed-sharing might be a symptom.

Considered another way, in mainstream culture children generally move out of the parental home when they become adults, either for college/uni or because they're financially independent. Fundie girls move out of the parental home when they marry, so in their mid-twenties they are, in the family culture, similar to teenage daughters in a 'normal' family. I would be horrified if such parents forced their teenage daughters to share a bed, but wouldn't find it odd if two teenage sisters, with their own interests and personalities, preferred to share a bed than have two separate beds in one room.

I don't think the bed-sharing, if it's what they want, is that big a deal. There are plenty of reasons they might simply like sharing a bed with each other, and I don't think that's necessarily wrong. What bothers me is that it seems symptomatic of other issues, namely the lack of autonomy and self that they have in their family, in that they don't even have their own space to sleep. Did they really choose to share a bed? Or have they been conditioned to spend every moment with one another and never explore themselves, emotionally or physically? And are they emotionally mature for their age? I think not, and all of these things are the real issue, of which bed-sharing might be a symptom..

THIS. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong about this, in that I don't think it's perverted or in and of itself indicates anything unhealthy. Where I'm from, many people in their 20s still live at home (I'm 24 and moved out at 18 but most of my friends and peers still live with parents, and it's considered very normal) and I guess if you live in a small house with lots of people, sharing a bed may be a necessity, or something you just like (I know nobody who does that, but hey).

HOWEVER, with the Seven Sisters it is a symptom of the crazy infantilization of these women. You know, we've talked on here before about why, if fundies are so sure they've found THE RIGHT WAY TO LIVE, they don't let their kids make their own choices freely, and concluded that they need to terrorize their children and keep them away from the world (such as censor the Internet) to keep them in the mold. I think the Seven Sisters are an example of people who are so indoctrinated, so infantilized, that they genuinely make these choices that restrict their freedom.

They always seem so childishly cheery and happy about what mommy and daddy allow them to do, and have little sewing groups and art groups and awww, look, I made a little X for my sister! Smileyface! And yet at the same time it sounds like they're less sheltered than other fundies, because they do have some friends who don't wear frumpers (like the girl in T-shirt and jeans who visited them) and seem to have relative freedom to browse Youtube and so on. Nonetheless, they are so used to this lifestyle, and convinced they are WAY younger than they are, that they make the choice not to go out there and do new things.

This bed-sharing may similarly be their own choice. But in the case of girls who grew up this way, that doesn't mean that it's a free choice, or that there's nothing wrong with it.

I really had no idea adult sisters shared a bed in this century. If they have been living this way their entire lives I think they may have grown on each other so much by now (like an old married couple) that the likelihood of either one of them wanting something different is very small. If they have been sharing a bed for 20 plus years it only reminds me of someone who has been married, or living together with someone, for over 20 years. Separating them now would be like a divorce in a way, traumatic somewhat. How will they move on to sleeping with a husband? Their husband will be nothing like their sister (probably) and the change will be too great I think.

My mother in law managed fine.

Exactly. The 7 sisters are so cloistered they will think they chose it.

:clap: :clap: Hit the nail right on the head there, I agree 100%

Mmmmm yes, up to a point. But I don't really follow trends or fashions, if something takes my fancy then I buy it regardless if it is up to date or not.

Meh. I don't find the specter of siblings of any age sharing a bed to be particularly disturbing. Some families are just different from others. Look at nudity: there's a whole big spectrum of what's normal in families, from family members who never see each other unless everybody is fully clothed to families where it's not a big deal to see one another in underwear or even in the nude from time to time. We all bring our biases to these sorts of issues based on our upbringings, I think.

I do think every person/child should have their own space where they can be alone and think or read or just get away, but I'm not concerned if every person doesn't have his/her own bed, I guess.

Mmmmm yes, up to a point. But I don't really follow trends or fashions, if something takes my fancy then I buy it regardless if it is up to date or not.

Yes to an extent that would apply to me as well, however it is just sooo old fashioned (we're talking over 100 years ago) if I lived in that room I would feel like electricity hadn't been invented yet and my horse and carriage was waiting for me. My tastes only go back about 30 years tops. Perusing their website is like stepping back in time - far back. Way too far back for me. Why don't they like this century? Nothing about them says that they like anything after 1910.

My sister and I shared a big chunk of our childhood sharing a bed. We even spent a year in a fold out bed after we moved into a new house, and was waiting for our rooms in the basement to be finished. The only issue is that she's a MASSIVE bed and blanket hog. Sometimes I'd drag all the blankets off the bed and sleep in the closet.

When I went to college, it was hard to sleep, because I was so used to listening to her snore. I still can't sleep unless I'm on the very edge of whatever bed I'm in. We tend to sleep in the same bed when we're together, depending on where we are. On her last visit to me, we conked out in my bed, and my poor husband had to go sleep in his son's room. If we don't sleep in the same bed, whoever gets up first tends to crawl into the other person's bed. Now that she has a son, we have big bed snuggles.

I did not realize this was weird until now. I love that room, except I hate pink. So I'd have gone with blue.

Archived