IGNORED

why I prefer the Gilbreths to our fundies

urban teacher

The biggest non-Duggar family I know is one with 13 kids. The first the parents had biologically and the rest were adopted, most with some sort of special needs. They're definitely very religious and they homeschool all but some of the kids in high school, but they're still fairly normal. Of course, I don't think they really count as a big family by Duggar standards. :roll:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do agree with some of your post, yet thankfully there were people who "knew better" back in that period too, or I'd be out picking cotton today.

The Gilbreths wanted education, for all their kids. YAHOO. But when you dig down and find out much of the truth behind the book/movie, I think this would be a family that many Free Jingerites (is that how it's spelled?????) would snark to high heaven - fundie or not!

There is absolutely no way we're going to find ANYONE from 100 or more years ago whose views are in line with our own, including the people who "knew better." The most enlightened, open-minded, politically correct person in 1912 or 1880 or 1850 would still be considered racist, sexist, or homophobic-- as well as snarkable-- by today's standards.

There is absolutely no way we're going to find ANYONE from 100 or more years ago whose views are in line with our own, including the people who "knew better." The most enlightened, open-minded, politically correct person in 1912 or 1880 or 1850 would still be considered racist, sexist, or homophobic-- as well as snarkable-- by today's standards.

I agree! I think it would be very hard to find anyone who really fits in with today's views especially those of Free Jingerites since we tend to be more on the liberal side of even today's standards.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I just will not condone racist attitudes because a hundred years "most people" thought that way. Well everyone did not and I disagree that on basic values and ideals you won't find some of the same a century ago as you would find today.

This family being highly educated and somewhat well off doesn't change the fact that they supported eugenics. I'm sure besides the large family, this idea is probably very acceptable to some fundie families.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I just will not condone racist attitudes because a hundred years "most people" thought that way. Well everyone did not and I disagree that on basic values and ideals you won't find some of the same a century ago as you would find today.

This family being highly educated and somewhat well off doesn't change the fact that they supported eugenics. I'm sure besides the large family, this idea is probably very acceptable to some fundie families.

I can reject someone's beliefs without completely rejecting him or her as a person.

As for eugenics being acceptable to fundie families, I would say not. Eugenics is rooted in Darwin's theory of evolution, which fundies universally reject. Fundies believe that human beings were designed and created by God in God's image. Proponents of the eugenics theories that were going around a hundred years ago believed that humans evolved from apelike ancestors and would continue to evolve in an upward direction, becoming healthier, more intelligent, more advanced, etc. Therefore, the pro-eugenics crowd believed that the "superior" humans who come from "superior" gene pools should have more babies and that those with "inferior" genes should have fewer, in order to speed up this process of evolution. The fundies in today's Quiverfull movement sometimes talk about having more babies in order to out-birth the Muslims, but this has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with a belief that Christians are genetically superior to Muslims. The ones who took the eugenics movement to the extreme level were the atheistic Nazis, which resulted in the anti-eugenics attitudes we see today.

As for eugenics being acceptable to fundie families, I would say not. Eugenics is rooted in Darwin's theory of evolution, which fundies universally reject. Fundies believe that human beings were designed and created by God in God's image. Proponents of the eugenics theories that were going around a hundred years ago believed that humans evolved from apelike ancestors and would continue to evolve in an upward direction, becoming healthier, more intelligent, more advanced, etc. Therefore, the pro-eugenics crowd believed that the "superior" humans who come from "superior" gene pools should have more babies and that those with "inferior" genes should have fewer, in order to speed up this process of evolution. The fundies in today's Quiverfull movement sometimes talk about having more babies in order to out-birth the Muslims, but this has everything to do with religion and nothing to do with a belief that Christians are genetically superior to Muslims. The ones who took the eugenics movement to the extreme level were the atheistic Nazis, which resulted in the anti-eugenics attitudes we see today.

I was reading along, nodding away, then.. Oh yes, I forgot about those terrible atheistic Nazis! I'm not sure where so many people get the idea that the Nazis, heavily Catholic, were atheists.

I was reading along, nodding away, then.. Oh yes, I forgot about those terrible atheistic Nazis! I'm not sure where so many people get the idea that the Nazis, heavily Catholic, were atheists.

The German people were Catholic and Lutheran, but the Nazi regime was not.

Hitler actually was very hard on the Catholic Church. Churches were closed and many priests were imprisoned. Hitler was kinda an atheist, although he tried to start his own state religion. The religion itself is interesting and worth reading up on.

Archived